• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Dream in Blue

Mike I didn't thank you maybe for the plastic you sent me. Thank you. Let me know what I owe you for the mail. And your car is looking pretty good.. For... A blue car. Ok I said it.

Hey guys,
I bet you haven't seen one of these before. I made this yesterday :biggrin:.

Mike

Clear Anodized Aluminum NSX-R engine cover prop

weight is a whopping 1.55oz

R-Prop-Rod.gif

I modified this bender a few years ago for making hood and e-cover props.

Bender.gif

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Look what was waiting for me at the hotel today.

Aero.gif

When we installed the sc we found out i was missing the spacers for the fuel rails. Only option we had at the time was to use plastic spacers. When i went to my Dad's house for Thanksgiving i was telling him about the install and the spacers so he fired up his lathe and made these for me :smile:.

Spacers.gif

And when i told him i needed to get a pump to change the oil he gave me this very cool antique brass extractor. It uses leather instead of rubber for the seals.

Extractor.gif

Mike

Whipple for 3.2
Low boost pulley (6lbs)
AEM FI/C
Injectors (RC SL9-0550 550cc)
OEM FPR
OEM fuel pump
Pride V2
Stock CATs

Ran out of fuel pump just over 7k rpm

Mike

DYNO.png

Last edited:
Why the R cover doesn't fit the NSX-T.

Lots of people have asked that over the years including myself but we never got a exact reason from any of the vendors. I looked this over after receiving my cover and this is what i have found.

Some have said that the NSX-T has a raised area on the firewall that keeps it from working but if you look at the picture below you will see that it actually goes lower on the outsides then the coupe which makes it look raised. Pay attention to how low it drops down from the bottom of the rear window because on the coupe it stays near the bottom.

Targa-down_zps6230c522.gif

The difference is how far the hinge area of the NSX-T extends toward the rear of the car. The distance from the hinge bolts to the seal.

Ecovercompare_zpsd3050504.gif

This puts the Z bar support of the R engine cover directly over the NSX-T seal location instead of beside it like the coupe when the cover is down. Some are saying they give information on cutting to modify the R cover but that would only work if you cut a section from the Z bar support on both sides. I wouldn't suggest that since it will take the rigidity from the cover and make it more flimsy. I believe this would be most noticable when propped up by one side, the other may sag.

Z-bar-support_zps083ab72f.gif

The location causing the problem is shown below. If the Z bar support for the R cover is the red lines you can see where they will contact at the arrows. Past the drop doesn't matter.

contact-area_zps0f5c16f7.gif

Here you can see with about 6mm spacers that they still contact enough to not allow the cover to sit flush and this is already to high for the correct look when down. I believe this was with the seal removed so it was contacting the metal.

Seal-contact_zpsa302a585.gif

Mike

Hey guys,
Look what was waiting for me at the hotel today.

When we installed the sc we found out i was missing the spacers for the fuel rails. Only option we had at the time was to use plastic spacers. When i went to my Dad's house for Thanksgiving i was telling him about the install and the spacers so he fired up his lathe and made these for me :smile:.

Mike

Our dads are similar, mine's got all the biz for metal work, woodwork, computers.

Love the work, good stuff.
AJ

Got the car back from the shop. Had the hood painted again to get a better match and they did a good job. Took a lot of work to get the DF hood to look good with paint. The mold left places in the hood that when painted looked like dents and they didn't get them all out the first time but looks good now.

Finally installed the DF wing. The sides are berlina black and the center exposed CF.

Installed the CF diffuser

Installed the NSX-R front bumper undertray and the battery undertray.

Installed the NSX-R hood duct

Last edited:
Hi,

love it Mike....

and as socalx mentioned in another thread, you only need coupe hingues and spacers to fit a NSX-R engine cover (or replica) into your targa :wink:

Nuno

Hey Mike, I bought a used CF hood as well. It's JDM but I forget which manufacturer. It has some slight waves like you mentioned. Do you know what they did to smooth that out? Just a lot of finish bondo and block sanding?

your builds are one of my favorites!

Last edited:
Car looks GREAT! Love it. Very very nice example of an LBBP.

Hey Mike, I bought a used CF hood as well. It's JDM but I forget which manufacturer. It has some slight waves like you mentioned. Do you know what they did to smooth that out? Just a lot of finish bondo and block sanding?

your builds are one of my favorites!

We used fiberglass/marglass to straighten then eventually use mud and blocked it perfectly straight. I don't believe any aftermarket R hoods are truely straight!

Thanks so much everyone! :smile:

@UnhuZ
Hi Nuno, please look at post #132 for R cover on a targa.

@RYU
I will ask the shop and let you know.

@DragonBallZ
Dom, wish you could have made it to C&C last week. Hopefully my next time in.

Mike

Hi Mike,

then i'm lost to how Anil and socalx had the OEM one in their Targas.... socalx said recentrly in SOS thread that it would only need coupe hingues and spacers, nothing more.

I'm puzzled here.

Nuno

Nuno,
You could install it with thick enough spacers but it would sit at an angle, higher near the window and lower toward the rear. When viewed from the side there is a gap between the body and seal on the sides and the front sits too high on the window. It might look ok with the hatch down but with hatch raised it looks bad.

Hope you and the family are doing well my friend.
Mike

Comtec,

Your car has turned out absolutely amazing. Congrats to you!

Thank you very much, i really appreciate that!

Mike

:smile:
:smile:

Finally got a few pictures with the emblem mounted on the SC.

What do you guys think?

Cars doing great but i still don't get to see it very much. Starts right up every time. Finally got around to installing the aluminum fuel rail spacers, the nylon worked pretty well :redface:. The Honda badge is staying on the SC, thought it would get too hot but the SC stays cool to the touch.

Pics from last trip home.

Mike

Last edited:
Cars doing great but i still don't get to see it very much. Starts right up every time. Finally got around to installing the aluminum fuel rail spacers, the nylon worked pretty well :redface:. The Honda badge is staying on the SC, thought it would get too hot but the SC stays cool to the touch.

Pics from last trip home.

Mike

Excellent mod choices!!! I am glad you had the whole top of the hood painted instead of the portion behind the open vent exposed.

Back