• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My first carbon fiber part

Decided to go small first....passenger side radiator bracket.

After several failed attempts at a mold and a couple of more fail parts to due leak in infusion, I finally have a usable part.

Not perfect but it's a start.
Just need to polish it and move on to drivers side.

388dee400d50cd8f8180271c26ebf622.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow. That looks really good. Nice job!Ive made a few parts and sadly i suck at it something awful

Last edited:
Looks really nice. What's the weight difference?

Looks good. I've made about 30 of these. Wet sand it then clear it if you haven't. Nice DIY....

Funny you post this because I was wondering what to do to bring out the shine.....thanks

I will post another pic when done

Funny you post this because I was wondering what to do to bring out the shine.....thanks

I will post another pic when done

Just a bit on pointers.

Part looks great. For your holes instead of a Dremel or Regular drill bit utilize a Unibit. They create very clean holes. These also reduce chances of messing up. Big pro regarding Unibit is they are step teared in hole size and don't require having to remove a bit to up in size. An all in one item. Cost about 20 bucks depending where you find them. I purchased mine at Sears and scored an extra online ebay.

As for the clear, Automotive clear. You can get away with a good shine by polishing by hand but will not have the same effect. Out of the can clear have a tendency to flash to quick or create white speckles.

If you have not had enough practice with two part 4:1 ratio auto clear you can follow a few pointers in dong so by hand.

Without clear:
- wet sand starting at 1000 grit working your way up to 3000.... 1000,1200,1500 then 3000. Of coarse this is after all your trimming and edges are up to your specs.

Usually by the 3000 grit you will have a Matt finish which looks great and has a sheen look at the same time. I have tried many steps and these have not failed me with a OEM or better quality finish. Also each grit reduces scratches at a final pace.

For a local purchase 3m rubbing compound at Walmart will suffice followed by a machine polish or swirl remover from Maguires or mothers polishes. This may take a bit of elbow but the result starts to show appearance. Only issue with hand polishing is the inconsistent shine, this is why I stick to automotive clear which I would recommend and requires less of an effort. Takes practice but I have mentored folks online proper technique with only texts and pictures.

PM me if you have any questions I'm always up for composite talk.

Best regards

Gil

Thanks for the tips......yeah i know, those holes came out hideous but they'll be hidden by the screws...lol

What auto clear do you recommend?

Since this is an interior bay piece you don't have to go all out. There are a plethora of clears available.

DuPont has a cheap clear that can flash and dry quickly ie: nason
Chroma base being their higher end with Premier high solids which isn't needed.

Shopline another brand from PPG can be utilized.

Finish 1st a lower VOC level clear that applies smoother than the top two mentioned. Can be ordered from ebay at about 75 bucks.

All mentioned above will range at the same price range by the gallon with activator/hardener before moving up to your more expensive series of clears.

Another option send them to me, I'll clear them for free and supply pics at your convenience just to see a nice DIY project come to light. I'm actually working a couple projects that will be cleared. Just a suggestion..

All the best

Thanks again.....definitely want to finish this myself but will keep you in mind on other projects.

You did a vacuum-infusion? What kind of resin? Nice. I'm a composites engineer. I would also recommend spar-varnish urethane topcoat in a rattle-can. I use it for my decorative carbon parts.

FX

Looks very nice. You are getting good compaction on the material. Should be a nice strong part.
What kind of resin are you using. VE?

Back