• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need guidelines for current NSX values (2014)

Just remember that spending too money for a prime example is no guarantee. I say this after finding a puddle of coolant on my garage floor and tracing it to my head gasket. Just walked in from the garage.

Bought car in June; 36k miles on a 2000 with recent major service including all coolant hoses. Yes it has a CTSC and other Comptech parts (from the original dealer) but PPI was solid. Paid more than I was planning because of condition of the car. But now looking at a major expense on top of that (and on top of the usual initial work ~2k). Frustrating.

I'm not saying it was a bad approach to think that one can pay up front to reduce expense on the back end but it just doesn't always work out. Of course, I don't really know the extent of my current issue but it's not like I just need a new $100 coolant tank.

Wow, that is terrible. jwmelvin, I feel for you brother… Hopefully it isn't something major that you have to repair.

Yikes jwmelvin! Sounds like new gaskets/shaved heads/ARP studs are in your future. Hope it is resolved quickly and without too much expense.

I'm curious, did you have a compression and or leakdown done as part of the PPI?

Last edited:
I'm curious, did you have a compression and or leakdown done as part of the PPI?

I had them do a compression test and because all cylinders were the same didn't do a leak down. But at the time I didn't appreciate the difference and importance of it all. By the time I did, the car was put back together. Obviously I wish I had insisted on it at the time, although who knows if it would have shown anything.

Can someone describe 'briefly' due diligence when buying an nsx? I'm'a shoppin' Thanks.

post the car's location on prime, or do a search on prime, to find a qualified mechanic in the area. Get a thorough PPI, including at least a compression test. If the compression test raises any questions, do a leakdown as well. Post the VIN on prime and find out if anyone knows about the car as well.

If it's 2000 or later, check for all vin tags on the body panels.
If 91/92, check for snap ring failure/repair
Check for a record of timing belt/wp replacement, should be done every 7 years.
check common failures: windows, head unit, speakers, climate control, climate control aspirator fan
Use a paint depth gauge to verify that all body panels have original paint
the test drive, of course.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's a good start. There's a page on the wiki with some more info and some checklists:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Purchasing_an_NSX

seats..look at seats...if the seats still look good and are original then previous owners cared enough about the car to take proper care of them,and thus maybe more likely the rest of the car.

Back