• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Cayman S vs. Pre-owned NSX

Believe it or not, but I have been cross-shopping these two great cars.

About two months ago, I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 2004 NSX, but the dealer sent the car to auction with a very favorable deal on the table. :confused:

During that time, I was also shopping for a pre-owned 911, but more and more, I grew to like the Cayman S. At first, it was purely visual however, last weekend, I did an extended test of a Cayman S and loved it! The crispness, the refinement and the overall impressive performance awakened my enthusiast interest.

I currently have a 2004 S2000 that I still think is an absolutely great car, but I am ready for a change (usually happens every 1-2 years, it's been almost 3 years). I was considering the trade-up to one of these cars.

My daily driver is a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG. I am beginning to think the TT and Cayman might be too close in their design and intent. Plus, I think I may miss the open air feel the S2000 and the NSX-T offer.

=====

Has anyone else cross-shopped this odd couple?

German vs Japanese, two different schools of thought when it comes to the execution of a sports car. However, on paper the Cayman S and the NSX are very comparable.

I have put considerable thought toward this decision, but I'd still like to hear the opinions out there about this comparison, if for no other reason, to talk cars. As an enthusiast, I really don't see why any other reason is necessary. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance!

=====

Last edited:
One other thing to consider would be to get a used 987S with PASM and *no* sports chrono and sell your s2k and the TT. Being MR the 987S will handle better than your s2k and the TT and you will have money left in the bank.

Good luck!

Good point, but I'm not a fan of the 987S design.

That may sound funny, but it's the same reason I like the closed-roof TT and not the TTR.

Last edited:
I guess to each their own, unlike the Audi TT the 986 and the 987 were designed as convertibles from the get-go, the Cayman S was developed in parallel with the 987 bodystyle, 2/3'rds of the car are identical between the two. For 2007 the Boxster S (987S) even has the same drivetrain as the Cayman S 3.4L with the higher gearing (crappy gearing that keeps the Cayman S/Boxster S from being faster than a 997 or a 997S)

Besides that an Audi will always be considered an Audi (not a real sports car) until the R8 comes out next year.

BTW:, A NSX-T with the T-top off has some serious cowl-shake, if you are used to the rigidity of the s2k you will be totally disappointed by the NSX-T with the top off. Even with the stock suspension you can feel the cowl-shake when the top is off. A s2k on the other hand feels like it's made of a single piece of metal with no body flex.

NSX vs Cayman S.

The performance is nearly identical. The way I see it, Porsche made a NSX for 20K less.

I haven't driven one, but for me there is no comparison in the looks department. NSX wins hands down.

However, I would imagine in pretty much every other area the Cayman S will be a better car. It is far newer with much better technology. It seems like a far better DD and it is no slouch on the race track.

You can bet though if you bought a used NSX and drove it for 2 years you wouldn't lose too much in resale. The Cayman on the other hand is going to lose a LOT.

Drive them both and see which you like better.

Both are great, frankly. You'd get a warranty with the Cayman S that you probably wouldn't with NSX unless 03+. Since NSXs don't break, that may not be a big deal. Really comes down to exclusivity... the Cayman S in a year will be everywhere, just like the Boxter and 911 that it looks almost identical to. That can be good and bad, depending on what you want -- parking becomes much more of a hassle if you're the paranoid type when you have a unique car that attracts attention. You can get a camo color (not red or yellow) if this is a concern.

A new Cayman S, off the showroom floor, will end up costing you twice what a slightly used NSX would, given the depreciation you'll realize after a couple years. Lease might be a good option, depending on terms. You may also have a really difficult time selling it private party in a few years if it is 2-owner. Opposite for the NSX -- would be easier to sell private party for market value. Also, a lot of 04s will be coming up for sale soon, since the special 799 lease (steal) vehicles are starting to expire, so you might be able to get a good deal over the next year on an 04 NSX. Good luck - you'll have a blast with either. :smile:

I've driven both. I like both, but I bought the NSX. If the finances of it are important, there is no comparison. The NSX will be a much cheaper car to own over the next few years (or for any period of time). Depreciation, maintenance, is very different.

Cayman has no exculisvity, at least nothing like an NSX. Porsche isn't helping the Cayman S's resale selling a cheaper standard Cayman.

