• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My system rocks!

I finally finished the major component install of my new system.

It all started here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81698

I kept the stock head unit and ended up installing the following:

Audison SRX 5 amp configured for three channels. It pushes 150 watts to each door speaker and 180 to the sub.
http://www.audison.com/default.asp?lang=eng

Audio Control EQX equalizer
http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=14162&d_Id=5248&l1=5248&l2=

Boston Pro60 speakers with tweeters mounted in door near the ac vents
http://bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=20&product_id=296

Earthquake SWS 10 sub in a modified toolbox.
http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm

The sub enclosure is an origional toolbox that was cut down to decrease legroom loss.

I have, but still have to install the smartenna and blitzsafe ipod adapter.
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/Zublin/SmarTenna/
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonmlink1v1d.html

I still have to tune the system, but it sounds AWESOME!
The bass hits really hard and the door speakers and tweeters are crisp and clear. I absolutely love the Audison and Bostons!

I put a lot of dynamat in the doors and in the foot well. I think that this helps quite a bit.

Right now I have the amp and eq mounted behind the driver's seat, but will probably move them to the trunk so they are not visible at all. I want the inside of the car to look completely stock.

Overall, the install was not too difficult. I burned my hands a few times with the soldering iron. (Note to self, dont drink more than 2 Tangueray 10 martinis while working with hot stuff!)

I have to say that working on the system myself was very rewarding. I do have to thank Ken (D'Ecosse), Brad (Malibu Rapper), Shawn Ray and Inexcess for their help.

At first, I did not think that the stock unit would be enough, but I am really quite satisfied.

I plan to install the smartenna and ipod adapter this weekend when I move the amp and eq to the trunk. After the amp is moved to the trunk, the only giveaway will be the tweeters in the doors.

If anyone out there is interested in doing their own install, GO FOR IT!
It is really not that hard. I only had two extra screws when done! :biggrin:

All the best and thanks to everyone for their help!

Nate in DC

PS. I did not attach photos, because after everything was installed, it does not look much different. It looks very similar to Eddie's system here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83645

Last edited:
Great work Nate! I can't wait to hear it! Maybe I'll need to do that upgrade at some point. First I have to get my Bilsteins installed (which I am picking up from Lutera) and my WW side skirts painted and installed....... oh... sorry to threadjack. ;)

I will be at the meet on the 14th. If you plan to come, you can check it out then. I did not mention it, but I also recently installed RM swaybars and will be installing stainless steel brake lines in the next few weeks. (Thanks Bryan and Chris!)

I cant wait for WARM weather!

Last edited:
A few photos.

Attachments

• DSCN2295.JPG
    DSCN2295.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCN2290.JPG
    DSCN2290.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCN2291.JPG
    DSCN2291.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN2288.JPG
    DSCN2288.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCN2289.JPG
    DSCN2289.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 295
Very nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple questions.

What did you use to convert the output of the stock HU to RCA outs? Was it the SOS wire harness or something similar??

Why did you go with an EQ? Was this to give you subwoofer control, or do you just like the idea of playing with all those frequency controls? :biggrin:

Whose door speaker templates did you use to house those nice Boston's??

I wish you lived closer as I would love to hear this setup. I have always felt that stock stereo just plain.....BLOWS!!!! However, to change the HU you also have to replace/modify the center console. If I could replace everything else first, I could always do the HU later when the money tree is in bloom.

Thanks in advance and congrats again!!!!!!

Very nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple questions.

What did you use to convert the output of the stock HU to RCA outs? Was it the SOS wire harness or something similar??

Why did you go with an EQ? Was this to give you subwoofer control, or do you just like the idea of playing with all those frequency controls? :biggrin:

Whose door speaker templates did you use to house those nice Boston's??

I wish you lived closer as I would love to hear this setup. I have always felt that stock stereo just plain.....BLOWS!!!! However, to change the HU you also have to replace/modify the center console. If I could replace everything else first, I could always do the HU later when the money tree is in bloom.

Thanks in advance and congrats again!!!!!!

I purchased a Honda wiring harness online and had to put it together, soldering the appropriate wires and adding the rca connectors. I purchased it a long time ago and was not aware of the SOS harness. If I were doint it again, I would just get the SOS harness ready made. I got Ken's (D'Ecosse's)speaker plates and they worked great.

Like you, I did not want to modify my center console. I want the car to pretty much look stock. The only thing that somewhat stands out in the interior is the tweeters that are mounted in the doors. I added the eq just for more tunability. The stock bass and treble controls were not sufficient. I hooked the system up without the eq and it sounded ok. However, the eq seems to really bring the system alive. I have ordered a cover for the eq from Audio Control that I am going to paint black to make it a bit more stealthy.

I love the way it sounds! If you decide to do the same, I would defiantly install the ipod adapter as well. Also, Zetoolman, now makes a shallow sub enclosure that does not compromise legroom.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85946

I purchased one of his older larger models from another prime member that was cut down to reduce legloss altogether. I used the Earthquake SWS 10 sub and it hits hard! The bass is clean, deep and undistorted. Again, if it were available, at the time, I would have purchased his shallow enclosure.

Overall, the install is not too difficult. If you decide to do it and have and questions, let me know.

All the best,

Nate in DC

Attachments

• DSCN2296.JPG
    DSCN2296.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 221
Hey Nate!

I just noticed your thread. Glad to see the system turned out well. It makes a huge difference compared to the stock BOSE system. Hope the Audison amp is providing all that you need. I have a 5 channel system with way too big of amps and think of downsizing.

Here's wishing you warmer weather to take out the NSX.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun!

Your suggestion to try out the sub enclosure as you sent it was a good one.
I really don't think that I would want any more bass.

The Audison is great! :biggrin:

The only thing that I recently discovered is that the ipod adapter causes some problems that others have documented. It plays loud on the right channel and very low on the left when I play the CD player. I believe that I will have to do the pin swap or get the adapter. I read Kens thread and work on that this weekend. Other than that, it is awesome. I love that fact that it looks stock.

Thanks again for your help!

Nate in DC

Last edited:
Hello Hal!

Yes, Nate got my old toolbox. That enclosure has quite a history. It was the 1st toolbox enclosure you sold to Malibu. Then he traded up and you sold it to me. I still have the MDF cover you used to protect the JL speaker. (that just might become a collectors item :smile: )

I then chopped the enclosure down similar to what eventually became your ver. 3 toolbox. Now Nate has the enclosure. Maybe you should have put serial numbers on these works of art!:smile:

By the way.......still very happy with my Ver. 3.

Nate! The tweeters look great. Nice work! Good luck with the iPod balance issue. Ken's a genius. He'll find a way to help you out.

Shaun

Shaun and Hal,

I wish that I had taken photos of the box before I put it in. I may do that when I put the grill on. Right now, it does not have one.

I am also taking out the factory changer to replace it with an Alpine one that plays mp3s. That may take care of the pin swap issue. I will post when done.

Nate

Last edited:
I swapped the factory changer with the Alpine CHA-S634. Now everything works perfect! I did not use the pin swap adapter as I believe the pin swap took place with the blitzsafe ipod adapter.

Nice setup. Audison and Boston make some ooh and ahh products. The top-of-the-line Audison amps are rated to be some of the best money can buy.

I bet that thing sounds good. Nice job and happy listening!

Back