• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My home was burglarized!

I left my home today at 2:40pm. My buddy and his daughter came over to the house from 5pm to 6pm. Sometime between 6pm and 9pm our home got broken into through the garage. My buddy's daughter noticed that the garage door was strangely partly cracked open about a foot when she got home about 9:30pm. They did not enter the home it seems but stole my daughter's Honda CRF50. They probably would of stolen more but they brought the dog into the house, and she's a VERY good burglar alarm. I've caught someone breaking into the neighbor's car because of our dog barking. Anyhow, it really sucks because I've been thinking about taking my daughter riding again for the past week or two. Now she won't be able to go anymore. The home owner's insurance deductible is $1k and the bike was just over that. Pretty much pointless. I'm pissed and silently in a deep rage. The only fortunate part is no one got hurt and nothing in the house got taken thanks to the dog. I only wish I WAS in the house at the time. My glock is always warmed up and ready to go. This town is small. I will find the truck that was parked out front when they left the house.........

l_3ef228812c5e846c8fd2d29c464a0c3b.jpg

l_e436f7d2a72f39286fa650ab373ffc26.jpg

l_f987a85f72c24bb92ba2187b9b5c4fd3.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that.

Cute kid! Does it help when motorbiking to have shoes on the wrong feet :wink: Sorry - I have two young kids too so I notice things like that!

Sorry for the loss. Three time victim here. One of them was a relative from a customer at work (drug addict) police did nothing. Had his relatives and friends casing my house/walking past afterwards, threatening all kinds of crap. Moved to Japan haven't worried too much since. The emotional turmoil lasts a loooong time. Bastards. :mad:

What, you too!?! :mad::mad::mad: Jeeze this country is going to hell in a handbasket really quick right about now. Well I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'm still putting back together the pieces of my burglary from this past Tuesday. The one lesson I learned is to just try to improve your security as best as you can and to really get to know your neighbors and community.

Wow, it's good no one was hurt. Things are replaceable, and likely insured. But the feeling of violation can run pretty deep, I know.

On the bright side, that's a cute kid.

Sorry to hear!!! Well in my neighborhood some damn lil cholo keeps breaking into all the cars on my block! He must have hit around 5 cars on my block already! $hit i thought i was gonna leave all that behind in la puente!

Thank you for all the kind words.

Yeah I recently read your thread Vegas. That's horrible. Didn't realize that my number was pulled next. It's one of those things where you don't think it's going to happen to you. Or more accurately, one of those things that you HOPE don't happen to you.

It's a real disappointment that it happened on our court since we basically know everyone here very well. It's just the surrounding couple streets that we don't know as well. As a matter of fact, we live within spitting distance of many law enforcement, corrections, former military, etc. Everyone here is hard working middle class. It's just the ONE house at the the end we ALL worry about. The rental property who has ALOT of traffic going to them, lots of visitors. We really watch out for each other but there's nothing we can do when either we're not home or someplace in the house doing something.

They got through the garage door because it's the older wooden frame style that swings upward rather than steel sliding. We found out last night that when you tug in the middle it won't budget. But when you pull up on one of the lower corners, it twists bad enough that you fit a person in it. Once inside, they just pulled the emergency release. Our rottweiler inside the house at the time made sure they stayed outside the house. Apparently one of the neighbors heard her going nuts all the way through the doors and walls of our home and looked outside but saw nobody.

We used to have a simple alarm installed 7 or so years ago before I moved in. However, my buddy designed it to keep people IN, not out. He's got two teenage kids who were in high school and jr high at the time who liked to sneak out late at night. The house is sealed pretty tightly unless they shatter a window or break down a door. We're further securing our home today and obviously changing our behavior around here. We are looking into the camera setups. I actually have one and been wanting to install it at the house now for 2-3 years. Wouldn't of mattered, it would have recorded. Its purpose was to be able to flip to channel 3-4 when the dog barked outside to give us a clear view of all our cars and front of the house.

Financially, we are VERY VERY VERY lucky they did not get in the house. They could of stolen anything in the house but my laptops and papers are priceless. We're a household of people who go big on all the things we like to do.

The feeling of violation really shook up buddy's daughter. She couldn't shake it loose till the three of us sat down and drank some wine and gotta a little tore up. She still can't shake the feeling, she was upset that were talking about what could of been stolen and she was more worried about what if she was home at the time. She's going to be going through the course and purchasing herself a handgun VERY soon, my buddy will make sure of that part, and it was her idea to learn after last night. As guys, we can't help but let our rage and money issues fluster us when things go bad. For women, it's the other way around. For me when I went to bed, I didn't know if I should stay enraged and angered because of the theft, or if I wanted to cry because they took my little girl's motorcycle. Maybe a combination of the two.

Yeah, my daughter is a wonderful little girl. She's good on the 50 even if she can't control the shifter or brakes. She actually sits in front of me on it and I simply let her control the throttle to her little heart's desire. She's been doing it now for about a year and is turning 4 in march. She gets a kick out of me freaking out because she'll goose it hard enough that we'll somehow go sliding around corners on the tiny 50 and I'm barely able to keep us upright when she does so lol. As long as I have control over brakes and shifter, we're good to go because I still have most of the control lol.

