• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My NSX was stolen right out of my driveway: Black '95 JH4NA1187ST00235

Now here is something we can work with.

So far, the best way to stop your NSX from vanishing.
Always back into the driveway.

Well it's a start!:smile:

Jack

Or turn the steering wheel all the way right or left. You can't tow the car because it will want to do circles.

Nice looking car Doug - you did well. Not a bad trade to have that and 17k! Not bad at all. Makes it all a little easier to take. Say guys this might be a good one to buy though. Doug can you find out what the deal would be from the Insurance company in case someone here might benefit from this set of unfortunate/fortunate circumstances. You never know who might want that car - lots of folks are looking right now. Just a thought.

Thanks for the pics - hope you love it!

I've just been informed by the Boss-ett. She'll take the $79,000.:eek:

I'm a dead man!:mad:

Or turn the steering wheel all the way right or left. You can't tow the car because it will want to do circles.

I love you man.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Anyways, here's the final update to my stolen NSX saga. I received my check for $29,340 ($27900 valuation, $2440 tax and license reimbursement, less my $1000 deductible) from Farmers for my stolen '95 NSX that was, ironically recovered with minimal cosmetic damage (Rear reflector by the trunk latch with the NSX logo was gone, and the rear antenna was snapped off) the day after Farmers signed off on the transfer papers. Farmers was either not willing or not able to entertain the discussion of me buying back the car at a reduced price once they had it. I was told that it will be auctioned off as a salvage vehicle. The car was recovered in a chop shop sting operation in Chula Vista, CA, apparently within a day or two of it being illegally parted out.

Folks who are looking for a cheap NSX may want to keep their eyes peeled in the auctions in the Southern California area for a 95 Black NSX with salvage title having something like 74-75K miles, because I can tell you for a fact, it was NOT re-built from an accident, it's never been in one other than some trivial parking lot dings. The VIN is listed in the thread title. It is due for a timing belt replacement. The car has never been raced, and it only had 2 owners other than the insurance company - myself, and the original owner, a famous Apollo 8 Astronaut named William Anders (the guy who shot the famous Earthrise photo). But this same NSX, which was IMHO fairly valued by the insurer at $27,900 with clean title, will probably sell in auction for something in the $15-18K range as a salvage title vehicle that needs maybe ~$500 worth of cosmetic work and ~$1000 of routine 60-75K mileage service to put it back as it was. As for me, I bought my really nice Miata for $12K plus tax and license, put 17K into the bank, and I moved on. I would like for my NSX to find a good home with an enthusiast on this site who maybe can't afford $30-50K for a newer, low mileage clean car, to get themselves a deal on a car that's probably intrinsically worth $10K more than what it will sell for, because it's now got a salvage title hung on it.

BTW, as for the spare set of tires I had, I have sold the rears, the front tires (Sumitomo HTRZ 225/45ZR/16) are still available at a good price - check the classifieds around March 18th for more details.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if this will make it any harder for a flat bed tow truck to steal your car.

All they need to do is hook the winch to your car and drag it up the flatbed.

I'm not sure if this will make it any harder for a flat bed tow truck to steal your car.

All they need to do is hook the winch to your car and drag it up the flatbed.

Besides towing I dont think it would be to hard to drive off with the car. Remember early hondas can be taken in less than a min. The door opens easy with a slim jim the ignition switch pops out and ur gone. As far as the newer cars go you would need a honda pgmi tester to program a key so the immobilizer thinks the key is there. Once done then I would think you could pop the ignition switch and start the car.But this is just a guess from what I learned in school when programing a new key.

Besides towing I dont think it would be to hard to drive off with the car. Remember early hondas can be taken in less than a min. The door opens easy with a slim jim the ignition switch pops out and ur gone. As far as the newer cars go you would need a honda pgmi tester to program a key so the immobilizer thinks the key is there. Once done then I would think you could pop the ignition switch and start the car.But this is just a guess from what I learned in school when programing a new key.

Just install a fuel cutoff switch in the car. It's pretty simple to do... won't save a flat bed tow, but will stall people. You can access the fuel pump relay box thing behind the panel behind the seats... just wire a kill switch up to that. Car will turn over but not start... just hide the switch somewhere within reach of the driver but hidden. (so you use it every time)

(seems that usually people are trying to drive the car off versus towing it)

In the M5 forum, there was a '07 BMW M5 got stolen from the drive way, and it has some of the latest technologies on it. If someone out there really want to take your car, from your drive way, they'll eventually steal it. The best way to prevent it is to park it in your garage. I knew a guy who worked in a high-end car stereo store, and they had a team to "steal the stuff they installed". They knew exactly the value of their take and the risk, because they knew what kind of security system the car has(some were installed by them). He said that they can easily rip everything or steal the car when the car is parked outside. However, they never-ever go into the garage if the car is parked inside. I am not a expert in law, but what he said was that "there is a difference between grand theft and residential burglary, especially in California".

There is also statics showing how much safer your car is when parked in the garage compare to on the drive way. You can ask your insurance agent for that information, or google it.

