• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need shop for AC conversion from R12 to R134

My '91 NSX is low on freon and only blows cold on one side. I got a quote of $170 labor and $60 per can to get the AC fully charged with R12. I'm thinking that I may as well apply the money spent on a recharge towards an AC conversion to R134. Does anyone have a recommendation where I can take my NSX for this conversion? What would the approx cost of this conversion? Do they have to replace the evaporator also?
TIA.
Tom

have no fear. my 1992 did the same exact thing.

you are low on refridge, my NSX had not been converted
when i got it. so I did the convertion myself to 134a

I went to my local autoparts store and they sell an upgrade kit, it was like 45 bucks, 3 cans and a screw on gauge and it even comes with a DVD to watch. you basiclly screw on 2 new stems one on the High presure side red, and one on the low presure side Blue, then you use the 3 cans of refridge that came in the box and slowly fill the AC back up. while the car is running and the AC is ON high, I used 2 cans and almost the third. well my problem was I watched the video and they said normal passenger cars use 30 PSI worth of refidge. well the cans that come in the box has a gauge on them, and after putting 2 cans in i checked the air and it only blew ICE cold on one side of the car I think it was the passengerside. I didnt know that thats a sign of not enough refridge in it so I filled it to 45PSI intill it was ICE cold on both sides..

note: this R134a convertion upgrade kit has this Leak sealer in it so it will fix your slow leak. by sealing it.

when I refer to how many PSI is needed its going by their cheap gauge that came in the box. I dont know how accurate this gauge really is.

So save yourself some money and get teh kit. its only 45 bucks, and I swear a child could do it.

Last edited:
I am in the same position. Just picked up the AC conversion kit during lunch for $42. I'll start playing with it tonight. Hopefully everything turns out ok:rolleyes:

I bought a conversion kit years ago, so I might as well change mine over as well.

One question - don't we need a shop to evacuate all of the old refrigerant first?

that PDF from Dali makes it seem to complicated than it is. trust me its easy. when you do your upgrade post your results so others can read it.

I did mine in like 20 minutes after the install of the new valves, and charging the system while the car is running.

dont pay someone to do it you actually get a great feeling after you feel that ICCCCEEEE cold air blowing.

I didnt replace any parts on my 1992 NSX and its been blowing cold for a year and a half now in the florida heat, with not one problem.

Does anyone have the link to the service bulletin for converting from R12 to 134? I'm looking for the instructions/steps.

I bought a conversion kit years ago, so I might as well change mine over as well.

One question - don't we need a shop to evacuate all of the old refrigerant first?

Technically it is illegal to release the old refrigerant into the air. However if it has already leaked out then you can just hook up a small vacuum pump(like the ones they sell at Harbor Freight for $8, you will need an air compressor to make it work) to remove any remnant R12/oil/air.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

Then add new fittings and refill with the new stuff.

Ed,
Thanks for the info. Harbor Freight shows that item "Out of Stock" online. Might have to check my local store.

Or use a screwdriver press the valve in and save yourself 10 steps.

the few years People have been on the earth do you really think we are making the Ice Melt? we just finished coming out of an Ice Age its normal, it will get hot, hotter, then will cool, get colder, and the cycle continues,

what was that movie i think it was called AI with the littleboy robot that got frozen and aliens found him.

people will find us and our cars under some permafrost 2 million years from now. and say " well this Human was a well dressed, high in society member, who died in one of the greatest Human inventions of all time the ACURA NSX, judging by his stomach contents he must have had a great Filet for his dinner that night. and his teeth are near perfect, look at his shoes almost no sign of age, and this NSX also no sign of age, what a second its still runs. wanna take it for a test drive?"

now the Oil spill in the Gulf is something else.

Curious also. I really don't want to pay major bucks, unless I have no choice...

Back