• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My ScienceofSpeed Supercharger Build & Review

I was originally looking purchasing a Comptech Supercharger a few years ago, but I was rear ended in an accident with my '91 NSX, she was a total loss so I decided to upgrade. I found a squeaky clean '00 NSX-T from the U.S with only 16k miles on the odometer. I got the itch and started slowing modifying my NSX, so 2yrs later here I am looking for a few more horsepower to squeeze out of her.

I got the chance to meet with Chris Wilson at NSXPO 2009 and I spoke to him about the new product. Summed up basically, the system is based on a 2.1L Twin Screw Compressor using custom brackets utilizing the CT-Engineering intake manifold with an upgraded fuel and ignition management system. The System upgradeability was also there for those wanting more power with this capability one can also increase the power with a smaller pulley on a built engine so there is room to grow. In a nutshell, everything the CT-Engineering package offers but with a Kenne Bell 2.1L larger blower, with upgrades to larger RC550 injectors, 255lph Walbro fuel pump, and AEM fuel ignition controller for a stock motor build.

So with all that in mind I set some goals for my FI project:

1) Maintain as much of the stock NSX reliability & driveability.
2) Maximize the possible output of stock motor safely.
3) Making sure to keep the car emissions compliant, because after all we all love the environment and keeping the emission police happy too.
4) Keep the car as clean ‘OE’ looking as possible i.e bolt-on mods no cutting no hacking of the car itself.

I called and E-mailed Chris numerous times over a few months asking him various questions. One of the main issues I was concerned about was ODBII and use of a standalone management system, which cannot be done using AEM EMS. Chris assured me that are no problems as the system includes AEM F/IC fuel and ignition controller and fully compatible with ODBII. It is possible to go full standalone and do AEM EMS on 91-96 NSX’s but they do not offer anything for OBDII or at least right now. You can make EMS work on a newer car but there would be some hacking and removal of things, therefore, I would rather stick to the plug & play kit SOS developed.

After some debating of other systems Turbo, other Supercharger packages, and keeping in mind my original goals I set out I decided to take the plunge in the Spring 2010. I contacted Chris again to set me up with one of his systems. I already was a loyal SOS customer for years, plus I already knew the guys standing behind the products, services, and have come to expect and receive a good level of customer service… so my project FI story begins.

I made the arrangements with Rob Magro (Factorynsxtech here on prime) to do my timing belt and water pump service etc. I figured we can do the Supercharger at the same time. For those of you that don’t know Rob he is an Acura Master Mechanic, he also owns a Comptech charged NSX of which he tracks on a regular basis. First time I’ve worked with Rob, he is a pretty cool guy and I can’t say enough good things about him and his level of commitment and dedication he put into my car. All the late nights he stayed up working away to get it done. I should mention we did experience problems during the install and tuning process, I’ll mention them later in my review. But with some perseverance I managed to get through it with the help of both Chris and Rob. Rob when you read this thanks so much for your help and continued help on my project! You are a valuable asset to the NSXCC community and I highly recommend him to anyone requiring skilled work on the NSX or any Honda/Acura product!

After the initial installation with fresh timing belt & water pump with over too many trips to count back and fourth from Waterloo to Oakville, and Toronto. Plus 5 trips to 3 different dyno shops and 16hrs of dyno tune time later, the final tune was produced by Marco @ Magnus Motorsports http://magnusmotorsports.com. Thanks to Rob aka Turbo Rob (na1tor here on prime) for putting me in touch with Marco. Rob runs his own custom fabrication and automotive shop. Rob also works closely in conjunction with Magnus and has done some crazy turbo work on all kinds of cars. He currently has a ’91 with 3.2L monster creating only 480wrhp in a custom made twin turbo setup absolute craziness! His custom piping and welding work looks impeccable. Magnus utilizes a 424 AWD Dynojet unit for tuning I was fortunate enough to meet with, and work with one of the industries best. Check out his website and you’ll know why. During my last tuning session, Marco made it look easy after a few hours. After multiple partial and full throttle runs on the Dyno simulating real world driving conditions, he pulled the car off and handed over the keys and told me to take it for a spin.

First impression all I can say is WOW, as I pulled out of Magnus and laid a patch of rubber on the ground with almost no effort! I took it for a nice drive around residential streets, and on the highway returned to Marco with a huge grin. I should add the car should have come this way from factory! Still feels very balanced, and driveability is very good not taking away the stock feel. The intake makes a nice snarl hiss at idle, and growls deep and mean sounding into WOT with a nice whine from the Supercharger. The Supercharger is a lot quieter than the older Comptech Whipple by far, where as the Kenne Bell is almost silent in comparison around 1000~3500rpm normal driving or until you get on it.

