• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Engine Revealed

red valve cover please

Anyone actually thought that this drivetrain is for the R version and not the regular version? TT R version and NA regular version. That would probably satisfy everyone and stop all the whining.

It's not gonna satisfy everyone and stop all the whining if there's not a clutch/stick version. :)

Wow! So looking forward to seeing the real deal and the stats / data!

A bit amazed at all of the Whining going on around here. Just glad that
they have kept the NSX Alive and have revamped NSX Interests around
the World! I remember for years just the rumor of a New NSX Design was
enough to make most happy! Nice thought ... TWIN TURBO's! Oh, it's
really going to Happen! Sweet!

Funny, maybe to some they'd prefer not having this at all, then they
would not have to whine! Amazing!! Get passed it... It will arrive then
you can complain. Until then .... don't lose any sleep... LOL!

I think HONDA will do just fine with the New NSX!

Amen, brutha!

It's not gonna satisfy everyone and stop all the whining if there's not a clutch/stick version. :)

This is true. However,"no manual tranny" is not stopping the sales of GTRs or any other high performance vehicle. The days of manuals are over. I just don't see how a driver can feel connected with paddleshifters.

I think a well built Turbo properly balanced for longevity and power has potential. That said, I have a lot of love for my NA 3.2 liter.

My concern is more with the Hybrid. I love the idea but will be interested in how you will Mod the car. I guess I need to look into what they are doing with Tesla roadsters...

Automotive News and Motor Trend say the engine will be 3.5 liters or no larger than 3.5 liters.
Edmunds is the one who is assuming 3.7 liters.
Honda remains silent on the actual displacement.
I think until Honda announces we can't assume anything about the displacement.
I'm also thinking the power output will be one of the last things specified.

I'm sure somewhere in Japan this engine has been running on dynos for some time with a variety of turbo boosts, cam timing etc.
Honda is very good at this and I'd think at some point they'll choose a tuning set-up that will yield the torque delivery and reliability they want for the road car
No doubt they've taken the engine to very high levels of boost and cam timing to see what can be wrung out of it for racing applications, type R versions and so on.

I think it was in 1988 that the Honda 1.5 liter 80 degree V6 turbo F1 engine was putting out 675 hp at 12,500 rpm or 450 hp per liter.
That's 25 years ago so with today's electronics, alloys, injection and turbo systems I'm sure it would be higher.
Our NSX by comparison seems to be a pretty mild tune with perhaps 500-525 hp at 9000 rpm.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a racing version of the NSX engine come close to 900 hp depending on the boost allowed in the rules.

In short I don't think displacement will be as important as the bore/stroke relationship and weight of the spinning components.
Larger displacement means larger heavier pistons, rods, crank etc. and I would think Honda has considered all that in deciding on the final engine size.

The choice of going turbo may have come down to the Honda policy of using V6 engines and the total weight of the new NSX.
Perhaps they felt they couldn't reach the performance goals with an NA engine and needed to up the power without making a larger heavier engine.

In any event, as Dave says, how the new NSX drives, handles, sounds and makes you feel as an owner is the most important aspect.
I think Honda will blend all the variables into another great car.

+1 Great post and I totally agree. For this power level if they wanted to stay NA they would have used the HSV V-10. That engine was a magnificent example of Honda engineering prowess. But, turbo is the way of the future and it will have marketing synergies with F1 in 2015. I'm just thrilled to see they are serious this time and are leaving room to develop/improve the model over time.

I love the idea but will be interested in how you will Mod the car.

Wow, The car's not out of the box yet and already talking about mods.

I'm thinking Honda has built this driveline package with a view to evolving it going forward.
Looks like a great base to offer ECU, boost level, and electric motor upgrades into Type-R variants etc.
I'd be surprised if factory performance options weren't offered down the road and I'd hope they'd be compatible on a retrofit basis.

In truth, I am not huge into modding the engine (my engine is stock aside from an intake). That said, look at the threads. Many many people are all about mods. Hell the GTR is pretty new and probably twice as fast as a stock NSX and the shop down the street from me makes it's living modding the engines to around 900hp). It's craziness...

I am fine with stock for a long time (of course it will be a LONG time before I can afford the new NSX anyway...)

Automotive News and Motor Trend say the engine will be 3.5 liters or no larger than 3.5 liters.
Edmunds is the one who is assuming 3.7 liters....

The 2014 MDX dropped from 3.7 (previous year) to 3.5 and it gets 27MPGs on the freeway!???!?!

