• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help figuring out where to get my TB/WP done.

Hey guys, I would really appreciate your input on this. What I'm currently trying to figure out right now is where to get my TB/WP replaced. I have two choices right now.

Local Dealer: $1660 for parts and labor to replace my TB/WP. I could probably get it done this week.

Local NSX Expert: $2300 but that includes replacement of the upper seals and a valve adjustment but I'd have to wait till mid-August.

I tried to do a search but didn't find anything (perhaps my google fu is not strong enough). Is the replacement of the upper seals and valve adjustment worth the extra $640?

This would be my first major servicing since I bought my NSX. The TB/WP was replaced about 6 years ago so it isn't super pressing that I get it done now, however, I'd prefer to have it done sooner than later. Better safe than sorry.

Dunno how much this would change things but the dealer would be Niello Acura and the local expert would be Shad at Driving Ambition. Based on everything I've read, Shad is the go to guy for all things NSX so there's additional peace of mind for me there. What would you guys do?

Shad...period.

I would also suggest shad. With an nsx expert like him you have peice of mind knowing who is working on your car and that knows nsx's inside and out. If you go to the dealer, you assume the tech is nsx certified to work on your car and might not be able to spot any issues as easily as shad would.
Hope my comment helps

Wanted to report the wonderful experience I had at Daisy Import Auto Care. I purchased a 91 Red NSX about a year ago with 85 K miles. Outside the car looked great but I suspected that there were mechanical problems especially a noticeable serious vibration at idle. After repeated trips to the local Acura Service the vibration at idle was still there. I learned about Daisy Import Auto Care here and the great reputation that Ben has. I took the car to DIAC and Ben took two hours and went over the car from front to back and pointed out every problem area. After a few days work he diagnosed a serious problem that was related to the work that had been done earlier by the local Acura Service and repaired what they had done. When I picked up the car and after a test drive could not believe this was the same car I had left two weeks earlier. The vibration was gone and almost every part of the car worked better.

There is a proverb that says that " Whenever you see a man (or woman) skillful in their work they will stand before kings, and not before obscure men." that clearly applies to Ben and the NSX. While I am not a king I sure felt like I had been treated like one when I got my car back.

Wanted to report the wonderful experience I had at Daisy Import Auto Care. I purchased a 91 Red NSX about a year ago with 85 K miles. Outside the car looked great but I suspected that there were mechanical problems especially a noticeable serious vibration at idle. After repeated trips to the local Acura Service the vibration at idle was still there. I learned about Daisy Import Auto Care here and the great reputation that Ben has. I took the car to DIAC and Ben took two hours and went over the car from front to back and pointed out every problem area. After a few days work he diagnosed a serious problem that was related to the work that had been done earlier by the local Acura Service and repaired what they had done. When I picked up the car and after a test drive could not believe this was the same car I had left two weeks earlier. The vibration was gone and almost every part of the car worked better.

There is a proverb that says that " Whenever you see a man (or woman) skillful in their work they will stand before kings, and not before obscure men." that clearly applies to Ben and the NSX. While I am not a king I sure felt like I had been treated like one when I got my car back.

LOVE that you pulled out a Proverb!!

Haven't had first hand experience with Shad, but definitely go to a respected NSX tech before going to a dealer.
That depends on the area. There are some dealers - and Niello Acura's Roseville location is one of them - that do a lot of NSX service work so they have the NSX experience and level of quality you need. (And, of course, there are plenty of others that don't.) And there are some areas where the only respected NSX techs work at a dealership.

I'm not saying I would go to Niello rather than Shad. But the dealerships that DO have a lot of NSX experience don't deserve to be steered away from.

Wanted to report the wonderful experience I had at Daisy Import Auto Care.
2700 miles is a long way to drive for service. :)

Last edited:
2700 miles is a long way to drive for service. :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. I posted this reply in the wrong thread. :rolleyes: It should have been for the DC area.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks and glad it was helpful. I should have put the comment in the DC area forum but the Proverb still applies.

Back