• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New buyer and snap ring dilemma

Hello all,
I am looking for a 91 to 93 NSX. So far, seen a couple of 92's both in Snap ring
range. Both sellers claim to be unaware of this well known topic. One has 14K the other 30K miles. Both are otherwise like new cars.

My question is, should the price of the cars be adjusted if the tranny number is one of the suspect numbers? If so how much? Or avoid completely?

I put about 1000 miles on my cars a year so most likely the snap ring will not fail on me, but I am concerned about resale.

whatcha think?

Welcome to the forum. Interesting user name choice by the way
wink.gif

Before the Forums Nazi starts yapping, you may want to check out this thread.

Personally I would avoid cars in the affected range if possible due to the hassle factor, but at the very least I would try to negotiate the repair cost into the sale price. It may not affect you, but it probably will affect another buyer down the road, and that person most likely <b>will</b> want a discount based on that fact.

Good luck.

You can have the snap ring problem repaired and prevented permanently for around $2500 ($1500 for the snap ring and transmission case parts, $1000 for labor), so that would be the maximum price adjustment to seek.

When you actually have the car, you could wait until you need transmission work (e.g. clutch replacement) anyway, so you don't have to pay for the labor an extra time. Or, you could just let it go and wait, watching for symptoms that the repair is needed.

I'm not sure if the dealer will do the 'snap ring fix' as mentioned above for $2500 max... My dealership (Leith Acura in Cary, NC) only opted to replace the transmission with a OEM one, which ran $5400 for the tranny and $1000-$1500 for the labor. There was no mention on the "fix-it" deal, only REPLACE.

But if I were to do it again, I would've bought the short gears or a transmission with all the upgrades listed here on NSXprime sale board.... But hindsight is 20/20. Ever since my tranny was replaced, I've had no problems with it!!

Good luck though!

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Biaggi,

Did you have a failure, or was it preventative. Go here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/93-010.htm to review the service bulletin. If it failed, your dealer "followed the book".

As you said hind site is always 20/20. It is really not required to "replace" it. Just for future reference.

HTH,
LArryB

The problem is that many (most?) Acura service centers will simply not open an NSX transmission.

There are other rebuild options out there besides the dealer which wanted to charge me 8k for replacing the tranny. (they wouldn't rebuild it)

Qualified tech's like Barn Man will charge only $700-$800 in labor, and you can get all the parts from Dali racing for $650 which includes all the parts necessary to fix this. That kind of savings is worth the trip to see Barn Man. If you don't want to make the trip, Barn Man told me that NSX trannys are almost identical to the Honda trannys and could be rebuilt by a qualified NSX/Honda mechanic.

Food for thought.

Larry:

Mine broke... hit first gear and shifted into 2nd and then all I heard was ccchhhhkkkkkgggrrrr noises as I decelerated and then it wanted to pop out of 1st and 2nd when going under 25mph....

So it wasn't preventative maintenance... So I guess the Acura dealership followed the books in replacing it.....

Now everytime I see a transmission for sale with short gears and more I just do a Homer... DOAH! ( 8(|)

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Originally posted by Biaggi:
Mine broke... hit first gear and shifted into 2nd and then all I heard was ccchhhhkkkkkgggrrrr noises as I decelerated and then it wanted to pop out of 1st and 2nd when going under 25mph....

So it wasn't preventative maintenance... So I guess the Acura dealership followed the books in replacing it.....

According to Mark Basch in this topic, even if the snap ring breaks as yours did, you still don't have to replace the entire transmission, as long as you don't continue to drive on it.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
According to Mark Basch in this topic, even if the snap ring breaks as yours did, you still don't have to replace the entire transmission, as long as you don't continue to drive on it.

NSXTASY is absolutely right...I spoke with Mark Basch last week and he said the same thing. Also, if you are stranded out of town he can ship you a rebuilt one in a day.

I called the Lynnwood WA. Acura dealers service department and asked what I could expect if I came in with a snap ring problem. The service rep pulled the service bulletin and read chapter and verse. "If the snap ring had broken, we would replace the entire transmission. If it was showing symptoms like popping out of gear or the grind under acceleration/deceleration we would repair it."

My feeling is, if the work is a goodwill job either is fine. But, if I have to pay for the whole enchilada, I would look at ALL options.

That is exactly what the dealer told me at first too, but they don't know until they contact Acura Corporate directly.

Trust me, I just went through this. You WILL NOT get this job goodwilled, period. At best they will replace the entire tranny at a tune of 8k and pay for half. They will not rebuild it if you are wanting any amount of goodwill. I fought and fought with Acura corporate and think I was lucky to get the offer for half on the new tranny. I ended up puchasing parts from Dali and having a qualified tech rebuild it for me and for much less.

Remember, the service bulletin was issued 10 years ago, and a technical service bulletin is not a factory recall, just a recommendation. The grace period for 100% Goodwill on this ended several years ago. Replace it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it ever again, and neither will the next buyer.

[This message has been edited by jlindy (edited 23 January 2003).]

Back