• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Navigation system and Installation ? ?

First of all I just want to say-- after reading many posts, everyone seems very friendly and are willing to share valuable info. I just wish I knew about this site long ago.

I had a question about getting a navigation system put in my NSX. I seen some pictures of an NSX where he put the navigation system just above the stereo system replacing the controls to the A/C.

This confuses me? how do you work the A/C when it's no longer there. Is there another place that a navgation sysem can be instaled? and where can I buy a navigation system that's compatible for an NSX Thanks ;)

p.s. anyone selling seat covers, or dash cover for an nsx. Floor mats would be appreciated to.

Attachments

• mm_1-18_muscletuners_nsx-yellow2.jpg
    mm_1-18_muscletuners_nsx-yellow2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 436
I haven't seen any Nav systems that replace the OEM A/C controls. Maybe you saw this, but didn't realize the A/C controls (and some A/C vents) are still there?

nav2_display_smalll.jpg

:eek: Woa! that's expensive-- I didn't know navigation systems cost about 3,000. Is that the only compatible naviation system for an NSX. Is all navigation systems pretty much compatible. I like the picture you sent me with the custom built navigation system in the NSX-- I wonder where he had it done and where he got the silver looking kit to have installed professionaly.

by the way... any websites that sell seat covers, dash cover, carpet mat??

Attachments

• acura nsx information.jpg
    acura nsx information.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 407
KennyNsx said:
... I like the picture you sent me with the custom built navigation system in the NSX-- I wonder where he had it done and where he got the silver looking kit to have installed professionaly....
I have not seen that one personally or know who's car it is, but it is just paint - you can do it any colour you like, really. Mine is metallic black.
Get it done at any body/paint shop or DIY with aerosol - as long as you prep & finish correctly you can get a really good finish.
KennyNsx said:
:eek: Woa! that's expensive-- I didn't know navigation systems cost about 3,000....
Why are Nav systems so expensive anyway? Even on E-Bay it's $1500 just for the drive - what's with that????
All brand names are similarly priced too - I just don't get where the expense is in the hardware - can someone explain?

Ebay prices is a bit low. The Alpine TME-M760 monitor that SOS uses retails for about $700, but I bought mine off ebay for about $500. Of course you get no manufacturers warranty since you can they are not authorized dealers and not supposed to sell Alpine on the internet anyway. But that is the risk you take for $200+ off. The Alpine DVD based nagivation system is also about $2000 itself. Then you have the nav pod with that and it comes out to about $3000. I think the latest Alpine uses the latest DVD software from Smart Map Pro. You should really compare the Alpine monitor directly to other comaprable LCD monitors. It really does have a nice resolution and really good off axis view. Many other monitors that I have seen get really dim off axis. Plus the monitor comes with a dedicated nav input for Alpine navigations in addition to 3 other AUX inputs in with AUX #3 can be set up for a reverse camera activated via 12V+ (Like your reverse lights).

ChrisK said:
Ebay prices is a bit low. The Alpine TME-M760 monitor that SOS uses retails for about $700, but I bought mine off ebay for about $500. Of course you get no manufacturers warranty since you can they are not authorized dealers and not supposed to sell Alpine on the internet anyway.

You still have warranty protection under Federal Law. Manufacturers try to scare people from buying this way.
It's like the sign at the restaurant coat check that says "We're not responsible for lost or stolen coats." That's just to intimidate people into not filing a suit if their property is stolen. The fact is, they are responsible for your property if you entrust it to their care.

In any case, my local Sound Advice (division of Tweeter) beat the eBay price and sold me a TME-M760 for $490.00. Dealer cost is $430 by the way. I'm sure you can find it online from an authorized dealer at $500 anyway. I'm going to install the Alpine monitor in the Honda navpod and feed it with the new TRC 1/2 DIN DVD player which will be installed in the glove box. Avcomwireless.com sells it for $269.00.

29full.jpg

Question everything!

Could you explain that once again--- Is that picture a navigation system or a dvd player. And how much total is it costing you install the navigation system

what I meant was how much total did everything cost you. Because you mentioned some very low $$.

I'm just looking for a good deal. like everyone else:)

It's a DVD player, sorry I didn't realize I was off topic.
My navigation system is installed between my ears. I use my brain to read a map. You've got to be smoking crack to spend $2000 for one of those things. They'll be $200 by next year.

I would suggest buying a portable Garmin StreetPilot III or the StreetPilot 2610. The III is about $600, and the 2610 is about $800 street price.

Both are excellent units and use the best mapping software I've ever seen. It knows even the smallest back roads and will bring you within 20 feet of the front door. Excellent turn-by-turn instructions using text and voice prompts.

The main advantages of the 2610 are:

1. Touch screen (although I don't see this as an advantage. Its easier to reach out and press buttons you can feel).

2. the III uses a proprietary 128MB memory stick to hold its detailed maps. About enough for a state or two.. However, you only need to load detailed maps for your destination area. A base map of the US highway system is permanently installed in the unit. If you want another memory stick, they are expensive; about $150 for 128MB, the largest. On the other hand, the2610 uses industry standard compact flash (CF) memory that is available up to 1GB. I'd get the 2610 on just this feature alone.