My overall impression taking off 1st gear you can immediately feel the additional torque build over 200ft-lbs @ 2000rpm as it puts you back in the seat. For 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears feel colossal over stock power, the ability to spin the rear wheels in almost any of those gears on dry pavement surprised me at first. Boost is built almost instantly no lag and has a very responsive feel to the throttle. Travelling a highway speeds in 5th and 6th gear just a varying light pressure needs to be applied to the gas pedal to keep the car doing 110~120km/hr here in Canada or about 68~75mile/hr for you imperial guys. She seems to just want to take off keeping slight pressure on the pedal.

A few days after the dyno tune I’ve gotten a couple flashing check engine lights that when out, so 2 trip detection isn’t triggering it to stay on and only seemed to happen under WOT conditions. I do however get a violent shutter through the entire car all the time, if I let off the accelerator pedal too quickly when boost is built up. This first resulted in a flashing check engine light right after. Almost as if I was starving/choking the engine from screaming on the way to WOT. I figure the drive-by-wire response time closing the throttle is too quick, but I’m getting use to it now trying not to let off too quickly. Haven’t dumped the codes to see what they are, haven’t seen it come back on for a few weeks. So at the moment not really worried maybe a few learn cycles for the OEM computer fixed it for now guess time will tell?

As any FI build project like this, expect to hit a few problems here and there so include time and budget for them you gotta pay if you want to play. Problems addressed were a leaking drive snout seal out of the box, a random misfire problem, check engine lights, and some dyno tuning issues. This is where AEM and F/IC tuning experience is absolute key. Expect a good tuner with wideband & full data logging functions to charge around ~$200 an hour at least in GTA area and there are only handfuls that can handle AEM period. With that said, it took me 16hrs of dyno time plus the original installation time to get it right, so you can do the math. Some guys didn’t have issues with their install but I’m the percent error manufactures talk about, if its going to go wrong it will go wrong on me.

After a month and just over 1000kms of street driving the car drives pretty much the same as it did right from the Dyno. I’m running a bit on the rich side AFR hits low 10.5~11.5 under full boost under certain conditions, might have to return to the dyno tuner if it keeps diving into the too rich point. Either way you’d want it more rich than lean… Lean would be bad… very bad! Dyno Tuner did mention replacing carboned-up emissions components will be cheaper than blowing your motor any day no disagreement from me! I do get a hiccup now and then, feels like slight misfire when cold seems to occur when going from open to closed loop possible the AEM F/IC might be wonky going into closed loop. No engine lights as a result so not worrying about it. Once the engine has reached optimal operating temperature no problems, no hiccupping.

Potential long term problems you can expect to run into are clutch holding the extra power. Lucky for me the stock clutch is holding really good right now, so not sure how long before I need to replace it, time will tell? As for possible future mods, well I mentioned the clutch already when she slips then it will be time for a new upgraded one. I also have been considering the SOS Laminova Intercooler package, more for added safety on the stock motor than anything else. It will bring intake temps down for a denser air charge bringing boost down ~1 to 1.5psi resulting in less heat and resulting in some more power & torque.

My supporting engine mods are Comptech headers, ARK DT-X Exhaust, Uni-Filter drop in prior to FI. Before pulled the car out after 8 month storage period the old fuel made 259rwhp with 203ft-lbs torque on the lean side. I run 94 Octane religiously since ownership years ago the tuner worked it out to be a loss of ~1 octane per month the gas sits. And no I didn’t add stabilizer I totally forgot while in storage so Tuner figured I was robbed out at least 10~15hp probably lost at least ~8 octane so around ~86 or less. After the charger install the car produced 388rwhp with 274ft-lbs torque @ ~10.6psi of boost on fresh 94 Octane fuel 4th gear pulls. I should mention very little cool down time between dyno runs, engine and blower hot intake temps well over 180 degrees between runs. Not sure if it would have made anymore rwhp cold but I didn’t mind because that is simulation of real world driving in traffic. Expect a 3.2L to make ~10.6psi of boost checked with Chris and this is considered normal.

