• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need some help with a Check Engine Code

maybe someone here can help me out, or point me in the right direction....

got an 89 integra LS 5spd, got a Check Engine Light the other day, and car ran like shit.... had to limp home.

so i pulled the codes, got a code 8 and code 4, i dont got a service manual on this car, but from what i can figure out, its got something to do with the TDC sensor.

the next day, i had time to look at it, so i cranked it, and no probs, still CEL(Check engine light) but i ran up to the red in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. no problems, when the light first came on, engine performance sucked, and had to limp home... but the next day, cranks right up and runs like a champ, with a light.

so i cleared the comp, and cranked it, and agian CEL, same code 8. no more code 4, i believe this may be a stored code, since this was the first time that i know of that the comp was cleared, so im ignoring the code 4 since it hasnt came back up yet. so only a code 8

now, it just had timing belt, and water pump done at the same time, about 2 1/2 months ago, and no problems until the other day.

i first was thinking maybe cam gear was off by a tooth, but since it ran fine for 2+ months, i dunno...

hopefully someone here can shed some knowledge on this, is there a test procedure for this? is this common? is there a trick to fix it? any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance...

Mike

Hi. It's your distributer. Code 4 is CKP (crank position sensor) and code 8 is TDC sensor (top dead center). Both are inside of the distributer. If the timing belt was off a tooth, it would run like absolute crap. It's not the belt unless it 'slipped' while driving...which is very unlikely assuming it was installed/tensioned properly. You can't get just these sensors from Acura..you would need to order the entire distributer assembly. I would say your best bet is just go to a junkyard, parts-site, or autozone. Get the workshop manual if you want to do some tests but you will at least need a mutlimeter. You could also go to your library and rent a chiltons repair book.

[This message has been edited by true (edited 14 November 2002).]

Originally posted by true:
Hi. It's your distributer. Code 4 is CKP (crank position sensor) and code 8 is TDC sensor (top dead center). Both are inside of the distributer. If the timing belt was off a tooth, it would run like absolute crap. It's not the belt unless it 'slipped' while driving...which is very unlikely assuming it was installed/tensioned properly. You can't get just these sensors from Acura..you would need to order the entire distributer assembly. I would say your best bet is just go to a junkyard, parts-site, or autozone. Get the workshop manual if you want to do some tests but you will at least need a mutlimeter. You could also go to your library and rent a chiltons repair book.

[This message has been edited by true (edited 14 November 2002).]

hey, thanks for the help.

i spent yesterday going thru junkyards in the rain tring to find one, to no avail...

spent this morning callin all junkyards on junyards.com in and around the ATL area, found a guy, who could put his hands on one for 100 bucks, thats a good fair price for one i think, autozone wants 230+tax and 70 core. so i guess ill be going to see him before he leaves at 2pm.

i will let ya know if this fixes the CEL, i would like to think so, thanks again!

gotta love prime, got a question or a prob doesnt matter what, somebody out there will help ya, such a diversified community....

yea!! it worked!, of course......

thanks again, the one from junk yard had POS rotor, and cap, so exchanged em for the new ones on the original distrib, and fired right up no probs

Back