• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help with factory stereo on a 91

The speaker in the right kick panel keeps cutting in an out. It seems like if I turn off the stereo for a minute or two, and then turn it on again, that it revives the speaker for a couple of minutes, but ultimately it cuts out again.

How do I tell if this is the amplifier or the head unit?

Thanks

-FurBall

Does the speaker go out entirely, or just get really, really quiet? When it happens again, slide the balance know all the way to the passenger side, and crank the volume - can you still hear the music, just really quiet?

If so I would wager the amp, if not the head unit/wiring problem... But that's just me.

Originally posted by burbel:
If so I would wager the amp, if not the head unit/wiring problem... But that's just me.

Me too! I had a blown amp in my drivers side door in my '91 when I purchased it last year. They cost around $600-$800 to replace.
eek.gif
I replaced all of the Bose amp/speaker combos with a good amplifier and a pair of pioneer speakers (I kept the stock head unit and CD changer). I think this is a fairly common problem with the early cars. Do a search on this topic and you will find some good info.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I have sent my speakers directly to Bose for refurbishment. For $75/speaker unit they replaced the speaker and the built in amp. Last year I did both door speakers....matter of fact just got my center speaker (under the passenger floor) back from Bose last week...all I paid for was $75 plus what it cost me to ship them the speaker.....sure beets the $700-$800 for a new OEM unit.

You can contact Marylyn at Bose customer service and she will take care of you. Don't have the number on me but if you private me I can get it to you.

Good Luck,

Chris

Originally posted by Chief:
I have sent my speakers directly to Bose for refurbishment. For $75/speaker unit they replaced the speaker and the built in amp. Last year I did both door speakers....matter of fact just got my center speaker (under the passenger floor) back from Bose last week...all I paid for was $75 plus what it cost me to ship them the speaker.....sure beets the $700-$800 for a new OEM unit

Good For You! (By the way, the speaker under the passenger side floor is what Bose calls a Subwoofer -not a center channel speaker)

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
(By the way, the speaker under the passenger side floor is what Bose calls a Subwoofer -not a center channel speaker)

I believe that the center speaker (the one on the rear wall of the interior, between the shoulders of the two seats) is controlled by an amplifier in the passenger side footwell. Perhaps he's referring to this amp.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I believe that the center speaker (the one on the rear wall of the interior, between the shoulders of the two seats) is controlled by an amplifier in the passenger side footwell. Perhaps he's referring to this amp.

Quite possible Ken. The center speaker (the one between the seats) was disconnected in my NSX when I purchased it. What type of sound is supposed to come from this single speaker? It can't be stereo (only 1 speaker), but a summing of the left & right channels (mono) doesn't make acoustical sense in this location. These days a manufacturer might (and that's a BIG might) use a single out-of-phase rear speaker to add some ambience effects, but I don't think people were thinking of this type of technology in 1991 factory car audio! I am a Custom Home Audio/Video designer by trade and I just don't understand the function of this Center speaker.
confused.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back