• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NBA Playoff thread

Mark my words guys: LA will go down to Boston. You all won one last year because KG was injured. We just beat the two best teams in the NBA in Cleveland and Orlando it was not because they played bad.

We just took out Dwayne Wade, then Lebron James, then Dwight Howard. Kobe Bryant is next.

Anyone that wants to bet with me speak up now. All you Lakers fans are going down in flames. You all have no idea about basketball if you think LA has a shot.

GO CELTICS!!!

Let's do it. I'll bet you $100 on the Lakers to win the Finals. Reply if you are in!! :biggrin:

Jeff

Let's do it. I'll bet you $100 on the Lakers to win the Finals. Reply if you are in!! :biggrin:

Jeff

I don't like money bets but I will make an exception in this case... you are on. Lets make it more fun. A $100 gift certificate for your choice of NSX parts vendor... STMPO, Downforce, SOS, etc. Winner chooses vendor. You also need to be humiliated therefore you also need to do the signture thing for a month.

This is going to be so fun... all these prime guys saying I am their daddy... hahahahaha... I'm not giving any child support. I don't care about any of you... you all can eat out of a KFC dumpster for all I care...

Last edited:
Well then you should have been a Celtics fan.... sometimes kids just go wrong... :tongue:

Your avatar looks more like 3 sad kids that just got their lunch money taken from them. :biggrin:

Your avatar looks more like 3 sad kids that just got their lunch money taken from them. :biggrin:

Oh here we go now, they are all coming out of the woodwork. Are you looking for your daddy too?

You'll be wearing kobes jersey when we win....better yet sasha's jersey....:biggrin:

I don't like money bets but I will make an exception in this case... you are on. Lets make it more fun. A $100 gift certificate for your choice of NSX parts vendor... STMPO, Downforce, SOS, etc. Winner chooses vendor. You also need to be humiliated therefore you also need to do the signture thing for a month.

This is going to be so fun... all these prime guys saying I am their daddy... hahahahaha... I'm not giving any child support. I don't care about any of you... you all can eat out of a KFC dumpster for all I care...

I am in but you also agree to have a signature of my choice for a month when the Lakers win!!!
Jeff

Last edited:
Mark my words guys: LA will go down to Boston. You all won one last year because KG was injured. We just beat the two best teams in the NBA in Cleveland and Orlando it was not because they played bad.

You forget that Boston won in 2008 because the Lakers didn't have Bynum and Ariza due to injury. Nor did they even play this well together. So instead of Ariza, we have Artest who is going to pull the shorts off of Pierce and KTFO that big baby and make him fall on his face while Doc Rivers is trying to usher him up the court.

You got spanked by 40 points!!! F o r t y!! You didn't have "Ariza?" you don't have him now either pal! LOL... this is the kind of rational you come up with. You are ALL delusional. Everyone was pissed at Kobe because he didn't "play well". No one could credit actual defense. As for Bynum... My sister is tougher than he is.

Good unbiased video about both teams on ESPN:

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=5237833"/></object>

Please.....:rolleyes:

Of course Lebron will be better than Kobe athletically speaking since Lebron is YOUNGER and he is genetically blessed. Thats like pounding on Jordan when he is winding down with age.....Kobe has not jumped on anyones backs if anything its the other way around....

Whats Lebrons excuse? He has Shaq, jamison, and other good players on their team.

Anyways it will be a great series and the ratings will be through the roof.

Lakers in 6 or 7
Lebron is better athletically and once his shot improves, his skill set will be better as well. Bringing up age is a joke. Lebron has taken his team further into the playoffs than Kobe ever did within the early years of his career, not to mention Kobe also had Shaq at his prime. If you think the Shaq that Lebron had is the same Shaq Kobe had, than you know nothing about basketball.
It's going to be a tough tough series. I was worried that the typical laker apathy will rise again but realize that this isn't the soft laker team of 08 that made do with talent alone. And even then that was a 6 game series. My only concern is the bench play of the lakers. That's where the key is going to be.
They still lack the physical play that Boston has. Not to mention, Boston is playing out of their minds right now and I don't see LA being able to guard Rondo or Pierce.
People always forget that Michael had a star cast around him as well, it wasn't just Shaq & Kobe like the dynasty. Remember Rodman, Pippen, and Harper? Their bench was deep with guys like Kukoc and Kerr who shot lights out from behind the line. That was one of the greatest teams of all time, not just because of MJ. No one guy will ever be responsible for a championship.
Jordan, unlike Bryant, improved the play of all who played with him, the same cannot be said for Bryant. At the time, Jordan never had an all-star big man with him, there was no need because he was that great. The two seasons after his first retirement, it was very evident that big men would be dominant as evidenced by Olajuwon and the rockets winning the championship in those two years of his absence.