3. The 2610 is built around a faster computer and can perform calculations faster, such as routing to a destination and recalculating if you go off rout.

Both are powered by a cig lighter adaptor and have a portable bean bag mount that works well.. No drilling, glue, or damage to you car whatsoever. Bring it in the house when you don't need it, or move it from car to car. Its GREAT!

I have the III and it fits nicely on my dash just to the right of the instrument binnacle. I have a navi built into my 01 CL and it is a disappointment. Its only useful to get from city to city, not to a street address. It only knows of the most major roads.. and I paid 180 to update the mapping software last year.

Trust me on this one. The Garmin streetpilot, either one, really works. I've never spent so little and received so much satisfaction from a gadget.

The preceding is just my opinion. (but it's a good one) :)
one) :)

ChrisK said:
Ebay prices is a bit low. The Alpine TME-M760 monitor that SOS uses retails for about $700, but I bought mine off ebay for about $500. Of course you get no manufacturers warranty since you can they are not authorized dealers and not supposed to sell Alpine on the internet anyway. But that is the risk you take for $200+ off. The Alpine DVD based nagivation system is also about $2000 itself.
I went similar route - you do have to fabricate a mounting bracket however and make some adjustments to the pod - if you buy the SOS that's all taken care of, but yes, you can save a few $$$ if you DIY and are satisfied with "grey" market.
The Nav latest Nav system the 852 is as low as $1400 new on Ebay, although there are a couple of used items on there too right now.

Kenny - you're new I see - sent you a pm earlier & you haven't picked it up.
Click on Private Messages as shown here...

Attachments

• pm.jpg
    pm.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 362
Thanks MikeC for sharing such valuable information. I didn't even think about those products. You have defenitely led me towards the right direction. I will be ordering exactly what you specified in your e-mail-- thanks for going into so much detail.
One question though-- how did you mount it to your dash??

D"eccose sorry I didn't reply to your pm. I am new this group and I had no idea that pm meant private message until now. I will take a moment and learn the valuable tools this site offers.

I will find out how to reply to your pm. Thanks

D'Ecosse said:
I went similar route - you do have to fabricate a mounting bracket however and make some adjustments to the pod - if you buy the SOS that's all taken care of, but yes, you can save a few $$$ if you DIY and are satisfied with "grey" market.
The Nav latest Nav system the 852 is as low as $1400 new on Ebay, although there are a couple of used items on there too right now.

Kenny - you're new I see - sent you a pm earlier & you haven't picked it up.
Click on Private Messages as shown here...

Wow, man....clean out that folder....209 messages in there. LOL! :D :eek:

Hey, I'm a popular guy, what can I say! :D
(But cleaned it out, just for you!)
Actually I keep my inbox pretty clear but usually save my sent mail - seemed superfluous at this point so just nixed it all.

KennyNsx said:
D"eccose sorry I didn't reply to your pm. I am new this group and I had no idea that pm meant private message until now. I will take a moment and learn the valuable tools this site offers.
I will find out how to reply to your pm. Thanks
Off topic for some new member assistance!

No problem Kenny - Welcome to the club!
I wasn't disappointed or anything, just realized since you were obviously new member, hadn't quite figured out the inner workings yet! :D
That's why I gave you a quick indicator above on where to find the pm's- seems like you still haven't quite found your way there yet though? (when you send a pm you have a message tracking capability that shows if it is still unopened or when read) If you are still having trouble figuring it out, we should take it off-topic - you can post
here to ask for assistance with any issues or questions you might have in finding your way around w/o anyone slamming you.
Once you read the message, you will find a "reply" icon below, very similar to the format you see in the forums - no need to reply however, I was just more concerned you knew how to find it.
If you want to initiate a pm to someone, you can see icons below their post & if you click on that will bring up a new page to e-mail or pm depending on which icon you select.

Back on topic .....
No-one really answered my question - what makes a nav system so damn expensive (hardware) .... it's just a dvd drive! I can see that maybe the software (maps) has significant value & I'm OK with the relatively high $$$ on that, but not the h/ware - seems like a price-fixing scam to me where they have all agreed that this is the price it will bear!

D'Ecosse said:

Back on topic .....
No-one really answered my question - what makes a nav system so damn expensive (hardware) .... it's just a dvd drive! I can see that maybe the software (maps) has significant value & I'm OK with the relatively high $$$ on that, but not the h/ware - seems like a price-fixing scam to me where they have all agreed that this is the price it will bear!

I think because they can and because it is in a nice clean package with voice recognition and things like that. You are right that $2000+ is expensive as my friend can hook me up with a Mac with nav software hooked up in my car for less than that. I would also get the extras of a computer at that:D He came up with a neet way to keep the computer in sleep mode during ignition off time that draws very little power from its batteries, then wakes up upon ignition so you don't have a long boot up time. He has it installed in his ML 320 and it works really good. He can control everything via blue tooth from his cell phone at that.

Back