• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New clutch recommendations?

Adding to this thread I was curious as to when the time comes to replace my current clutch, can I get a light weight flywheel + use the OEM Clutch set-up? Or does the OEM clutch components already include the flywheel? I just want the car to respond quicker to inputs, kind of like what SOS has in their videos attached when you look at the 275/350.

So are you saying that it's a given, that if I use a lightweight flywheel with the stock clutch set-up that I will experience clutch chatter? Or is that something that can be avoided by engaging the clutch in a different manner then stock?

I don't get any chatter with my OEM clutch and fidanza flywheel. This is with the NA1 twin disk.

If I had an NA2 I'd absolutely get an aftermarket flywheel, the dual mass thing just doesn't appeal to me.

I've always been a big fan of lightweight flywheels though, I don't know if I've just gotten lucky or used to them, but I've never had any of the drivability issues people claim to have with them.

So are you saying that it's a given, that if I use a lightweight flywheel with the stock clutch set-up that I will experience clutch chatter? Or is that something that can be avoided by engaging the clutch in a different manner then stock?

not a given but more of a likely scenario for the average driver. I don't know what ur experience and skills are so i air on the side of caution if u catch my drift....

not a given but more of a likely scenario for the average driver. I don't know what ur experience and skills are so i air on the side of caution if u catch my drift....

I understand what your saying, I guess it's something that I'll have to find out first hand when my clutch in ready for replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get any chatter with my OEM clutch and fidanza flywheel. This is with the NA1 twin disk.

If I had an NA2 I'd absolutely get an aftermarket flywheel, the dual mass thing just doesn't appeal to me.

I've always been a big fan of lightweight flywheels though, I don't know if I've just gotten lucky or used to them, but I've never had any of the drivability issues people claim to have with them.

That's good to hear! I want to put on a lightened flywheel when my clutch needs replacement. I will stick with the OEM set-up, question though are there many options out there for light weight flywheels for the NSX? I know you mentioned fidanza, how much and where did you get yours at? curious

I put in the SOS 275 unit and there is no chatter. It feels the same as the OEM in feel except that up shifts and rev matching downshifts are a lot smoother. Stalling may be slightly easier than with an OEM unit but it is not that bad.

I have driven e.pie's car with the fidanza and could not tell any difference in driveability from my OEM twin disc.

I understand what your saying, I guess it's something that I'll have to find out first hand when my clutch in ready for replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

That's good to hear! I want to put on a lightened flywheel when my clutch needs replacement. I will stick with the OEM set-up, question though are there many options out there for light weight flywheels for the NSX? I know you mentioned fidanza, how much and where did you get yours at? curious

It's been a few years, if I remember right I got it from ebay for $350.

The light weight flywheel does make it rev up and down faster, not drastic difference but still a good amount.

I think chatter has little to do with flywheel mass and lots to do with clutch material (ie high-friction carbon) and design (un-sprung). Some people look at clutches and think ones designated for "track" applications may be better or cooler...and end up with a clutch that is unlivable on the street.

Are you saying that the light weight flywheel in your opinion didn't add the feeling of the engine revving quicker? Less rotational mass?

It definitely revs faster, but it was just as easy to drive as OEM.

Are you saying that the light weight flywheel in your opinion didn't add the feeling of the engine revving quicker? Less rotational mass?

Oh no it revs substantially faster, but I don't need to rev it much beyond 1500-2000rpm to take off from a stop, and it practially rev matches itself on downshifts.

I don't stall it any more than I do a normal manual (which is to say, not often)

Here's the difference between the Fidanza and OEM flywheel

OEM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGZWtPnYKw
Fidanza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlzrE0met4E

It definitely revs faster, but it was just as easy to drive as OEM.
I see what your saying, and it makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh no it revs substantially faster, but I don't need to rev it much beyond 1500-2000rpm to take off from a stop, and it practially rev matches itself on downshifts.

I don't stall it any more than I do a normal manual (which is to say, not often)

Here's the difference between the Fidanza and OEM flywheel

OEM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGZWtPnYKw
Fidanza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlzrE0met4E
That's what I was curious about, whether or not it revs substantially faster like you said, but still gives the OEM quality feel. I didn't think of the rev matching, that is a bonus! Just to clarify you have the OEM clutch, just with the Fidanza flywheel instead of the OEM flywheel?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I looked at those video links and it does show the difference between the two! Thx............I notice that your in Colo Springs, do you make it up for meets when Will and whoever else put them together? I just got my car about 3 weeks ago.

I see what your saying, and it makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I was curious about, whether or not it revs substantially faster like you said, but still gives the OEM quality feel. I didn't think of the rev matching, that is a bonus! Just to clarify you have the OEM clutch, just with the Fidanza flywheel instead of the OEM flywheel?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I looked at those video links and it does show the difference between the two! Thx............I notice that your in Colo Springs, do you make it up for meets when Will and whoever else put them together? I just got my car about 3 weeks ago.

Yup OEM clutch and Fidanza flywheel. Took the whole assembly from 36lbs to 29lbs if I remember right.

I haven't been to a meet in a while, I actually just finished putting my car back to stock (other than the headers and flywheel, entirely too much work to swap those) to get it ready to sell.

So my 05 with 31k has had major chatter from day one when I got it. Now my experience with chatter is a burnt pressure plate and fly wheel. Now from what I have read I have a dual mass and a dual disc? Is this correct for stock on an 05? The clutch does not slip at all and with the newly installed sos SC. I'm a fourteen year mechanic and I can't see spending 1,800 on a clutch. I do not like dual mass flywheels they cause a lot of issues. What is the recommendation for my setup and eliminating the dual mass fly wheel?

So my 05 with 31k has had major chatter from day one when I got it. Now my experience with chatter is a burnt pressure plate and fly wheel. Now from what I have read I have a dual mass and a dual disc? Is this correct for stock on an 05? The clutch does not slip at all and with the newly installed sos SC. I'm a fourteen year mechanic and I can't see spending 1,800 on a clutch. I do not like dual mass flywheels they cause a lot of issues. What is the recommendation for my setup and eliminating the dual mass fly wheel?

91-96 = dual disk

97-05 = dual mass flywheel, single disc

Back