If you think Kobe was equally important as Shaq within the Lakers 3-peat, than there is nothing further to discuss until you educate yourself. There is a reason why Shaq was:

named the 1999-00 NBA MVP…named NBA Finals MVP three times (2000, 2001 and 2002)

Shaq carried that team to a 3-peat. At the time, he was the most dominant center the NBA had ever seen.

dont be mad that kobe is going to rape boston like he (allegedly) raped that chick in colorado, even tho she was a sloar and probably wanted it anyways.

Keep supporting the rapist, if he didn't rape her, why settle? :rolleyes:

There's no doubt Kobe is at the same level of Jordan. Both have benefitted from a strong supporting cast and coach. Regardless nobody can argue their similar competitive spirits and no mercy dagger shots.
Jeff
:rolleyes:

Kobe isn't even close to Jordan. Let's have him win 3 more rings by himself without Bynum or Gasol.

OUch ^ the truth hurts.. And the "Truth" is gonna hurt the Lakers again in the finals!! ahha.

Kobe has played great in the playoffs, but lets be real without Gasol the Lakers probably finish as a 7th or 8th seed at best and would have been one and done.
Gasol is the real reason this team wins. I have respect for him as he quietly sits and lets Kobe take all the praise.
Bynum is weak and Ariza.. I think you guys would be better with him than Artest..
Ray Ray is gonna make it rain!

Lebron is better athletically and once his shot improves, his skill set will be better as well. Bringing up age is a joke. Lebron has taken his team further into the playoffs than Kobe ever did within the early years of his career, not to mention Kobe also had Shaq at his prime. If you think the Shaq that Lebron had is the same Shaq Kobe had, than you know nothing about basketball.

They still lack the physical play that Boston has. Not to mention, Boston is playing out of their minds right now and I don't see LA being able to guard Rondo or Pierce.

Jordan, unlike Bryant, improved the play of all who played with him, the same cannot be said for Bryant. At the time, Jordan never had an all-star big man with him, there was no need because he was that great. The two seasons after his first retirement, it was very evident that big men would be dominant as evidenced by Olajuwon and the rockets winning the championship in those two years of his absence.

If you think Kobe was equally important as Shaq within the Lakers 3-peat, than there is nothing further to discuss until you educate yourself. There is a reason why Shaq was:

Shaq carried that team to a 3-peat. At the time, he was the most dominant center the NBA had ever seen.

Keep supporting the rapist, if he didn't rape her, why settle? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Kobe isn't even close to Jordan. Let's have him win 3 more rings by himself without Bynum or Gasol.

Dude you might as well have Kobe hater tattooed on your forehead....your "facts" are so one sided with hate that it just shows that you have just as much basketball knowledge as a three year old.

Yes shaq was a dominant player but he couldnt have won it without kobe, horry, fish, etc.

You must have forgotten about the players jordan had on his team he had a great supporting cast.
Jordan had pippen, kerr, kukoc, cartwright, rodman, paxton, and many more players to make up for not having a big man.

Keep drinking the hatorade guys....regardless it going to a great series.

If the Lakers do win you will find some other excuses to talk sh!t.

Kobe is a great player in his own right....Just like Jordan was in his era.

Go Lakers in 6

Chado- So hows that draft going for you buddy. Waiting for October to catch your clippers eh? :smile:

How can anyone argue that Kobe is not at the same level than Jordan. Even most of the sports writers/hosts agree. Of course there will be some differences but there are far more similarities than differences. Uh, Kobe doesn't make the other team member's better? Ariza's game was better when he was with the Lakers.

Again, any other Celtic's lovers want to wager the series..bring it on.

Jeff

How can anyone argue that Kobe is not at the same level than Jordan. Even most of the sports writers/hosts agree. Of course there will be some differences but there are far more similarities than differences. Uh, Kobe doesn't make the other team member's better? Ariza's game was better when he was with the Lakers.

Jeff

Because Jordan was never shut down in a finals game (Kobe's has two final series vs Pistons and vs Boston in which he was shut down) ...... or the playoffs period for that matter.

Jordan has the highest points per game in the playoffs at 33.4 to Kobe's 25. Jordan's final points per game is 33.6, and he has the highest final series point per game at 41 in 93. Great players are judged when it counts -- playoffs and finals. Kobe is great but Jordan was a god. Plus with the rules changing to favor offense Jordan would avg 40+ points now .....