Thus far my overall impression is excellent. If you are on the fence about purchasing a Supercharger, I would definitely recommend the ScienceofSpeed Supercharger to anyone who set out similar goals as mine. :biggrin:

Everyone wants the numbers so here you go enjoy! See attach graphs:

Thanks,
Richie

Before:
97f434a2cad6128867f69719529f092b6g.jpg

After Last Dyno Tune with Supercharger:
104e4a7a56242ecb27473c1e12cffaee6g.jpg

Install Pics:
0ac23e1b72cbce853eefe82f4b0486be6g.jpg

a7a734a53be2894c6c6e2393cd82383c6g.jpg

b485b82527fee37b360622ccca9ea3346g.jpg

31801a2932b8042fc173f0def9037c636g.jpg

ea3accbc0ffdd8153a809a679d9015616g.jpg

0d11f000870c8836f7d5009538a202e76g.jpg

1d19699bab03a70510ca06c84df592b16g.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous looking car and great looking install. Glad you're liking the extra power.

It's quite a different car now, isn't it?! :)

Great write up. Beautiful car.

Are you going to keep the coupe strut tower brace, or change it for an NSX-T brace that fits with the supercharger?

Nice write up.

Aren't 180F~ pretty high temps?

I know in other FI cars I would get nervous with anything over 160F.

I wonder what has more gripping power, the NA1 or NA2 clutch?

Also, what size tires and make/model are you using?

You do know that every 1 psi adds 10F period and no intercooler is 100% efficient. Plus even in a N/A car the intake air is higher then the ambient temp. The question is how much is heat soak or not. My intercooled supercharger puts about 35-40F into my air intake temp (3K-8K WOT pull), but my normal air intake temp just driving around is 30-40 over ambient -- which is with some heat soak --- but again how much -- open element in the intake manifold.

Bottom line if the temp is 95-105 and you are boosting over 15 psi you will be over 160F period. The car companies know this , they also know the ait sensors are not accurate and are slow to respond. Its why turbo and supercharger cars from the factory run so rich and pull lots of timing as the temps rise.

Example: Hondata has data logged an S2000 running 50F over ambient temps --- is some of it heat soak --- sure but again how much. Now add a turbo or supercharger even with an 80% efficient intercooler and you have high temps. Your iats are much higher then you think.

Fantastic writeup Richie and congrats. I know you guys worked really hard on it and it looks like it was worth every second! Good to see you at the Erim Mills S&S. See you soon again!

Gorgeous looking car and great looking install. Glad you're liking the extra power.

It's quite a different car now, isn't it?! :)

Yes its I totally agree with others that the car should have come that way from factory :biggrin:

Nice, congrats on the Supercharger upgrade an I'm Happy that everything worked out for you.

Bram

Thanks Bram took a few months but we got it working properly, when will you be doing yours? :wink:

Nice write up.

Aren't 180F~ pretty high temps?

I know in other FI cars I would get nervous with anything over 160F.

I wonder what has more gripping power, the NA1 or NA2 clutch?

Also, what size tires and make/model are you using?

I thought it was high in talking to Chris he was saying normal to see those temps. Thats why I was thinking intercooler in the future hoping to lower the temps a bit. I guess you could do meth injection as well.

Not sure what the gripping power is on the stock but she is holding the power really well mine is ~388ish rwhp ~274ish ft-lbs right now I haven't had any slippage so far.

I'm running the cheapest bang for the buck right now Kumho Ecsta (KU31) SPT extra load versions. They turned out to be a really good street tire, all around good in conditions wet and dry we see in Ontario. I've had them on 3 seasons I think by the end of this one they will be done on the rear :biggrin:

Congrats bro! I love the Kenne Bell Twin Screws. I have a 2.6H on my 03 Cobra. It screams!

I love how its quiet at idle and low rpms surprised me at first thought it would be louder well until you you get on it then it has a nice whine to it. Is your 2.6 the bigbore series, wonder if yours is louder?

Great write up. Beautiful car.

Are you going to keep the coupe strut tower brace, or change it for an NSX-T brace that fits with the supercharger?

I used my old coupe brace on my Targa for a few months. The OEM one doesn't fit anymore. Chris sent me the newly finished brace from the kit in anodized black. Car is quite a bit stiffer than running the coupe brace. I will update the pics with the new brace soon.

You do know that every 1 psi adds 10F period and no intercooler is 100% efficient. Plus even in a N/A car the intake air is higher then the ambient temp.... Its why turbo and supercharger cars from the factory run so rich and pull lots of timing as the temps rise....

My tuner explained this as well I think on the average I'm seeing 170ish probably a bit lower than Chris shows on his plots. Tuner wanted to run a bit more on the rich side as it brings some safety in there for now.

