• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Super Supercharger Installation!

A couple of years ago I decided to go with force induction on my 91 NSX. I wasn’t sure at that time what I wanted exactly, but I knew the car was missing something.

I have had my car since 1993 and always loved the feel of driving it. After an extended trip out of the country for work, I decided it was time to invest a little time and money in the car I have had the longest in my garage, and that’s where it all started.

First, I took the car to a local dealership for some general maintenance….All Gaskets, Oil flush/change…etc. After getting the car back, I had a pesky CEL which indicted I needed O2 sensors, and a speed sensor. So, to SOS I went to purchase some O2 sensors, and to Delray Acura for a new Speed sensor. After replacing the O2 sensor the error was still occurring so I took the car to a different mechanic close to my house to get a second opinion. He advised that I probably needed new plugs, so on they went…Problem solved!
Now the car feels solid, running smooth, and reliably. So, how to choose.

While I was trying to decide I made a decision to put some headers and an exhaust on the car (Back to SOS). That sort of pushed me towards a Supercharger, since I made the investment in the headers and exhaust. But I still wasn’t sold. I had the opportunity to drive Ole’s 95 Twin Turbo Car at NSXCapades last fall and liked the feel of that but I was never a fan of the sound of the BOV(personal preference). So, since I wanted similar power, and solid reliability, the supercharger decision was made.

So, Back to SOS :biggrin:….Purchased the Supercharger from SOS in early March. And I waited, and waited, and waited(Machine Shop was building the Manifild). Finally, in early May the Supercharger kit was ready to be shipped. Since I wanted a reliable installation but didn’t want to ship the car to AZ so SOS could do it, I chose First Class Auto in Orlando. Nabil and his folks where great to work with, SOS shipped the boxes directly to him. He let me know when it was in and I dropped it off. Initially the installation was to take 3-4 days, but on the 4th day Nabil called and asked if he could keep the car a couple of more days to make sure it was done correctly, plus he was waiting on the hose kit I had ordered from SOS. NO PROBLEM!!!!

I picked up the car the next Monday afternoon, met with Nabil, and the tuner(can’t remember his name), but Nabil trusted him, so he was good with me. They agreed the only thing I was missing was a free flowing air filter and the car would good to go.

First Drive, W:eek:W! I should have done this years ago. The care pulls HARD, and FAST. The car feels as reliable as it did when I had all the initial tune up work done. The car actually feels more like a V8 than a V6.

The end Result: SOS Supercharger, AEM/EMS ECU, SOS headers, Taitec GTLW exhaust. 397.57HP, 332.98 Torque with the Stock air filter (Dynojet DYNO). I have since put a K&N air filter on and I can feel the difference vs. the Stock air filter.
attachment.php

THANKS Science Of Speed, and 1st Class Automotive

Attachments

• NSX Dyno 052012.jpg
    NSX Dyno 052012.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,134
Last edited:
I know the Dynojet reads a little higher than the Mustang dyno but WOW that SC puts out some serious torque. Looks about 30ft. lb. more than other S/C kits running at 395-400rwhp. What PSI are you running, what is your AFR at max boost? Was your car tuned at Centeral Florida Turbo?

Nice dyno sheet but your pix don't seem to be loading.:tongue:

Last edited:
I know the Dynojet reads a little higher than the Mustang dyno but WOW that SC puts out some serious torque. Looks about 30ft. lb. more than other S/C kits running at 395-400rwhp. What PSI are you running, what is your AFR at max boost? Was your car tuned at Centeral Florida Turbo?

Nice dyno sheet but your pix don't seem to be loading.:tongue:

I am running Stock boost that came with the SC kit. I am not sure what the AFR is at max boost, I dont have any guages (yet) I asked Nabil about guages, he said since I was running a stock SC kit...it wasn't REALLY necessary.

The image is just another look at the Dynosheet.

nice numbers, also something to consider, most people use SAE correction. STD reads lower, so you'll gain about 15 whp by changing it from STD to SAE correction...

Not that it makes any difference...

nice numbers, also something to consider, most people use SAE correction. STD reads lower, so you'll gain about 15 whp by changing it from STD to SAE correction...

Not that it makes any difference...

I thought it was the other way around? SAE reads lower?

BTW, nice numbers! That is an awesome torque band. Crazy to see how the power comes on so much flatter compared to my BBSC setup.

I thought it was the other way around? SAE reads lower?

BTW, nice numbers! That is an awesome torque band. Crazy to see how the power comes on so much flatter compared to my BBSC setup.

thank you, I got it backwards... my bad, so his numbers will be less with SAE.... :eek:

Wow. Very nice power and tq. :eek:

Yea...I was Happy when i first saw the tq on the sheet...and you can definately feel it!