My daughter is a little trooper. She loves doing the things I do, probably just because she likes doing things with her dad. From riding around the neighborhood on the aprilia scooter, to riding her 50, to bicycle rides with her in the trailer, to even riding around on my longboard where she'll stand on the same big board and hang onto my thigh and especially, being co-pilot in the nsx.

Last edited:
Glad to see no one was hurt. On the other hand, I hope the intruders get caught and pay for their crimes.

I live in a affluent neighborhood, but during the day when everyone's at work, we have criminals posing as dry cleaning or salesmen scouting out each home. One even asked my wife for a drink of water, and she agreed (duh).

If I didn't have kids at home, I'd probably be a gun owner.

Having a kid at home is one reason I highly encourage gun ownership. Obviously just have to be smart about it like getting a biometric safe.

This really frustrates me bad. We live in a good neighborhood in a good area! The dirtbags seem to find their way to us. Since I caught the one kid breaking into my neighbor's truck, I haven't slept at night since then. I'm lucky to get to bed by 3:30-4:30am, regardless of what time I got to wake up in the morning. Then this happens at the most bizarre time of day, the time most americans are home. Just a fluke I didn't come back home or that my buddy and his daughter went out to dinner.

Really sorry to hear about this David. Let me know if you need anything.

Doug

sorry to hear about this man. glad everybody's ok. i live with a room-mate and one of his friends stole a $3k watch sitting on my work table when the girlfriend-unit and i were out. these things happen man. but the bright side is that material things are one of few things that are replaceable in life so don't sweat it too much.

btw, i'm sure you're wondering...i'm a lazy bastard and the nsx has been sitting in the garage for almost 6 months now without a single start, dust everywhere.:eek: i haven't even had time to take the M3 out. i've been squeaking along in an 81' diesel rabbit, haha :rolleyes:. i've been stuck with the auntie helping her run the family business so hopefully a supercharger is on its way:wink:

wish you the best man. starting looking on craigslist and ebay for that bike...

This really sucks. For a minute I thought it was the same post as Vegas'.

My wife and I think a whole lot about security. Perhaps what we do can help some of you guys out there pump up on your security measures.

All Exterior lights on at night.
Install some motion detector flood lights.
Never reply back to Evites that you will be out of town etc.
Never post anything online of what you have especially jewlery.
Never rely on community gates.
Always park car in garage (if you have one)
Never let neighbors know your personal stuff.
Set up automatic lights that comes on and off at different time.
Never tell people that you will be on a business trip esp. when there's only 2 of you.
Do not answer the door if you are not expecting visitors.

You get the point.

Sorry to hear about this, I remember when our home was broken into when I was 12. I just couldn't believe it - all they stole was our VCR and it looked like they ripped it from the coax so they were leaving in a hurry. I'm not sure if we walked in upstairs when he was there or if our toilet started running (sorta sounds like somebody flushed it upstairs) and that spooked him. It was a very strange and surreal experience.

As far as being angry, try to let it go - it turned out as well as it possibly could have. You wish you would have been there when he walked in, and had your glock to his temple or something, but I guarantee that violent situation would have shaken up your daughter much more than the fact that some phantom person came and went with that bike. And who knows, the guy might have carried a weapon as well. She likely doesn't even care about the bike, she cares about who's riding on the bike with her :) And there's always another bike. What goes around comes around, and this guy will get his. Enjoy your beautiful daughter.

Having a kid at home is one reason I highly encourage gun ownership. Obviously just have to be smart about it like getting a biometric safe.

This really frustrates me bad. We live in a good neighborhood in a good area! The dirtbags seem to find their way to us. Since I caught the one kid breaking into my neighbor's truck, I haven't slept at night since then. I'm lucky to get to bed by 3:30-4:30am, regardless of what time I got to wake up in the morning. Then this happens at the most bizarre time of day, the time most americans are home. Just a fluke I didn't come back home or that my buddy and his daughter went out to dinner.

Psycological damage last a long time. You don't 'just get over it'. I understand about the sleeping. Once you have had someone break in while you are sleeping (with loved ones in the house also) every little sound wakes you up. I didn't sleep properly until i moved out of the area. The criminal gets away and i still suffer anxiety! Probably will forever.

What the most frustrating aspect is that people think it's normal to say, "stuff happens, get better security". We shouldn't have to live in our own prisons. This normalisation of crime is getting ridiculous. Moving to Japan and seeing the huge difference in attitudes has been a huge cultural eye opener. One reason why i dont want to move back home. I shouldn't have to pay some insurance compeny to protect things i've worked hard for and to have them taken away. All about profits in every sector. Man, i hate people!:mad::smile:

Wow. Two in 1 week? Do you think this type of thing is up with the economy in the crapper?

Sucks I know the feeling of not being able to sleep, I once had someone break in while I was home. You always think you know what to do, but I was soo startled that I pretty much freaked out and froze, didnt go so well.