Fantastic writeup Richie and congrats. I know you guys worked really hard on it and it looks like it was worth every second! Good to see you at the Erim Mills S&S. See you soon again!

Hey thanks was good seeing you too man. Hopefully I can get the car out on a few more drives before the end of the season, sucks having it gone for months.

great writeup and pics!

makes me want to go supercharged...but i think i would need to drive a few first before pulling this trigger, anyone in Socal wanna take me around sometime?:cool:

thanks for the great info + charts

You do know that every 1 psi adds 10F period and no intercooler is 100% efficient. Plus even in a N/A car the intake air is higher then the ambient temp. The question is how much is heat soak or not. My intercooled supercharger puts about 35-40F into my air intake temp (3K-8K WOT pull), but my normal air intake temp just driving around is 30-40 over ambient -- which is with some heat soak --- but again how much -- open element in the intake manifold.

Bottom line if the temp is 95-105 and you are boosting over 15 psi you will be over 160F period. The car companies know this , they also know the ait sensors are not accurate and are slow to respond. Its why turbo and supercharger cars from the factory run so rich and pull lots of timing as the temps rise.

Example: Hondata has data logged an S2000 running 50F over ambient temps --- is some of it heat soak --- sure but again how much. Now add a turbo or supercharger even with an 80% efficient intercooler and you have high temps. Your iats are much higher then you think.

In my GTO when I'm cruising for a long time on a cold day the ambient temps and intake temps will match up if no boost is used for a while.

It hoovers right at the 100F mark near Moffett AFB.

Stop and go traffic in the heat is a whole other story.

Question for both cptnsx and NSXcessive:

Does your Kenne belle sound anything like this? :biggrin:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rj4o7pBvdzg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rj4o7pBvdzg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVbzFhvhcgk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVbzFhvhcgk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Great write up Richie, can't wait to see you put all that power to work at the track. Now don't get caught for stunt driving. John and Rob will show you the line at the track!!

Besides a new clutch, you would be wise to budget a set of Brembos. Can't imagine taming all that power with OE brakes. Have fun.

great writeup and pics!

makes me want to go supercharged...but i think i would need to drive a few first before pulling this trigger, anyone in Socal wanna take me around sometime?:cool:

thanks for the great info + charts

I was on the fence like yourself set out some goals and then out weigh the options. I think right now the SOS is one of the best S/C kits out there and even more potential with a built motor.

Question for both cptnsx and NSXcessive:

Does your Kenne belle sound anything like this? :biggrin:

Wow that sounds mean! Mine is not quite the same in terms of loudness from your exhaust but its got a similar whine to it.

Clean NSX. Thank you for sharing your write up!

-- Chris

Thanks Chris nearing the end of my FI project for now happy with the car thus far :biggrin: No problem your welcome!

Great write up Richie, can't wait to see you put all that power to work at the track. Now don't get caught for stunt driving. John and Rob will show you the line at the track!!

Besides a new clutch, you would be wise to budget a set of Brembos. Can't imagine taming all that power with OE brakes. Have fun.

Oh you just brought up an excellent point I failed to mention. Yes with the increased power it does feel like the car would benefit from a BBK or even bigger or better rotors and pads. I'm running stock OEM originals from when the car was built. Btw no stunting... only on private property or closed roads and we'll keep that limited to my GSXR-600 lol :wink:

I run 18psi. Mine was very loud! Also, just sold this car :-(
Here is a short vid. You can really hear it scream on the drive by.
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x103/tilly_039/?action=view&current=MPHCobraVid2-1.mp4

Wow that is way louder than mine at 18psi! Is that a Kenne Bell 2.6? Very nice dyno plot smooth curve to redline 601rwhp with 564 ft-lbs!!! That thing must have been crazy to drive :biggrin:

Yes, 2.6H. It was a blast. I could rip the tires off going 60 mph. I will build another eventually. That one was way to nice. I only had 8,000 actual miles on it. I would rather have one that I wasnt worried about with higher milage. Enjoy your new found power!!!!

Yes, 2.6H. It was a blast. I could rip the tires off going 60 mph. I will build another eventually. That one was way to nice. I only had 8,000 actual miles on it. I would rather have one that I wasnt worried about with higher milage. Enjoy your new found power!!!!

What's ur engine set up? compression ratios?

I'm afraid to even think what I would be doing at 18psi with my engine built to handle 1000hp.....