I have to get used to those 1st gear pulls...I get to the rev limiter much quicker:biggrin:

hi Chris --

Thank you for the review. Again, I'm sorry for the delay on the supercharger. This kit is by far one of my favorite parts we sell. It really gives the "small block V8" feel to the NSX that it should have had from day one!

take care,
-- Chris

are you using the laminova?

No, letting it run as installed..I am thinking about water/Meth cooling...but so far, it hasn't been necessary.
I live in Tampbay also and i have been doing lots of test with my water/meth. I took the car out lastnight the temp was low 90's out and without the meth injection from 60-120mph my IAT temp hit 175 degrees. Thats not even during our normal high 90's which would put the IAT in the 180's easily. I have been keeping my IAT around 150-155 with the meth injection under very hard driving. My tuner who i extremely trust and have know for a while says there are benefits you also dont see. He also noted that the IAT sensor in Hondas is slower to react and he feels im getting better cooling than being recorded. I'm spraying an 80/20 mix of water/meth. The car seems to run stronger on the highway with it. I dont notice the gains around town but on long highway pulls i do

I live in Tampbay also and i have been doing lots of test with my water/meth. I took the car out lastnight the temp was low 90's out and without the meth injection from 60-120mph my IAT temp hit 175 degrees. Thats not even during our normal high 90's which would put the IAT in the 180's easily. I have been keeping my IAT around 150-155 with the meth injection under very hard driving. My tuner who i extremely trust and have know for a while says there are benefits you also dont see. He also noted that the IAT sensor in Hondas is slower to react and he feels im getting better cooling than being recorded. I'm spraying an 80/20 mix of water/meth. The car seems to run stronger on the highway with it. I dont notice the gains around town but on long highway pulls i do

I forget, do you have to run AEM FIC or EMS to run Meth?

No, letting it run as installed..I am thinking about water/Meth cooling...but so far, it hasn't been necessary.
Chris, still very interested to know how you're coming to the conclusion cooling is not necessary. Kindly share, thanks!
Blacknot, iirc your spray only comes on at boost right? Have you noticed high IATs just putting around town off boost? Such as under heat soaked conditions with high IATs? That's the condition I think will be difficult to tune for and i'm rather concerned about it. Again, it's relatively easy to tune for WOT @ full boost with spray. It's everything in the middle I find challenging.

The meth controller I have has a dual stage input setup. I can control the spray output from boost and also from a secondary 5v trigger (i.e. IAT sensor). There is a rheostat of sorts that control how much influence each input has in relation to each other. Need to play with it some more but i'm leaning towards using the secondary input to trigger the spray at no boost but with high IATs.

Last edited:
Chris, still very interested to know how you're coming to the conclusion cooling is not necessary. Kindly share, thanks!

Blacknot, iirc your spray only comes on at boost right? Have you noticed high IATs just putting around town off boost? Such as under heat soaked conditions with high IATs? That's the condition I think will be difficult to tune for and i'm rather concerned about it. Again, it's relatively easy to tune for WOT @ full boost with spray. It's everything in the middle I find challenging.

The meth controller I have has a dual stage input setup. I can control the spray output from boost and also from a secondary 5v trigger (i.e. IAT sensor). There is a rheostat of sorts that control how much influence each input has in relation to each other. Need to play with it some more but i'm leaning towards using the secondary input to trigger the spray at no boost but with high IATs.
I have it set up to spray at 2lbs of boost. Yes it gets heatsoaked and its from no airflow and the heat of the engine. I'm averaging 150 IAT so this doesn't replace an intercooler but I can't get one unless I have it custom made which is around 3k. If I shut the car off and come back the IAT rises to 160-165 from heatsoak from the engine until I drive it. The only solution is the put a pecan hatch with a scoop to cool the engine. I had mentioned before that even without the SC running I measured IAT of 135 on the average going 80mph on the highway

We've done extensive testing with water/methanol injection, and it has little if any effect when sprayed in the inlet ahead of the supercharger. It may be more effective if sprayed in to the manifold under the supercharger - however, with this being so close to the intake valves, individual port injection may be required.

Regardless, this or any other type of cooling is not required for the standard base supercharger system.

-- Chris

The standard supercharger system produces around 9 PSI depending on air density. On a standard system, the IAT are typically 80-90 deg F over ambient. In comparison, CT/Comptech systems have IAT 100-120 deg F over ambient. This is the nature of positive displacement screw type superchargers where the charge air has a relatively long dwell time on the rotors as it moves through the length and is compressed.

-- Chris

Back