I like my T a lot on nice days, and that is almost a deal killer for me on its own with the Cayman.

I can't stand the options list on Porsche. They leave everything out and they charge a ton of money. You can spend a lot of money on a Cayman with options. It also bothers me that the car can be a lot more but is intentionaly detuned so as to not upset other models. I feel like I am getting screwed somehow. :)

If you do the numbers, the NSX is the winner. And to me it provides an overall experience the Cayman doesn't. I can see some level of exotic quality in the NSX, I just don't see it in the Cayman. Hard to explain that one.

Good luck either way both are good cars.

Good feedback, everyone.

Some points by priority from my perspective...

Design. -Tied (for now)
This can be subjective, but I think both designs have their angles. Again, two different approaches that can leave polar opinions. At this point in time, the Cayman is the fresher of the two, but I can see how in a couple years, with more and more Caymans on the road, how this may shift. The NSX has a classic low slung, wide stance that says "exotic." On the other hand, the 911 design has changed little and has endured time very well. The Cayman design has strong DNA ties to the 911, many non-enthusiasts have a hard time telling the difference, which to me is not a bad thing.

Helmet Clearance. -Cayman S
A good lead in to helmet clearance, the "bubble" roof line of the Cayman provides me more than enough helmet clearance. In contrast, I am unable to fit in the NSX with a helmet on, with the top in, and with the seat even close to the right adjustment for HPDE driving. This is a big factor for me in a purchase. Recommendations?

Driving. -Cayman S
From behind the wheel of the NSX, the view out the front windshield has always made me feel as though I am in the cockpit of an airplane. The unobstructed view of the pavement rushing under the dash is like a plane taking off. After "take off", this hand-built car makes everything about driving, simple, almost too simple. It goes fast, faster, faster, well into the triple digits, giving you the impression that this car has a lot more than 290 HP. I love the engine sounds coming from over your shoulder. The handling is tremondously tenacious, giving me more confidence than I believe I deserve. HOWEVER, from a spirited, fast-paced driving point of view, the Cayman has the slight edge, in my book. The driving experience seems more precise, more crisp and sporty. The NSX does everything very well, but the steering feels slower, brakes softer and overall less eventful. EDIT: I should add here that Porsche offers a plethra of performance and personalized options that affect this category for me, considerably.

Depreciation. -NSX
With the 07's hitting dealer lots, the 2006 Cayman S models are being deeply discounted, as much as 11%, as adverstised! That helps to take a bite out of depreciation to some degree. However, I believe the NSX will definitely have the edge in the long run.

Warranty. -Tied (w/NSX certified)
Four years and fifty thousand miles versus maybe a year or two on the preowned NSXs in the same price range, unless it is certified
=====

Totals:
Cayman S: 4/5
NSX: 3/5

This is the thought process I go through. You can see how purchase timing and helmet clearance make a HUGE difference for me. If I had helmet clearance and looked at the two designs a couple years down the road, the totals may go like this:

Cayman S: 3/5
NSX: 4/5

This analysis of course is mostly subjective with few facts, but it is the same approach most of us use to decide on the next entertainment-based, depreciating asset aquisition. :)

This is an excellent analysis and I can see where you're coming from as I tend to do the same with all my purchases. But when it is about cars, it comes down to emotions, not rationale nor logic.

Here is what I do and would recommend you try this little exercice. Take 5 minutes off whatever you are doing in a quiet place no-one will bother you.

Close your eyes, try to relax and imagine yourself on an empty twisty road driving. Then imagine you pull over to contemplate an overlook area. Try to imagine every detail that you "see". Turn around to get back to your car. Whatever car you're imagining it's there to get back intto, that's the one you really want ! :wink:

I think the warranty is only needed on the Cayman. Seriously.

The helmet problem is solved with a Dali seat cushion.

I think the design should EASILY go to the NSX. A Cayman looks like a 911 from many angles but 911's are a dime a dozen. And not particularly good looking IMO, although classic, yes. I drove a cayman for 2 hours on some busy roads. It got a few looks. I can't drive the NSX without getting a comment every few minutes it seems. It just wows people.

You should try an NSX like mine... I put on a set of Azenis tires, NSX-R chassis bars and front sway bar, aligned it, its like a whole new car. If you think the stock NSX handles well, this is a whole other level. For $500.

