• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX information on Autoweek - Rethinking front engine?

Took a look and didn't see that this is a complete repost. Parts of this have been posted but I thought there was some new info. Sorry in advance if repost...

This was just posted on AutoWeek

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070821/FREE/70820008/1530/FREE

We have seen it is delayed but this was news to me that the next NSX might NOT be a V10 and it MIGHT have a mid-engine layout.

Bad news is if these details are in the air then 2011 even sounds overly optimistic.

NSX: No firm date has been given for the next-generation two-passenger sports car's debut. Acura sources say it could be the 2010 or 2011 model year. Acura showed an advanced sports car concept at the Detroit auto show in January, but it had no engine.

Acura sources say the company hasn't decided whether the next NSX will be powered by a V-10 or if it will be a mid-engine, rwd car or a front-engine awd vehicle. Sources say the V-10 may generate more than 500 hp.

well that's a good news it might NOT be V10 and front engine.

I'd rather see a V12 with mid-engine layout.

they have been talking about next gen NSX for how many years now?

They are trying to distance themselves from the Honda brand?
What is this, now that they're over 20-yrs-old they finally wanna move out of the parents' house? Please!

They just seem lost these days, they don't know what they want. They took a bad hit by cutting the RSX.

And why are the critics whining about no V8? Car makers are being taunted about gas mileages so I see no need for one in an Acura! If a V6 is putting out similar power than there is no need for a V8. I don't really see a need for a luxury vehicle like RL to have 450-500 ponies. Old people who buy those cars will rarely drive them over 55 mph (like my friend's parents with their new Lexus LS).

But that's just me.

^ I agree that there's really no need for 400 or 500 hp sedans- that's just plain unnecessary overkill. Yet, midsize cars like the Accord get bigger and bigger; for '08 the V6 model gets more than 270 ponies, so how then does one justify spending $20K+ more for a spruced-up version of the same car (RL) when it only has 25 more horsepower? Logically, you have to bump the luxury brand's flagship's power in response- sort of a vicious circle, which is why there are 4 door Benzes running around with 500, 600, and probably soon to be 700+ under the hoods.

^ I agree that there's really no need for 400 or 500 hp sedans- that's just plain unnecessary overkill. Yet, midsize cars like the Accord get bigger and bigger; for '08 the V6 model gets more than 270 ponies, so how then does one justify spending $20K+ more for a spruced-up version of the same car (RL) when it only has 25 more horsepower? Logically, you have to bump the luxury brand's flagship's power in response- sort of a vicious circle, which is why there are 4 door Benzes running around with 500, 600, and probably soon to be 700+ under the hoods.

Power sells--pretty simple formula IMO. One can point directly to Toyota's introduction of the V-8 in the Lexus LS as the defining moment where Lexus stepped away from Acura as the leading Japanese luxury brand--and they never looked back.

It's always been about the power game except in the economy period of the late 70s-early 80s. The reason there are 600hp MBZs is because of demand and marketing. Yes, these engines are getting more powerful but they're also getting smaller and/or utilizing FI. Power sells--always has, always will. It's only going to get worse as electronic aid such as TC gets more sophisticated. Why do cars need sophisticated, Formula One based TC systems? Because their drivers can't handle 600hp! No one needs 600hp--the speed limit is 65! But it's about what the cars are capable of. People want to drive a car they know is fast even if they don't drive fast.

As for the V-6 it's not possible in the long run to get the kind of performance to compete against a V-8 out of a V-6 without extreme displacement, inefficiency and compromised reliability. This is paraphrased directly from Shigeru Uehera's statements:

During the design process of the original NSX, exotics such as 328/348 and 911 all had “3 liter class” engines, because it was the standard in an Exotic (small block with high PS rating); however, the approach has changed through time. The only way to get more PS is to build bigger engines. Ferrari for example, redesigned the entire chassis on the 308/328 replacements to allowed bigger engines to be fitted. From 348 and on, the reversal of trunk and radiator location was the evident of this new approach. This method also shifted the weight distribution more to the rear. Unfortunately, the NSX was originally designed to meet the “3 liter class as well as the gentleman's rule of 280ps for the domestic market; also under the consideration was the domestic market taxation on engine size greater than 3.0 liter, which was much higher; those rules set gave the design team the base blueprint for the NA1 NSX.” It was a conservative move but left no room for expansion. However, the original package was ideal in a sense of performance during that time period, and the method of Carbon Reinforced Metal liner allowed us to temporary step up in the HP game. We had to hear complaints from JDM customers because the American model got 10 more PS on paper. “We all know Skyline GTR and NSX-R had more - way more, but we can't disclose it! There is only so much we can do to a production 3.2-liter engine. However, after the release of the new Honda Legend (aka Acura RL) - We broke the gentleman's rule, and the NSX will be our next offender.”

The V-8 is something Honda has needed in their stable for more than twenty years and continue to suck Toyota's tailpipes because of it. It's getting worse and worse. Watch how Toyota destroys the competition with their trucks, the new IS-F, LF-A and the forthcoming Supra successor--all most likely containing a V-8--while retaining the title as the world's most reliable car maker.

I concur--the V-10 concept--and it is still a concept--is idiotic and pointless. I too would also like to see a V-12 before a V-10--and certainly after a V-8. :rolleyes:

Why do you think for the last 30 months Honda has continually stalled, redrawn and scrapped this V-10/ASCC project? All their top engineers and advisors (who have been there forever) are probably screaming at Fukui how moronic it is and keep showing very little progress in R & D because of it's inherently flawed nature. It's possible that after extensive testing for the last 3 years Honda R & D simply cannot produce a V-10 up to the standards of other Honda engines. It would not surprise me at all if Honda has simply been unable to construct a high-output V-10 to their standards by now. It just might not be physically possible to extract that kind of performance and maintain long-term reliability on a V-10 platform.

