• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need new battery, weight not issue

Time for a new battery. I prefer something that holds it's charge over lightweight since I don't drive the car regularly.

Any recommendations?

Time for a new battery. I prefer something that holds it's charge over lightweight since I don't drive the car regularly.

Any recommendations?

Gene, go to Costco or Walmart and buy the right sized battery with a good warranty. Stay away from Optima. Recently, there was another post with the same question. If you're not driving the car regularly and letting it sit for a month or so, you really should invest in a battery maintainer like Battery Tender or some of the others.

I would recommend that you purchase a battery with the most cold cranking amps available in the same size. Be sure to pay attention to the locations of the posts. I still have an OEM in mine.

Just get a regular battery and a battery maintainer and your good to go but remember if your not going to drive for a while dont be lazy and forget to plug in the charger it just defeats the purpose of having one.

Just get a regular battery and a battery maintainer and your good to go but remember if your not going to drive for a while dont be lazy and forget to plug in the charger it just defeats the purpose of having one.
Take the advice of an electrician whose battery always seems to be dead before a run!!!! J/K:wink:

I just bought the Schumacher Battery Maintainer that has the ring terminals to attach permanently to the battery, extended that wiring out to in front of the spare and zip tied the quick connect. Now I can just reach in and plug in the quick connect and not have to fumble behind the spare to reach the battery. If you do that, cut the other connect off of the alligator adapter and make it a dead plug for the live connection. Seals it up to keep junk out of it. It was $22 at Wally World and I've used them on other vehicles before with great success. The quick connect makes it easy to hook up even if it's only going to be a couple of weeks between rides. It will also extend the life of the battery because a month of dishcarge and then recharge with a regular charger will shorten the life due to plate sulfation. The Maintainer has a float circuit that will keep it at 12 volts (actually 12.75) and only cut on when it drops below a certain nominal threshold.

ibs_MTP-35.jpg

I think these are the best.
Mega-Tron Plus - 85 Months - 640 CCA (MTP-35)

Cranking Amps: 800
Cold Cranking Amps: 640

About $101.95

Last edited:
odyssey pc 1500 fits

I agree that the Interstate battery is the best battery. Optimas are junk - I had three fail before I told the tech that I wanted the Optima out of the car. Then I got an Interstate, which is what I should have done in the first place, but I thought that a $180 battery (Optima) must be better since it was so expensive.

Personally, I think interstates are ok but I do see them corrode the battery cables often. At the Honda/Acura shop I work at we sell Deka Batteries. They are excellent because they don't corrode and they are sealed. The batteries that have vent caps usually let off allot of gases and corrode the cables. I have a Deka in my 92 NSX, 01 MDX, and 01 CR-V;they have been great. Since we have switched to Deka batteries we have not had to warrenty one battery. Do not use an A/CDelco battery they fail regularly.

Last edited:
+1 on the Costco/Kirkland battery (which is supposedly made by Johnson Controls).

I think it was like $39 when I got it (might be more now). You can't beat that, I'm sorry. I've had it and it works great. That's 2 batteries for the price of one of those Interstates. Plus it's Costco! If you don't like it at any time, take it back!

Also, they range from 640-700 CCA and are 100 month batteries from what I remember.

Last edited:
Got a battery maintainer. May get the battery tomorrow. So many to choose from!

I rarely drive the NSX and it sits indoors all winter. Acura replaced the battery 2 years ago and it's died a couple of times from sitting. I put the Schumacher 1.25 amp charger on it twice, once for a hour and once all night.
Five weeks ago I took the car for a longish drive and 2 weeks later I washed it which means I drove it 100 feet and washed it and then drove it back and parked it. Plus I drove it in circles 3 times so maybe another 200 meters.
Now 3 weeks later I expected a dead battery but it fired right up, very strong.

+1 on the Costco/Kirkland battery (which is supposedly made by Johnson Controls).

I think it was like $39 when I got it (might be more now). You can't beat that, I'm sorry. I've had it and it works great. That's 2 batteries for the price of one of those Interstates. Plus it's Costco! If you don't like it at any time, take it back!

Also, they range from 640-700 CCA and are 100 month batteries from what I remember.

$61 now at Costco and it is a 100 month battery. With my battery maintainer, I should be good for a while. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Personally, I think interstates are ok but I do see them corrode the battery cables often. At the Honda/Acura shop I work at we sell Deka Batteries. They are excellent because they don't corrode and they are sealed. The batteries that have vent caps usually let off allot of gases and corrode the cables. I have a Deka in my 92 NSX, 01 MDX, and 01 CR-V;they have been great. Since we have switched to Deka batteries we have not had to warrenty one battery. Do not use an A/CDelco battery they fail regularly.

Deka (East-Penn Manufacturing) actually makes their own batteries and also private labels for all the big parts houses as well as Sears. If you have a warehouse near you, you can go in and buy it at a wholesale price (it was $53 for my 4Runner battery two weeks ago) with a three year complete replacement and 8 year pro-rated warranty. About the best battery I've found anywhere and guaranteed fresh.

Go to your Honda or Acura dealer and pick up a 100 month battery They really back them up Much better than a Optima, Optimas are very overpriced and are junk! 89.00 for oem.

OEM battery is now in my NSX for 8 years, and its still going very strong. I drive the NSX about 3k mi/year. I have a very cheap (Harbor Freight, $8) float charger that keeps it happy during the winter when I might not drive it for 4 to 6 weeks.

Remember, always use a float charger or "battery maintainer" for storage. Never leave a trickle charger on the battery for more than a few days; it will reduce battery life.

Consumer Reports tested a bunch of batteries this past year. Take a look at their results. Their are some surprises - price and quality are not always related.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

Back