That is not a hybrid too.

powered by Seaweed Salad
A new rumor! :biggrin:

I don't remember the last car that weighed 2200lbs
My 1984 CRX weighed 1600 pounds bone stock. Looked sort of like this:

280px-Honda_Ballade_CR-X.jpg

That 5.0 has ~the same HP/L as our NSX and can easily reach 100ho/L with the BOSS intake manifold.

LS motors are impressive and those 10k rpm pushrod NASCAR motors are marvels.

Can't wait to hear more details on this car.

That Coyote engine is pretty impressive.

500HP with these parts:

Full exhaust
Port clean-up and sharpened veins (like my engine build)
Stage 1 Cams
Intake
Custom tune

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AdcOqkpKmug?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My 1984 CRX weighed 1600 pounds bone stock. Looked sort of like this:

280px-Honda_Ballade_CR-X.jpg

I'm sure that'll meet modern day CAFE and NHSTA crash testing requirements. ;)

IIRC, the MR2 Spudder weighed 2400lbs. I can't imagine the NSX powerplant and drivetrain in something that weight.

That Coyote engine is pretty impressive.QUOTE]

I'll take the Coyote over the LS anytime. Chop stick/dog leg motor at 10k rpm IS a marvel....cuz they've been at it since 1950. Only recently they added the McLaren buggy ECU. Source - a good buddy building this everyday at TRD next to the John Wayne airport.

I like to think the number of threads here show no girly whiners but car nuts who cares what Honda has to offer. Non of us has ANY influence on what Honda is going to do. A thread like this in 1990 would certainly be similar in terms of what/how/should the NSX v.1 is like and dislike. For those "whiners" back then, many since have mods from mild JDM to wild rice to suite personal preference in addition to the Type S, Type R, targa, Zanardi, etc.

NSX v.1 has a great chassis to allow Billy to win the TT, Cody to do the Pikes, Danny to win the 2006 shootout, and Coz to track his often and Hugh to have over 300k miles strong plus many others. I believe NSX v.2 also will have a great chassis to allow us to do whatever we want to it to silence the whiners.

- - - Updated - - -

red valve cover please

I hate it when Vance is right again:biggrin:

NSPEC do you still have those visual models of the NSX with an extended rear end?

My concern is more with the Hybrid. I love the idea but will be interested in how you will Mod the car.
Im surprised no one thought of this earlier. This thing has three electric motors tuned to harmonize with the V6. Im pretty sure modding this thing will take some serious skills compared to modding any normal turbo charged car.

i hope sos got paid a royalty for the tt setup:wink:

I wouldn't be suprised if later down the road people decide to rip out the hybrid system or disable it

Im surprised no one thought of this earlier. This thing has three electric motors tuned to harmonize with the V6. Im pretty sure modding this thing will take some serious skills compared to modding any normal turbo charged car.

I won't be surprised when shortly after this car is sold to the public, the collective wisdom of the aftermarket will have dreamed up ways to mod the car despite the existence of the electric motors. Hell, they'll probably soup up the electric motors along with the gas engine.

I wouldn't be suprised if later down the road people decide to rip out the hybrid system or disable it

That'd be such a waste though. Think of all of the benefits: digital torque vectoring in an awd package, the almost instant availability of that torque, power down low where everyone likes to play. I can't imagine the amount of corner exit speed this thing could have.

Come to think of it, would it be theoretically advantageous to run purely electric power at the high end of the rev range when the engine was at it's rev limit? I'm sure it would deplete the battery quickly but it'd be interesting performance question.

NSPEC do you still have those visual models of the NSX with an extended rear end?

NSXCompLT.jpg

How I would subtlety reshape the current concept so that it's not too radical and expensive:

N2XMorph_zps3337e35e.gif

As far as engine predictions:

Again, I firmly believe the engine is going to be 3.5, maybe 3.6 to be unique, but not 3.7 or 3.8. It's going to make 500+ hp without the battery power. 8.5K redline. That is my wager! Let's see what Honda decides.

I won't be surprised when shortly after this car is sold to the public, the collective wisdom of the aftermarket will have dreamed up ways to mod the car despite the existence of the electric motors. Hell, they'll probably soup up the electric motors along with the gas engine.

I think the modification opportunities will be determined by whether Honda keeps the engine boost and injection controls separate from the hybrid driveline controls
If an engine only ECU is used then changing boost and fueling could be done independently from the electric driveline parts.
Also if the hybrid controls were stand alone then electric motor power could be changed independently with no effect on the engine

However if Honda locks all of it together into one master control module then I'd say mods will be very difficult.
If I were Honda I'd lock it all up together so tight that no outsiders could mess with the system and any improvement would have to come from Honda as an oem power modification.
I don't think they want any driveline failures in the early years to come from poorly engineered aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
Back