Oh on a light note my wife pointed out that your daughter shoes are on the wrong feet, lol:biggrin:

What the most frustrating aspect is that people think it's normal to say, "stuff happens, get better security". We shouldn't have to live in our own prisons. This normalisation of crime is getting ridiculous. Moving to Japan and seeing the huge difference in attitudes has been a huge cultural eye opener.
+1.

I didn't move to Japan, but rather to a rural area. I did it partly to avoid the mayhem associated with city life, and I largely got what I was looking for. Drivers are courteous on the road here (at least the locals; the LA/SD folks passing through on the way to Mammoth are another story), burglaries are very rare in my neighborhood, and so on.

+1.

I didn't move to Japan, but rather to a rural area. I did it partly to avoid the mayhem associated with city life, and I largely got what I was looking for. Drivers are courteous on the road here (at least the locals; the LA/SD folks passing through on the way to Mammoth are another story), burglaries are very rare in my neighborhood, and so on.

i agree with that too.

The money obsessed are destroying community values. Has been for a long time. The whole system and the generations born in them are getting worse. Everybody do the zombie shuffle. The enron documentary and the comments the brokers made, make me sick. The business attitude of screw the other before they screw you is destroying any decency we as a people once (did we ever?) had...yeah i hate people in general:biggrin:

Yeah, she doesn't even realize that it's gone. She still asks me to go riding with her on the scooter because I've also got a little Aprilia SR50 scooter that I put back and forth to class with to save gas. She likes the scooter alot better, I just don't like having her out on the street with me, even though we do live in a nice court.

As for the shoes, that's been a habit I've been working on trying to have her break now for a LONG time lol. She now walks up to me and asks me, "Daddy, is this wrong backwards?" I'm not quite sure if she translate "wrong backwards" into the right way, or if she translates that into the wrong way?

Man that bugs me! I just took it out 2 weeks ago to flush the tank and carb because the gas went bad in it. Been running on the same tank of gas for well over a year lol. It gets GREAT gas mileage. But it's like I tuned it up to start on one kick and idle so perfect for a bunch of punk asses to steal it.

Its like our neighborhood all of a sudden took a dive because suddenly we're getting hit with crime now.

Just remember, don't make permanent solutions to temporary problems. It's always better to be stolen from than be the thief that risks life and limb for basically nothing. He'd have to break into multiple homes a week to make any real money selling the stuff on the black market/clist/ebay. Not a very good risk vs reward.

Unless you are in TX I'd hesitate taking matters into your own hands. Not worth it when you have kids etc. that need you for the next 50 years.

...really get to know your neighbors and community.

This is excellent advice. Too often, people live somewhere for years and barely know the people next door (even in some of the most affluent areas).

I live in a nice area (some people might call is rural, but it's nice) and we know ALL of the neighbors on our street. We made a point of having them (and their kids) over for dinner soon after we moved in and they get Christmas baskets from us every year. You can bet my neighbors pay attention when something looks out of place. Even during the day, when people are at work, some neighbor is around, and if something looks strange, they will come over or call to make sure all is ok. We also started something from our old neighborhood. We got people into the habit of waving whenever they see someone outside. So, if a car drives by and the person doesn't wave, we know they are not from around here.
------------------------------------------------
Sorry to hear about people breaking into your homes and your privacy. I hope they get caught soon.

This is excellent advice. Too often, people live somewhere for years and barely know the people next door (even in some of the most affluent areas).

I live in a nice area (some people might call is rural, but it's nice) and we know ALL of the neighbors on our street. We made a point of having them (and their kids) over for dinner soon after we moved in and they get Christmas baskets from us every year. You can bet my neighbors pay attention when something looks out of place. Even during the day, when people are at work, some neighbor is around, and if something looks strange, they will come over or call to make sure all is ok. We also started something from our old neighborhood. We got people into the habit of waving whenever they see someone outside. So, if a car drives by and the person doesn't wave, we know they are not from around here.
------------------------------------------------
Sorry to hear about people breaking into your homes and your privacy. I hope they get caught soon.
+1
when we moved in to this house 10 years ago, we mapped the neighborhood for 2 blocks, then over the next few months went door-to-door and met each neighbor family. our neighborhood keeps a current listing, phone and email directory for all neighbors - many of us have keys to others homes to help out if someone's delayed in getting home / on vacation, etc.

we also have neighborhood events (bbq's, bday celebrations, concerts, etc) throughout the year and, overall, do a pretty good job of staying current with folks.

something i've found is that not everyone in the hood is a "joiner", but everyone appreciates a call when from a neighbor when something's not right around their house.

This is a sad story for sure, and there are far too many of them just like it popping up every day in every part of the country. I know the economy is bad but I still think it takes a pos to break into someones home. I don't think honest working men who have lost their jobs suddenly became professional thieves.

There have been a few home invasions in very nice areas in my city. That is what I worry about considering I have two young children. I would have a gun handy if it weren't for the kids as well.

Back