Even though he turned 40 during the season, he scored 20 or more points 42 times, 30 or more points nine times, and 40 or more points three times.[20] On February 21, 2003, Jordan became the first 40-year-old to tally 43 points in an NBA game. This was an overweight Jordan with bad knees well past his prime. Look how sorry Shaq looks now, how sorry The Mailman was at 40, etc.

Because Jordan was never shut down in a finals game (Kobe's has two final series vs Pistons and vs Boston in which he was shut down) ...... or the playoffs period for that matter.

Jordan has the highest points per game in the playoffs at 33.4 to Kobe's 25. Jordan's final points per game is 33.6, and he has the highest final series point per game at 41 in 93. Great players are judged when it counts -- playoffs and finals. Kobe is great but Jordan was a god. Plus with the rules changing to favor offense Jordan would avg 40+ points now .....

Even though he turned 40 during the season, he scored 20 or more points 42 times, 30 or more points nine times, and 40 or more points three times.[20] On February 21, 2003, Jordan became the first 40-year-old to tally 43 points in an NBA game. This was an overweight Jordan with bad knees well past his prime. Look how sorry Shaq looks now, how sorry The Mailman was at 40, etc.

dude... You're the first guy on this thread that knows what he is talking about.

Dude you might as well have Kobe hater tattooed on your forehead....your "facts" are so one sided with hate that it just shows that you have just as much basketball knowledge as a three year old.
No, I give credit where credit is due. Kobe nut-huggers act as if Kobe has transcended into a god or deserves G.O.A.T. status which is hardly the case. As for b-ball knowledge, please test me. :rolleyes:

Yes shaq was a dominant player but he couldnt have won it without kobe, horry, fish, etc.
True, but does that mean they were equally responsible for the titles? Hell no! Shaq was dominant and more important than Bryant during that 3-peat, which has been my point from the beginning.

You must have forgotten about the players jordan had on his team he had a great supporting cast.
Jordan had pippen, kerr, kukoc, cartwright, rodman, paxton, and many more players to make up for not having a big man.
Pippen became the player he was due to playing with Jordan, the same goes for most of the others. Its laughable that you throw Cartwright into the mix because that guy was a joke. Jordan put him on his back and carried that guy to 5 titles.

http://www.nba.com/historical/playerfile/index.html?player=bill_cartwright

He was a better player when he played with Knicks than he ever was with the bulls, he was old and couldn't cut it.

The 95-96 Bulls team would not have gone 72-10 if you put Kobe (in his prime) in place of Jordan. Jordan was the fuel that fired that team.

Keep drinking the hatorade guys....regardless it going to a great series.

If the Lakers do win you will find some other excuses to talk sh!t.

Kobe is a great player in his own right....Just like Jordan was in his era.

Go Lakers in 6

Chado- So hows that draft going for you buddy. Waiting for October to catch your clippers eh? :smile:
It will be a great series, I look forward to watchin D-fish and the rest of the fakers cry when they lose to Boston.

Jeff
Do you really understand how great Jordan was? Find me any article that claims Kobe will be better than Jordan when he is done. No one believes that. Lebron has a much better chance than Kobe does. Oh and if you don't remember, check out who was #1 by ESPN Sportscentury's Top 100 Athletes of the 20th century.

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/

"That was God disguised as Michael Jordan."
-- Larry Bird, after Michael Jordan set the NBA playoff record for most points in a game with 63 in a double-overtime loss to the Boston Celtics, 135-131.

Damn beat me to the stats and the Jordan finals trivia. :biggrin:

Here we go again...

They are 2 different players with different playing styles. MJ played in an era where defense wasn't as important and there are nowhere near the amount of highly skilled players as there are now. As for getting shutdown, Kobe averaged 25.7 points in the Boston series that they lost, that is not being shutdown IMO. Give credit to Boston's defense, they threw the kitchen sink at him and made him less productive than usual and the reason they lost is the fact that the rest of the team was not stepping up and were outplayed physically. Boston beat LA up. In 2004, he averaged 22.4 in the Detroit series against one of the best defensive teams in history. That's not shutdown either. If you want to discredit him for his team's effort, let's be fair and bring up Jordan and his stint with the Washington Wizards. :rolleyes:

Jordan averaged higher points at a time when the league averaged higher points. Defense has been getting so tough that David Stern had to change the rules so that you could score more. MJ never scored 81, not even close IMO at 69 and it took him 50 minutes to do that and it took Kobe under 42 minutes to get his 81. And Kobe could have outdone the 81 on that night and other nights. Does anyone remember when he single-handedly outscored the Mavericks after only 3 quarters by HIMSELF 62-61? Coach Alvin Gentry after the Phoenix series called him the greatest finisher in the NBA ever, ahead of MJ.

