• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"New" Car Review

I recently bought Patrick (COMPDNSX's) car and thought some folks might find a kind of mini-review useful.

By way of history, my first NSX was a 1998 NSX-T auto, my second was a 2003 NSX-T auto. I've had a fair bit of experience driving the NA1 5 speed and NA2 6 speed through generous friends in the past, but had never owned a manual NSX myself (circumstances at the time didnt allow). Basically, I've had NSX experience off and on since around 2001.

So Patricks car (which before him was Luis' - CRUZRMM - car) is a different beast altogether. I was reluctant to buy a modded car, and over the years I had always flirted with the idea of tweaking my NSX's but had always resisted.

All I can say is... WOW. The difference between this car and a stock NA2 is insane. Just a run down of the mods fast for some perspective:

Cantrel AIS, Comptech Headers, Tubi Exhaust, CTSC (6lb), NSX-R rotors, ProjectMU pads, Comptech sway bars, Tein Flex w/EDFC, 17/18 Volks, HIDs... Also a bunch of other stuff that doesnt matter so much - NSX-R hood/tail, Stacy sides/rear, WW front, lots of little appearance stuff, momo wheel/shifter

First... the CTSC. The difference over a stock NA2 is immediately noticeable. All I can say is its the same car, but just far quicker. The power delivery is so smooth I would think it was NA (this is my first experience with an SC on *any* car) The car seems to have power in any gear now. Shifting 3-4 and nailing it, even on the long country roads I have access to here in PA, will QUICKLY leave you running out of road.

By the seat of the pants, I would say it feels roughly comparable to two other cars Ive driven and one I owned... A stock 02 Z06 that a friend owned for a time before punking out and buying an auto, a 6 speed 2001 911T that I had the pleasure of borrowing for a bit on a drive and my own 2000 C5 automatic that was fairly heavily modded (gears/TC/trans reprogram/headers/xpipe/exhaust/cold air). If I had to guess, assuming I burn off all of the rustiness thats accumulated on my skills - LOL - I'd bet I could get this car through the quarter mile in probably VERY low 12s (for folks who care about the quarter)

So power is NOT an issue on the CTSC for me AT ALL. Period full stop there. But maybe even bigger of a surprise to me was the aftermarket suspension. With the Comptech sways and the Teins, the car just feels PLANTED. I pushed it a bit today and took some bends at 60+ and the stability was AMAZING. A LOT better than the Z06 I had mentioned and definitely in line with the 911T.

On the stopping side, the combo of the NSX-R rotors and the ProjectMU pads feels great. No fade and stopping was firm. Not sure how much improvement over stock since Ive never experienced these mods with bone stock brakes, but the brakes are definitely the right match for the power.

Ride comfort is somehow still the same as I remember, the car is as tight and quiet as it always is (or at least as the T is :) ). The momo wheel/shifter feel a lot better than stock to me, so they are a nice touch.

The sounds are incredible. The Tubi exhaust is addictive. I live behind a golf course and when the car whizzes by I get golfers waving. You can really hear the car coming, but in a good way. Closest sound to a Ferrari I've ever heard. yes its a pain in the ass exhaust, yes its heavy... But MAN does it look and sound good! :) The SC has a sort of whooshing sound I believe, but I like it. At idle, its a bit louder b/c you can hear that belt. But the way I see it, exotics should be making all kinds of interesting noises.

Now its a bit easier for me to say b/c I didnt front the cash for these mods (a million kudos to Luis and Patrick for having a great combination of balls and awesome taste :) ), but to me, the tweaks to the powertrain and suspension were TRANSFORMATIONAL to a car that was already awesome.

Anyhow... Thought some might some day find this useful as they ponder modding :)

Sounds like an E ticket ride. :)

YES! thats a great way to put it.. (I had to look that up, btw... Thanks for adding to my library of coloquial phrases :D)

I think between Luis and Patrick, over $30k was invested in this car. So figure between original purchase price and the mods, its pushing $125k. But I have to say... Compared to a 2001 911T which was RIGHT there in terms of original cost, I think it was worth it!

Im going to say that I think maybe Honda should have legitimized the Comptech parts even more (like AMG in the early days) and actually offered a "Comptech NSX" and had 1 in each of the biggest dealers, submit one to the mags, etc. Maybe even have absorbed Comptech under Mugen.

I think a $120k CTSC, CT I/H/E, CT suspension NSX back in the day (with the NSX-R brakes) would have been a KILLER car. It would have been a risk for Honda, but it would have been tackling the 911T directly and matching the F360, thrashing the F355, for a lot less cash.

I guess I dated myself a bit with the E ticket quote. :p

Yeah, it would have been cool if they did it sorta like Scion did with the Supercharged Scion tC. They might have sold quite a few more NSX's.

I aim to please!!! :biggrin:

I gotta say... the CTSC has made me a believer in SC's in general. This is my first experience with one.

What a great technology if it makes the kind of power you are looking for! Simple, "invisible" and as safe as FI can get. Even maintenance isnt bad with just a few extra things to worry about.

I would not hesitate at all to recommend one. I understand that for many folks, 375-450 HP isnt enough for what they're looking for, but if it is enough for you it is just a perfect option.

My daily driver is a sleeper 1997 Nissan Maxima that is running a centrifugal Vortech supercharger (most people don't realize they only weigh 3050 pounds) and due to my experience with that car, buying an NSX with CTSC became a priority.

Luckily I was able to find one with very similar modifications to yours (sans the body work). I'm pretty generous when it comes to letting friends and family drive the car--why buy something fun if nobody else can enjoy it--and everyone, without exception, is shocked that a car can look, handle, and FEEL that well... especially one that is 19 years old.

The screw-type SC is definitely more seamless than a centrifugal blower, especially one with a small diameter pulley. If I didn't tell anyone, most people probably wouldn't even realize it.

Enjoy yours!

Last edited:
Back