• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Member - 1991 Black MT

Good morning NSX Prime! Did anyone else spend 15 minutes on the security question?

I am the proud new owner of a 1991 Black on Black MT NSX. I've wanted one of these cars since as long as I can remember. Before this vehicle my toy was a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si. Still got it, may never sell it (my first car).

Minor mods include comptech exhaust, bilstein lowering kit (I think...), and aftermarket 17/18 wheels.

Anyways, I hope to benefit and contribute to the forum and maybe even attend some local meets. I am in the Sacramento area, any other Sac owners on here?

I will post pictures after i've finished detailing her this weekend. This car does need some TLC, but here's what i've done so far:
- Removed stickers and decals (there were flame stickers on the windows)
- Removed backup camera, DVD player, and passenger monitor (too tacky for me), installed clean Pioneer deck (closest to factory look I could find)
- Replaced spark plugs and changed oil (almost 10 years on the oil), changed air filter
- Cleaner EGR valve and tested functionality, replaced IAT sensor.
- Performed compression test (200-230 on all cylinders)

Here's what I plan on doing in the next week or so:
- Replace t-belt, w-pump, drive belts and VC gaskets (parts on order)
- Replace fuel filter (gas in car was 10 years old, drained and filled with fresh chevron 91 octane)
- Replace catalytic converters (smog numbers are a little high)
- Replace trunk struts (parts on order)

Here are a couple items I am troubleshooting right now:
Brake lamp indicator: This appears to be a common problem. I have verified all bulbs are working, but I did find corrosion in the passenger side connector. I will be cleaning this and checking the result.
Trunk release button: This is not opening the trunk actuator. I have verified that the master switch in the glove box is on. The trunk opens with the key and with an alarm FOB button. All fuses are good. This button had worked once since I bought the car, so I am suspecting the switch on the door is failing.

Thanks for the time guys, if any of you guys have any input, i'd be happy to read!

Welcome! Looking forward to the pics

Congrats! I'm a Sacramentan myself, but I don't get involved with the meets. I have 2 kids that are in CONSTANT motion!!! :biggrin:

Congrats and welcome! I just got my '91 Berlina Black MT a couple of months ago and I'm still riding the high. Like you, I've dreamed of owning one since they came out and the feeling when it finally becomes a reality is awesome, isn't it? And yeah ^^ what he said. Friendliest, most generous group of people I've ever met online.

Thanks for the welcome guys! Yes I do know my way around cars, still learning this one...

Hey 99targa, any advice for me as a Sacramentan? Good sources for parts, shops/smog places knowledgeable on the NSX, etc...?

Congrats and welcome aboard, from a fellow (former) 3rd gen Preluder. I've often felt that my 1992 NSX is just a bigger version of my previous 1989 Prelude 2.0 Si.

Looking forward to your pics. Enjoy that new car!

There's quite a few sacramento nsx owners. Check out the norcal forum for activities they have every so often.

Congrats and welcome aboard, from a fellow (former) 3rd gen Preluder. I've often felt that my 1992 NSX is just a bigger version of my previous 1989 Prelude 2.0 Si.

Looking forward to your pics. Enjoy that new car!

You can add me to the fellow former 3rd gen Preluder club. I had a '90 2.0Si from '97 to '08. Still one of the funnest cars I've ever owned. Didn't have quite the limits that my '91 Z or my S2K which came before and after, respectively, but up to the limits it was a hoot.

Just purchased a 1999 Prelude (had a 1992 years ago) and I completely feel the same way. Lovely handling car

Yes i've really been noticing the similarities. Haven't put enough miles in the saddle of the NSX to really compare. My complaint about my 88 Prelude was that it was not powerful enough to match the great handling.

So I built a custom turbo kit for it, hehehe.

Ill check out the Norcal section for Sacramento NSX meets, and I'll be posting up pictures by next weekend. All of the parts on my to-do list are showing up this week, and my fuel injectors are currently out getting tested and cleaned as we speak. I hope to have her mechanically in tip-top shape by the weekend, so then let the detailing begin!

Thanks again for all of the welcomes guys. Nice to see the appreciation for preludes, i've owned an 88, 89, and a 99. Loved all of them in their own ways...

Hey guys,

Finally got her up and running, still have a few things to do. But after detailing, I snapped a quick pic as promised:NSX_Driveway.jpg

Back