Last thing... 3/5 and 4/5 add up to 7/5 something is wrong there. :biggrin:

You are really bringing this down to a science. :smile: I would personally recommend the NSX, but since I've driven neither my opinion doesn't count for too much.

One thing to consider is, do you plan on modifing the car you buy? Which will be easier, cheaper, and have better results after modifications? I know NSX aftermarket parts are not cheap, but I'd imagine Porsche aftermarket parts are considerably more.

Something that I dont think that anyone has brought up yet is moding the car.

If you are going to mod it, I bet you will find much better and much less expensive support with the NSX.

A SOS harness bar will rid the Targa of the cowl shake and allow you to maintain the open air concept of the targa.

Personally, I think the decision is more about finance (edge to NSX), uniqueness (NSX), brand (your pick) and which style you like. The only thing that I would say clearly goes to the Cayman S over the NSX is the interior. The swing votes are all personal.

somone may like to comment on the braking dept. of these 2. i haven't driven a cockster yet, so i don't have first hand experience, but on paper and traditionally posche has pretty good braking.

TURBO2GO said:
I think the warranty is only needed on the Cayman. Seriously.

The helmet problem is solved with a Dali seat cushion.

Last thing... 3/5 and 4/5 add up to 7/5 something is wrong there. :biggrin:

I need to research this Dali cushion more and I need to give back my engineering degree for that math error. :biggrin:

BioBanker said:

If you are going to mod it, I bet you will find much better and much less expensive support with the NSX.

A SOS harness bar will rid the Targa of the cowl shake and allow you to maintain the open air concept of the targa.

Personally, I think the decision is more about finance (edge to NSX), uniqueness (NSX), brand (your pick) and which style you like. The only thing that I would say clearly goes to the Cayman S over the NSX is the interior. The swing votes are all personal.

Good stuff. I do think the NSX aftermarket is much bigger at this point. The cowl shake was not all that noticable to me during the short stints, but good to hear there are improvements like this. The NSX does have a more exotic look, hands down.

I got a little over an inch from the Dali seat cushion. I now have enough helmet room (Im 5'9). My passengers wearing helmets do not on the stock cushions.

:smile: I would just like to add briefly on the "looks" dept with a recent experience...:biggrin:

Two weeks ago, I went to the Porsche dealership with my friend and his brother to pick up his brand new 2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S. During the paperwork process, his brother asked if it was okay to stop by the BMW dealership down the road to check out the new 335i (he was planning to upgrade his current 2002 330). So after my friend was handed over the keys, the three of us drove off to the BMW dealership (me in my NSX, my friend in his new Cayman S, and his brother in the BMW).

Shortly after, we arrived, parked our cars and proceeded inside the dealership. Because it was a saturday, there was limited parking so i parked roughly about 5 parking spaces away from my friends Cayman S. After talking to the salesperson, he said he had to go see if there was still a manual on the lot. The three of then walked outside to wait and this is when my friend made the comment....

"Damn, 6 years old and yet it's still a timeless design....."

Outside, there was a small "gathering" of bmw customers and sales people around the NSX. My friend looks over to his Cayman and back at the NSX and then over at me. I just stood there with a smile that went ear to ear :biggrin:

On another note, I will be test driving this car once he has completed his break in period. I will then give a better complete comparison if any one will still be interested in one :smile:

Out of the box a Cayman S with PASM will have lower overall laptimes at a track than a NSX, it has much better braking and much better suspension than a stock NA1 or NA2 NSX.

On the other hand disabling PSM (Porsche Save Me) completely is impossible in the current models, and the Cayman S lacks a limited slip differential which you can tell once you push the car hard through turns.

The stock shiftter sucks, so getting the OEM short shift kit or a B&M aftermarket one is a good idea.

BTW: In regards to looks it's a no brainer the NSX looks much better than the Gayman. If you are an attention whore get a NSX :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I posted this an another thread and stand by it today.

"... my best friend has a 2006 Cayman S that I had the joy of driving for three and a half weeks and about 400 miles last July.

His car is optioned as follows:
1) sport shifter
2) Bose stereo
3) HID headlamps
4) Sport Chrono
5) 18" standard Cayman S wheels
6) extra cost paint (I think it's called Seal grey, it's a dark metallic gun metal grey color)
7) HID headlamps with washers

I actually ended up liking the car a whole lot and I didn't think I would because I originally thought the car looked ugly in pictures (it's actually quite beautiful in person) and the demonstrator I drove when the car first came out left me cold.

