• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My First aerodynamic test with wool tuffs

So there isn't any benefits from mounting them at the same location as the EVO?

Based on textbook knowledge and MvM’s video: no, I don’t expect that mounting vortex generators at the trailing edge of an NSX’s roof is going to give you any measurable benefit. At the trailing edge of a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX's or a Renault Logan Eco2’s roof, yes, because their rear windows are so steep. On airplane wings that sometimes stand so steeply in the airflow (large angles of attack) that the airflow would otherwise separate, yes. In front of the gently sloping rear windows of an NSX or Ferrari 458, no.

But there's only one way to find out for sure: test it!

If anyone wants to read the paper that was released from Mitsubishi:

Vortex Generator Research

Due to the limit on PDF size, had to post it as a link to my google docs. Good Reading. Also of note, the long tufts are meaningless for indicating streamlines. I'll try to dig up some of the SAE references on the parameters and guidelines for using tufts. All the mistakes were worked out, might as well use the prescribed outlines versus reinventing the wheel.

Placing vortex generators in stalled air doesn't yield any improvement, they need to be placed prior to flow separation. The idea is to shift laminar flow to turbulent flow and keep the streamline from detaching, or maintain attached flow through a transition of laminar to turbulent flow before seperation. Maintaining the streamline keeps the low pressure from shifting away from the body and creating a local reversed flow field; both of which increase drag and result in an increased source of lift.

Well lets see how the link works.

Well lets see how the link works.
The link works perfectly for me.

Placing vortex generators in stalled air doesn't yield any improvement, they need to be placed prior to flow separation.
On page 12, the paper states that the vortex generators should be located “just before the separation point.” Looking at MvM’s video, that would be right across the middle of the rear window.

Back