• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA2 rotors

Where can I find x drilled rotors for a 2000. I found x drilled for NA1 and regular for NA2 but can't seem to find x drilled for NA2. I don't track my car so I'm mostly doing it for the look so don't need super expensive rotors.

I found excellent Slotted & Drilled rotors from R1 Concepts. Call Sam at 714-777-2323 ext. 7007 who was very helpful and met my timeline with beautiful rotors. I have a '97 SPA Yellow NSX and did a write up about the rotor and powder coating of the calipers that could be found through search. Good luck, Chris.

There is no such thing as "NA1 brakes" or "NA2 brakes". NA1 and NA2 are engine codes for the 3.0-liter and 3.2-liter engines. The NSX came with two brake setups, based on model year: the '91-96 brakes (all of which had the 3.0-liter NA1 engine), and the '97-05 brakes (which were used on cars for those years, with the 3.0-liter NA1 engine as well as the 3.2-liter NA2 engine).

I knew NA1 and NA2 was the engine code I just thought that was the same year they upgraded the brakes.

Glad you asked the question. I love cross drilled myself and really want to upgrade (looked great on my Boxster S). Not a fan of slotted though. NOTE: I am only concerned with looks. I will never surpass the braking requirements of stock. -just to clarify my point of view.

I knew NA1 and NA2 was the engine code I just thought that was the same year they upgraded the brakes.

Semantics fight! NA1 and NA2 were chassis codes, not engine codes. Specifically NA1 was for the NSXs which had the 3.0L engine while NA2 was for those which had the 3.2L engine. C30A/B and C32B were the engine codes for these, respectively.

Last edited:

At the risk of looking stupid in front of LarryB and the NSX community as a whole, I think that chart in the Wiki is actually wrong.

I stand by NA1 and NA2 as chassis indicators, not engine codes. While NA1 indicates NSX bodies with the 3.0L C30 engines, NA2 indicates NSX bodies with the 3.2 C32B engines. This is in-line with the typical Honda nomenclature: car bodies are letter/letter/number, while engines are letter/engine displacement in liters (roughly)/engine variant letter. Another user came across a similar observation before: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/22278-NSX-Body-Chassis-Code

In the example above, a guy with an EJ6 Civic has a sixth-generation Civic with a D16Y engine, or as sold in the US, a Civic coupe sold from 1996 - 2000. In another example, my now-winter beater Acura Legend is a KA7 with a C35A engine in it, KA7 designating second-gen Legend sedans (KA8 for coupes), but with a 3.5 from a first-gen KA9 Acura RL (which incidentally is just a third-generation Legend in basically every other market). Point being ~ the chassis and engine codes are designated from the factory in such a way that they cannot be confused, even as cars are sold in different markets with different names and engines and trim levels. The way these things are typically referred to in the US is either by generation (eg, a C7 Corvette) or by year (eg, a '67 Mustang). This is unsurprisingly a US-centric way of thinking, as many such cars are sold in different year and different variations in other countries and many times with completely different names.

Anyways, the above rules apply to the NSX, which as sexy and exotic as it is, is still a Honda. The NA1/NA2 nomenclature is the car chassis code/body reference here .

On this page in particular, one can see that the body code for the NSX-R is given as LA-NA2, NA2 being the chassis code, not the engine code. The engine code is specifically given as C32B.

On this page comparing the NA1 and NA2 body variants, the same terms are also used ~ E-NA1 designating the car bodies with C30A engines while E-NA2 designating the car bodies with C32B engines. As pointed out on this page and elsewhere, NA1 and NA2 variants were sold side by side for many years (not unique to the NSX, as Honda did this with countless Civics, Accords, etc. as well).

So can I go change and update the Wiki now? It's a subtle difference, but still a difference.

Last edited:
I don't understand Japanese, so I don't know what those references say.

The VIN decoding shown in the 1991 service manual refers to those three characters as the "body type". Of course, the NA1 and NA2 bodies were identical when they were sold side by side, fitted with the 3.0-liter and 3.2-liter engines. So if you want to call them "body types", there's that. :)

And it may not be all that productive to get into a semantic debate, especially when translation between languages is involved. Heck, look at the word "chassis", which sometimes refers to only the suspension, but sometimes refers to the entire substructure of the car below the body, including the powertrain as well as the suspension. And in '97-05, the suspension was identical between the NA1 cars and the NA2 cars. So if you want to call them chassis codes, there's that. :)

Regardless of what you call the NA1 and NA2 codes, they correspond 100 percent to the engines used in the cars, but do not correspond to the brakes. The two brake setups were still those used in the '91-96 cars (all NA1), and those used in the '97-05 cars (both NA1 and NA2).

Ken is right- it refers to engine only. 97+ cars (NA1 and NA2) share the exact same chassis, body, suspension and brakes. But, I understand the semantic point you are making. For the NSX, however, the practical effect is as an engine only designator.

Google Translate just changes the Japanese to "car body" or "chassis" for NA1/NA2 while C30A and C30B are under "engine type." I agree the correlation is 100%, but the designation is still significant. NA1/NA2 is analogous to differentiating trim levels/option packages (much like the EJ6, EJ2, EK1, etc. mess that surrounds Honda Civic designations for body styles/engines). For the purposes of this thread, I understand this is a moot point.

All I was trying to get at is that NA1/NA2 are not engine codes. The engine codes are C30A/C32B (these are the codes actually stamped onto the blocks). Admittedly this is the kind of thing I get hung up about all because of that anime series, Initial D :eek:nthego:.

On that note: :biggrin:
9d6c69c6_thread-direction.jpeg

Last edited:
Get a VIN for a 1997-2005 Automatic. If it is NA1, which I beleive it is, it is NOT based on chassis, but engine;)

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

Back