Positives:
- Great sounds from the motor
- Excellent transmission. The sport shifter makes a world of difference.
- Great brakes
- Excellent utility. The interior space is great. Ingress/egress is very easy (esp. compared to the NSX) and the front and rear trunks are huge in comparison
- Great headlights
- Fantastic handling. The car is extremely solid, very well balanced with excellent steering.
- Manual seats. While I love the seats in my NSX, I actually hate the fact that they're power as I don't like the weight, and end up moving the seat all the way up and back each time I get in/out of the car to minimze seat wear and make it easier for me (I'm only 5'6").
- Easy daily driver. You could easliy commute in the Cayman S as well as take a long road trip.

Negatives:
- Price. IMO, Porsche is crazy to ask for more money for this car than the Boxster S (esp. now that the Boxster S has the same engine and tranny).
- Build quality. It's my understanding that Porsche has made great strides recently but my buddy has already experienced several minor issues (window's that don't roll down right, a stereo that cuts out, rattles in the trunk) that aren't the end of the world but give you reason to pause on a brand new $70K (after tax) car.
- The wow factor. Trust me... I think that on almost any given road, I'd be quicker in the Porsche than I would in my NSX. And I also am certain that the P car would be easier to live with every day (if for nothing else than the praciticality) but the NSX is just more fun to drive. From the sightlines out of the cabin, to the exotic feel of the cabin and the noises that the motor makes, the NSX is more visceral. And while the Porsche does a much better job of eliminating NVH, the NSX feels quicker and feels more raw. For my money, that's worth something.
- The motor. While the P car is quick and on paper it should be as quick if not quicker than the NSX, it doesn't feel it. The motor makes very good mid-range torque but lacks that top end hit that I think sports cars need.

At the end of nearly a month of driving the Cayman to and from work, on my favorite driving roads here in S. CA and on cruises up and down PCH... I was in love with the car. My brain wanted one. But my heart was overjoyed to be back in my NSX.

For me, I could likely sell my 1998 NSX for low to mid $40K's and the extra $30K to get into the Porsche just wasn't worth it. Esp. since I actually feel the NSX is more exciting to drive.

But the Porsche is a very, very good car and if Honda were still making NSX's I don't think I'd buy a new NSX over the Cayman S."

But in answer to your question, I'd buy a nice used NSX over a new Cayman S and happily pocket the change any day of the week.

BioBanker said:

I have the SOS harness bar and the NSX-R chassis bars in my 1998 NSX-T and found that these made a huge difference in eliminating cowl shake when the roof panel is off the car. I don't have a problem at all with the roof on and while it's a lot better than most "convertibles" I did feel some shake on rough roads or crossing rail road tracks before these mod's.

But I disagree with BioBanker on the support. I think the NSX will likely be cheaper to mod because anything associated with Porsche seems to carry a mark up with it, but for a car that's only just come out, there is a tremendous amount of parts available for the Cayman S. That will only proliferate now that the Boxster S shares the same drivetrain.

Don't believe me, pick up a copy of Excellence magazine and witness what true aftermarket support is for a marque. And Honda, are you listening? Porsche actually makes an effort to support the PCA and local clubs.

Now throw a 3-4 year old 911 Turbo and the new 'Vette (regular or Z06) in the mix and make the decision that much harder !!! :eek::redface::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(That's what *I've* been doing :redface:)

NSX-GUY said:
Now throw a 3-4 year old 911 Turbo and the new 'Vette (regular or Z06) in the mix and make the decision that much harder !!! :eek::redface::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(That's what *I've* been doing :redface:)
FWIW, completely different cars in my opinion and experience.

The 996 Turbo is a wickedly fast car but I think it's a little too perfect, a little to insulated, and a little too soft for me. Call me nuts, but that's what I felt after driving one.

And while I respect the C6 Vette's (esp. the Z06) I still say that the Corvette's are more muscle car than sports car. They're crude (beyond the build quality, check the gearbox to see what I'm talking about), loud, and rough. But they go like snot and they're a hell of a lot of car for the money. And by the way, aren't Z06's still going for way over sticker??

Back