So it's not absurd to put him up there with or past MJ but there will never be another MJ either. He was a special player at just the right time and the first true hero and almost universally loved player that also commands an enterprise for himself. I grew up idolizing MJ. Nowadays, any good player has legions of haters, I don't remember that situation with MJ so much but it was a different era. Kinda like Arnold Palmer whom everyone loved and now we have Tiger Woods who is a better player and even before his scandal wasn't completely loved in the same way. MJ was more gifted physically, better & bigger hands, higher vertical, better build. Kobe on the other hand shoots better (with both hands) and has better agility and a wider array of shots.

This is one of the biggest debates in basketball right now and there's a reason for that...

Can't wait for thursday.....

<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=lakers&videoId=teams/lakers/2010/05/31/100531practicekobebryant-1334171" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=lakers&videoId=teams/lakers/2010/05/31/100531practicekobebryant-1334171" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

Can't wait to see Turbo's signature next month.

Kobe a better shooter ....... hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Kobe has never shot over 50% ever in a season. Jordan has done this many times in fact for Jordan's career he is a .495 percent shooter, Kobe is not even close. Don't let Sportcenter highlights fool you.

A superstar only scoring 25.7 or 22.4 is being shut down when they lose because it's obvious his team needed more points. I'll have to check but I'm sure Kobe's FG% was in the 30-40% for those series ...... terrible.

Jordan played in a era that didn't have defense. What are you smoking. The 80s may have been more show and go but the late 80s to the mid 90s was all about defense. The Pistons, the Knicks ---- the hard fouls back then.... no 3 second rule...... hand checking. Watch the old Pistons. I grew up watching and hating them..... they played dirty and in today's league would be ejected and suspended nearly every game. The Knicks were just as bad as this was the only way to stay with the Bulls when they became great. Mike still scored over 30 per game (plus more during the playoffs and finals).

My post about Jordan at 40 is to show that all these new great athletic players (that were not around when Jordan was in his prime) were playing then and Jordan still scored on them ---- and was still an all-star.

Kobe plays like Jordan after his first retirement (and past his prime).

Stats don't lie. He is the most efficient scorer (that was not a post player) of all time. He put up those amazing numbers as the number 1 option on a team with no post player or really any player that he could toss the ball to on the wing and say "go to work". Pippen was a great player, but he got a lot of his points in the flow of the game. Jordan carried a big load every night....and he did so better than any player in history (kareem is the only other player even in this conversation). Jordan has the best player efficiency rating of all time. He's the most clutch player of all time. He is one of the 5 best defenders of all time.

Now....the kicker.......wait for it....

Jordan dominated and put up his numbers in an era in which defenses were much more difficult to go against for perimeter players. YOU COULD HOLD, GRAB, AND HAND CHECK DURING HIS ERA. It was so much more difficult to get to the rim and ten times harder to get to the foul line than it is now. If Durant can get to the line 12 times a game now that means Jordan would have got to the line 18 times a game if he played today. People forget this all the time. He would have probably shot 55 percent from the field instead of 50% as well because he would have had to take far less difficult shots over the course of his career.

I think anyone that says Kareem is the best ever has a solid argument as well....but its between Jordan and Kareem. They are clearly head and shoulders above the rest.

The legacy of Kobe will be cemented in the next 2-3 years. If he can get 2 more rings he will be in the conversation with Jordan, maybe not as good but certainly a top 5 player of all time (and the player which most resembles Jordan).

If he wins no more rings he will be remembered as a great superstar and the best non-big man of his generation. Hardly something to hate.

Lets not forget Kobe's and MJ's contribution to our world has been to play basketball well. A sport meant to entertain. They didn't do it for a noble cause, they did it while they were paid extremely well and treated like royalty. I think MJ was possibly the best ever, but I think he is kind of an ass. I think the same of Kobe. At the very least, he cheated on his wife and then made up for it by buying her a $16,000 ring.

I like watching basketball and arguing with you guys, because it is fun, but not for one second do I ever think that either of these guys is in any way better than the poor guy who busts his balls working at a local soup kitchen to help others. No one knows that guy, he has no money, no one asks for his signature, but he gives more to the world that he lives in than a basketball star does.

"Star"... "superstar"...."all star".... I find it comical sometimes that we reserve these words for people who do nothing but play a sport well. It's not like they are a Ghandi, a Mother Teresa, or a Martin Luther King. They just dribble a ball well.

Back