• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA1 Value Cover Gasket

I am going to paint my NA1 value covers. I have new gaskets to replace the existing ones. I've read somewhere on Prime it is a good idea to apply some additional sealant to prevent oil seepage. Any idea the name of the product? Thanks. - Jim Trikakis

The gaskets do well without sealant, BUT, you need to apply HondaBond (part # 08718-0004) in the areas shown in the shop manual. Also, the gaskets can sometimes fall off as you swing the cover into place.:mad: So some people put tiny dabs of it in the cover groove on the long side to hold the gasket in place. Installed properly, I've not had a valve cover gasket leak in mine for the 14 years I've owned it.

If you don't have the shop manual, download it from the Prime Wiki section. Don't touch a wrench without it!:biggrin:

Thanks. That's what I needed. I did a little research on Prime (via google) and it seems hondabond has had some mixed feelings. That said, I will read the manual (91) a few times before I use the product. Thanks again.

I use the LarryB method, which is to put a couple small dots of Permatex Hard Tack on the spark plug gaskets and on the four sides of the cover gaskets so that they stay "glued" to the cover when installing. I put Hondabond where the manual said to and had no leaks. Hondabond works well and, if used correctly, will last the service interval of the engine.

jtrikakis your PM box is full

all I did was spread a very small and even coat of Honda bond inside the entire valve cover gasket trench. placed the gaskets inside. flipped the valve covers over gasket side down on a piece of cardboard, the added a 25lb dumbbell on top of each one to keep compression on the gaskets. let dry overnight, plopped valve covers on in 15 minutes in the morning, no leaks!! HURRAAYY!

all I did was spread a very small and even coat of Honda bond inside the entire valve cover gasket trench. placed the gaskets inside. flipped the valve covers over gasket side down on a piece of cardboard, the added a 25lb dumbbell on top of each one to keep compression on the gaskets. let dry overnight, plopped valve covers on in 15 minutes in the morning, no leaks!! HURRAAYY!

OVERKILL.... LOL that's extreme next time you do it your gonna have to scrap the gasket off in chunks to get it all off. not good idea. inless you like 30 minutes each cover of extra labor LOL labor of love is forever.

a few dabs in the corners is all you need inless the covers are warped then maybe

I recently found an oil leak on my engine and my friend told me it seemed to be coming from this very gasket. Since the labor rates here are ridiculous, how easy would it be to replace this myself? I've heard it is very typical of hondas to have this issue every once in a while. Do these gaskets last long? What could cause them to start leaking?

When was the last time the covers were off & the gaskets changed?

The gaskets last a very long time. They should last the interval between timing belt changes. In some cases, the leak may be fixed by tweaking the cover bolts carefully. But, do not over-tighten!

Changing them is fairly easy, but it takes a little maneuvering to snake the cover back into place without knocking off the gasket. Hence, the various things noted in this thread that people do to keep the gasket in place while maneuvering the cover.

If you want to take a short ride, PM me once the weather warms up a little and I'll give you a hand.

Back