Last edited:
uhmm, guys,

aside from the great pictures and wonderful torque curves, and terrific narrative,

if you actually read his report and read between the lines, it seems like he's having some stability issues with this set up? I don't mean to sound like a pest, but for $10,000, I expect this thing to go smooth and by the numbers.. He explains "hiccups"; and "tweaks"; and "my car jumps when I let off the throttle to quickly" or something to that effect; "check engine light here and there"; that he needs to make tweaks to the AFI etc etc... ok, well... how often are these to be made? Weekly? Monthly? And at what additional cost. All from a patron that has a car in the low teens for milage!, AND had a new belt/pump... Most of our cars I would guess are up in the 70+ thousand range..

I praise you for your honesty though, but it actually made me more concrete in my desire to stay NA. To each his own..

PS, I have yet to meet a muscle car on the highway that I haven't ended up admiring in my rearview mirror, enjoy your boost!....... my 3 cents.

Last edited:
It all depends on the tuner, and what he is looking for. There are enough people out there with various FI systems that have no problems to show it is possible, even easy. If you get it tuned right. Even the BBSC, which was for a while regarded as a sure way to destroy your engine, is reliable with AEM and a good tune (3k miles on mine so far).

Of course, even with low miles, it may be other issues with the car causing the trouble. Bad sensors of various types, who knows?

uhmm, guys,

aside from the great pictures and wonderful torque curves, and terrific narrative,

if you actually read his report and read between the lines, it seems like he's having some stability issues with this set up? I don't mean to sound like a pest, but for $10,000, I expect this thing to go smooth and by the numbers.. He explains "hiccups"; and "tweaks"; and "my car jumps when I let off the throttle to quickly" or something to that effect; "check engine light here and there"; that he needs to make tweaks to the AFI etc etc... ok, well... how often are these to be made? Weekly? Monthly? And at what additional cost. All from a patron that has a car in the low teens for milage!, AND had a new belt/pump... Most of our cars I would guess are up in the 70+ thousand range..

I praise you for your honesty though, but it actually made me more concrete in my desire to stay NA. To each his own..

PS, I have yet to meet a muscle car on the highway that I haven't ended up admiring in my rearview mirror, enjoy your boost!....... my 3 cents.

Thanks glad you enjoyed it I did take some time to do the write-up, plots, and pics and share my experiences with the kit for those interested. Yes I will probably have to tweak some things here and there but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I wanted as close to perfect as possible… whereas some people would just ignore it and continue one.

I mentioned before 'key' is your car will only run as good as the dyno tuner can tune it. Kit is proven as Chris pointed out to me while I was having some problems they never had or heard of for 50+ kits he has sold to date. I can see maybe one tweak to the tune a week or so after the inital, and you would see that almost after a few days of driving it.

Don't expect to have to keep returning to the dyno once tuned you are good unless you make changes to the setup. If you don't want the extra power and straight non-tuning then stick to the CT-Engineering S/C kit for around the same price. Viseversa for around the same price as thr SOS you are getting a lot more features & tweaking you cannot get from the CT kit.

I'm into 2 months of driving & she is stable and I've only seen a couple flashing engine lights under boost but that was right after tuning it.

It all depends on the tuner, and what he is looking for. There are enough people out there with various FI systems that have no problems to show it is possible, even easy. If you get it tuned right. Even the BBSC, which was for a while regarded as a sure way to destroy your engine, is reliable with AEM and a good tune (3k miles on mine so far).

Of course, even with low miles, it may be other issues with the car causing the trouble. Bad sensors of various types, who knows?

Yes key is a good tuner I can't stress enough how important it is to get the right experienced tuner to do the job. Just to clarify we had no bad sensors on my car or anything like that. Master Mechanic (Rob Magro) can confirm car was fully working in perfect running condition prior to FI and still after the installation of the S/C.

Sorry for not getting back to you.Congrats, and welcome to the club.
PS. Make sure you have good tires

Jim

Hey Jim thanks no problem I managed to work through the problems and its running fine now. I was also thinking of doing the intercooler I will contact you when time comes for info :smile:

......PS, I have yet to meet a muscle car on the highway that I haven't ended up admiring in my rearview mirror, enjoy your boost!....... my 3 cents.

It's my understanding that countries with letters in their zip codes have a very minute selection of performance cars to begin with.

Come out to my 'hood where companies like Google, HP, Intel, Facebook, Yahoo, etc. are just minutes away.

Around here, the performance of a SOS SC is required to be in the fast lane.....

Last edited:
Back