• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Help Getting Rid of Adware.Zquest which came in througha link from NSXprime

Sig

Experienced Member
Last night I clicked on a link in an Off Topic thread titled something like 'Would't mind getting thrown in jail by this judge' and I instantly started getting warned by my Symantec software that there were issues. I posted a warning in the thread immediately to hopefully prevent others from getting this thing.

Now I can't get rid of the damn thing. More and more stuff is getting automatically installed. It won't allow itself to be deleted either.

Anyone know how to get rid of this thing? The primary culprit is Adware.Zquest, although there are plenty of other things that seem to be installing themselves. I have blocked a few executables that try to load on startup now like 'vsl07.exe'.

I am going to try to delete it in safe mode with system restore temporarily disabled.

Google for "Windows Defender" and give it a run. Its still free I think, and I use it almost daily here at work to get adware of people's machines.

donwon said:
*Most of the time* If you goto task manager and processes and shut it down first, you can go to where the file is and delete it.

Unfortunately, it does not show up in the task manager. It even disguises itself in the registry so you can't delete it while doing a 'regedit' from the command prompt.

Holycrap

I'm glad I have a mac... i forget how to even avoid viruses.

I hope you get it fixed up... it's a shame viruses/spyware exist, wish there was a way to get these people all together in a building and blow it up.

rickysals said:
Holycrap

I'm glad I have a mac... i forget how to even avoid viruses.

True that. I do miss all my old viruses. My PC was so infected I couldn't even get it to stsrt up half of the time. Thanks for turning me on to the Mac Kelly.

schuey1010 said:
True that. I do miss all my old viruses. My PC was so infected I couldn't even get it to stsrt up half of the time. Thanks for turning me on to the Mac Kelly.

The scum that write the malware may just get around to the Mac crowd if people ever start deserting their PC's in sizable quantities.

twizt2 said:
The scum that write the malware may just get around to the Mac crowd if people ever start deserting their PC's in sizable quantities.
Since most mac owners dont run AV, they really have no idea if they have something if it doesn't hog resources or replicate wildly.
A very slow replicating trojan for the mac would make someone RICH!

Back