Sadly one of our NE members had thier car stolen form a locked garage,some years ago.:eek:

nsx to miata.....although in this economy 17k in the bank sounds great. Good luck and hope you rejoin soon.

Im telling you with the car fuel cut off switch, detachible steering wheel, or even turning your wheels it won't matter. A four wheel car dolly will by pass all of that. The ultimate is park it in a garage. The second would be parking it out side but have the car on a vibration alarm or tilt alarm with multiple horns. And if you want to get really crazy drill a hole into the drive way and drop a I hook in and then chain one steering wheel to the I hook. Now thats extreme. Just remember to take it off when you leave for work...:eek:
Also if you have the money to protect your car it would be an nsx owners dream to do a dual low jack. So if they find one transmitter they'll stop looking and won't find the other. The only good thing that came out of his nsx that got stolen is that they busted the shop and maybe will slow down the car theft ring for a few months.

Would you know where in Chula Vista the chop shop was? I'm just asking because I live 5 minutes away :eek: .

Anyways, here's the final update to my stolen NSX saga. I received my check for $29,340 ($27900 valuation, $2440 tax and license reimbursement, less my $1000 deductible) from Farmers for my stolen '95 NSX that was, ironically recovered with minimal cosmetic damage (Rear reflector by the trunk latch with the NSX logo was gone, and the rear antenna was snapped off) the day after Farmers signed off on the transfer papers. Farmers was either not willing or not able to entertain the discussion of me buying back the car at a reduced price once they had it. I was told that it will be auctioned off as a salvage vehicle. The car was recovered in a chop shop sting operation in Chula Vista, CA, apparently within a day or two of it being illegally parted out.

Folks who are looking for a cheap NSX may want to keep their eyes peeled in the auctions in the Southern California area for a 95 Black NSX with salvage title having something like 74-75K miles, because I can tell you for a fact, it was NOT re-built from an accident, it's never been in one other than some trivial parking lot dings. The VIN is listed in the thread title. It is due for a timing belt replacement. The car has never been raced, and it only had 2 owners other than the insurance company - myself, and the original owner, a famous Apollo 8 Astronaut named William Anders (the guy who shot the famous Earthrise photo). But this same NSX, which was IMHO fairly valued by the insurer at $27,900 with clean title, will probably sell in auction for something in the $15-18K range as a salvage title vehicle that needs maybe ~$500 worth of cosmetic work and ~$1000 of routine 60-75K mileage service to put it back as it was. As for me, I bought my really nice Miata for $12K plus tax and license, put 17K into the bank, and I moved on. I would like for my NSX to find a good home with an enthusiast on this site who maybe can't afford $30-50K for a newer, low mileage clean car, to get themselves a deal on a car that's probably intrinsically worth $10K more than what it will sell for, because it's now got a salvage title hung on it.

BTW, as for the spare set of tires I had, I have sold the rears, the front tires (Sumitomo HTRZ 225/45ZR/16) are still available at a good price - check the classifieds around March 18th for more details.

Yes, park in a garage and padlock the garage door as well, to slow them down.
Kill switches are good as well, it all slows them down, so hopefully, they look for an "easier" target.

i remember when some douchenozzle had his nsx stolen... turned out it was repo'd for non payment. how it was "his" when he wouldn't make the payments, that part still escapes me. "his" mercedes ( i think) was also "stolen" shortly before his nsx! :biggrin:

i remember when some douchenozzle had his nsx stolen... turned out it was repo'd for non payment. how it was "his" when he wouldn't make the payments, that part still escapes me. "his" mercedes ( i think) was also "stolen" shortly before his nsx! :biggrin:

Sounds kinda shifty :wink:

I keep checking this thread hoping to hear that the car itself is fine and has gone into the hands of an enthusiast.

Im telling you with the car fuel cut off switch, detachible steering wheel, or even turning your wheels it won't matter. A four wheel car dolly will by pass all of that. The ultimate is park it in a garage. The second would be parking it out side but have the car on a vibration alarm or tilt alarm with multiple horns. And if you want to get really crazy drill a hole into the drive way and drop a I hook in and then chain one steering wheel to the I hook. Now thats extreme. Just remember to take it off when you leave for work...:eek:
Also if you have the money to protect your car it would be an nsx owners dream to do a dual low jack. So if they find one transmitter they'll stop looking and won't find the other. The only good thing that came out of his nsx that got stolen is that they busted the shop and maybe will slow down the car theft ring for a few months.

a good theft protection device, to place an ejector seat of F16 or Tomcat F 14 with a électronic box code, if the robber does not find the good code… it is ejected car :tongue:, that is valid only for one NSX T, of course, it there does not parachute with the seat!!!:biggrin:

Last edited:
a good theft protection device, to place an ejector seat of F16 or Tomcat F 14 with a électronic box code, if the robber does not find the good code… it is ejected car :tongue:, that is valid only for one NSX T, of course, it there does not parachute with the seat!!!:biggrin:

But then I would have to get my seat down from the trees.....lol. Also my wife is bad at remembering codes.....but I guess accidents happen :wink:

Back