• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My car wont start unless i let it cool down?

Ive been having issues with my car not starting right after i turn it off, everything powers up, it cranks like normal and I don't have a mil but just wont turn over. After i let it sit for about 15 minutes everything works fine, i think it might be the crank sensor. Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

Re: My car wont start unless i let it cool down???

Will it start if you wack the rear panel between the seats?

haven't tried hitting the rear panel but does the main relay have issues with over heating? I hear the fuel pump every time i turn the key on.

did you ever find the cause?

I did not, this issue only happens sometimes it’s not consistent enough for me to narrow down what the issue is. As you stated i would always hear my fuel pump turning over so i was ruling out the possibility of main relay

I also tried the "wiggle check" to see if it was possibly my ignition switch, everything seemed fine.

Still looking for help / suggestions

Last edited:

Battery: if you are using a standard non-sealed (eg not optima) battery. Get an inexpensive specific gravity tester and test the water in each cell. Chances are your battery is low on charge. If that's the case and the battery is at least five years old just go ahead and replace it.

Another vote for main relay. Especially if it works when the interior is cooled down. I still could be wrong, but that is almost the classic symptoms for Honda/Acura main relay.

I had the exact issues you described. It was particularly embarrassing when it wouldn't start for 10 minutes at the gas station. I swapped out the main relay and it went away completely. I wouldn't try to re-solder the contacts, just pick up a new one. Its less then a 5 minute install.

Thanks ill try the main relay seems like the easiest thing to try first.

Have you tried wacking the rear panel yet... :wink:

Have you tried wacking the rear panel yet... :wink:
I didn't want to wait until it happened again to try that, sucks not having the car start when everyone is looking. Thanks for the advice though:redface:

Last edited:

That actually worked for me for around a week until my relay came in :biggrin:

Yea, I did it for about a week also while mine was on order :tongue: Its great if you have somebody else in the car, you can be like The Fonz!

fonzie.jpg

Last edited:

I went ahead and ordered a new Main Relay. Once it ships and i get it installed i will keep you guys posted if it fixes the issue or not. "It might take a couple weeks to see if it is fixed" since the issue occurs randomly.

-Update-

So i got my main relay in and installed. I've Have had it in for 4-5 days and it hasn't died yet. Right after i installed the relay i took it out to try and get it to fail starting after warmed up. However, it started up fine every time.

I dont want to jump the gun and call it fixed yet because like i said it just wasn't consistent enough. I will post another update in a couple weeks.
:cool:

You will be fine. Another member to the main relay fix club. We've all been through the exact same thing. It is a releif to k ow it will start when leaving a gas station lol

-Update-

So i got my main relay in and installed. I've Have had it in for 4-5 days and it hasn't died yet. Right after i installed the relay i took it out to try and get it to fail starting after warmed up. However, it started up fine every time.

I dont want to jump the gun and call it fixed yet because like i said it just wasn't consistent enough. I will post another update in a couple weeks.
:cool:

Still no problems starting.

Thanks Prime :biggrin:

Glad to hear.

Not to take sales away from Honda, but resoldering the joints on the main relay is really not very hard. I did mine about three years ago after experiencing the classic main relay problems, and it's been fine ever since.

And please allow me to nit-pick a little bit.

"Won't turn over" = in my history, this means that the starter will not engage to "turn the motor". Also means "won't crank".

If it cranks and you hear the "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah" of the starter motor but the car does not start (does not fire) that usually means the battery is fine but there's something else wrong: main relay (no spark and/or fuel delivery because of the computer not getting power), or no spark due to other ignition problems, or no fuel due to fuel pump issues, or the ignitiion switch works in the "start" position but the "run" position is not providing current to the ignition system.

If the car does not even crank ("won't turn over"), then the ignition switch could be the problem (the switch is not providing current to the starter motor), or the battery is dead (not strong enough to turn the starter), or the starter is bad (won't turn the motor).

Just trying to be more precise in our explanations of the problems. Thanks for letting me be anal.
:redface:

Last edited:
I like, "It won't catch" :biggrin:

If the car does not even crank ("won't turn over"), then the ignition switch could be the problem (the switch is not providing current to the starter motor), or the battery is dead (not strong enough to turn the starter), or the starter is bad (won't turn the motor).
:redface:

Would it be fair to add "Clutch pedal switch" to this list? I haven't looked under the NSX clutch pedal lever but on most manual transmission cars there is a little switch somewhere down there with a button that gets depressed whenever the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. Also for our slushbox frends there is some type of switch in the transmission shit selector assembly that is engaged when the car is in park or neutral. This switch can also prevent the starter motor from working.

Back