I think we'd all agree that Honda engines have historically had a much better track record than either of those companies' engines. Why? Honda's standards are clearly much higher. I can totally imagine Audi and BMW allowing their V-10s to leave the factory developed using a far less standard than Honda. Most enigine experts and even Shigeru Uehera have serious doubts about the long-term reliability of the current production high-output V-10s (BMW, Audi) and speculate they will not last past 60K miles before a teardown is needed. And since both V-10s are in cars which happen to accrue very little average mileage (E 60/61 M5/M6, Gallardo) it may be up to 8-10 years before we begin to see the results of high mileage on these V-10s.

Remember how the ASCC was going to debut for 2009? Remember how Fukui promised the "NSX successor" within 2-4 years from early 2005? Yeah, right. Honda doesn't even know which end is up from their F1 program all the way down to the declining reliability of the Civic. I believe stubborn, idealistic, narrow-minded and uninspired Fukui is continuing to beat a dead V-10 horse and consequently having to scrap/rethink/delay all of this V-10 ASCC nonsense as the R & D department keeps giving him bad news. Give it up, dude.

Developing a V-8 will allow for so many possibilties including trucks, a true NSX successor, a possible run at Lexus and many more. I hope Fukui can take a step back and figure out what he needs to do before even Nissan overtakes them next.

I can assure you that you won't be able to get a new one for your $50,000, whatever its design.

Oh, I know. I can get a car that I'll like a whole lot more for a whole lot less. Sadly, cars are going away from the things that I enjoy about them, particularly with the whole paddle shifty thing... and all kinds of electronic doodads such as Nav-systems and stability control and "SH-AWD;" at least an "old" NSX will have a proper manual and it will be mostly me driving the car, rather than the car driving itself.

Power sells--pretty simple formula IMO. One can point directly to Toyota's introduction of the V-8 in the Lexus LS as the defining moment where Lexus stepped away from Acura as the leading Japanese luxury brand--and they never looked back.

It's always been about the power game except in the economy period of the late 70s-early 80s. The reason there are 600hp MBZs is because of demand and marketing. Yes, these engines are getting more powerful but they're also getting smaller and/or utilizing FI. Power sells--always has, always will. It's only going to get worse as electronic aid such as TC gets more sophisticated. Why do cars need sophisticated, Formula One based TC systems? Because their drivers can't handle 600hp! No one needs 600hp--the speed limit is 65! But it's about what the cars are capable of. People want to drive a car they know is fast even if they don't drive fast.

As for the V-6 it's not possible in the long run to get the kind of performance to compete against a V-8 out of a V-6 without extreme displacement, inefficiency and compromised reliability. This is paraphrased directly from Shigeru Uehera's statements:

During the design process of the original NSX, exotics such as 328/348 and 911 all had “3 liter class” engines, because it was the standard in an Exotic (small block with high PS rating); however, the approach has changed through time. The only way to get more PS is to build bigger engines. Ferrari for example, redesigned the entire chassis on the 308/328 replacements to allowed bigger engines to be fitted. From 348 and on, the reversal of trunk and radiator location was the evident of this new approach. This method also shifted the weight distribution more to the rear. Unfortunately, the NSX was originally designed to meet the “3 liter class as well as the gentleman's rule of 280ps for the domestic market; also under the consideration was the domestic market taxation on engine size greater than 3.0 liter, which was much higher; those rules set gave the design team the base blueprint for the NA1 NSX.” It was a conservative move but left no room for expansion. However, the original package was ideal in a sense of performance during that time period, and the method of Carbon Reinforced Metal liner allowed us to temporary step up in the HP game. We had to hear complaints from JDM customers because the American model got 10 more PS on paper. “We all know Skyline GTR and NSX-R had more - way more, but we can't disclose it! There is only so much we can do to a production 3.2-liter engine. However, after the release of the new Honda Legend (aka Acura RL) - We broke the gentleman's rule, and the NSX will be our next offender.”

The V-8 is something Honda has needed in their stable for more than twenty years and continue to suck Toyota's tailpipes because of it. It's getting worse and worse. Watch how Toyota destroys the competition with their trucks, the new IS-F, LF-A and the forthcoming Supra successor--all most likely containing a V-8--while retaining the title as the world's most reliable car maker.

I concur--the V-10 concept--and it is still a concept--is idiotic and pointless. I too would also like to see a V-12 before a V-10--and certainly after a V-8. :rolleyes:

Why do you think for the last 30 months Honda has continually stalled, redrawn and scrapped this V-10/ASCC project? All their top engineers and advisors (who have been there forever) are probably screaming at Fukui how moronic it is and keep showing very little progress in R & D because of it's inherently flawed nature. It's possible that after extensive testing for the last 3 years Honda R & D simply cannot produce a V-10 up to the standards of other Honda engines. It would not surprise me at all if Honda has simply been unable to construct a high-output V-10 to their standards by now. It just might not be physically possible to extract that kind of performance and maintain long-term reliability on a V-10 platform.

I think we'd all agree that Honda engines have historically had a much better track record than either of those companies' engines. Why? Honda's standards are clearly much higher. I can totally imagine Audi and BMW allowing their V-10s to leave the factory developed using a far less standard than Honda. Most enigine experts and even Shigeru Uehera have serious doubts about the long-term reliability of the current production high-output V-10s (BMW, Audi) and speculate they will not last past 60K miles before a teardown is needed. And since both V-10s are in cars which happen to accrue very little average mileage (E 60/61 M5/M6, Gallardo) it may be up to 8-10 years before we begin to see the results of high mileage on these V-10s.

Remember how the ASCC was going to debut for 2009? Remember how Fukui promised the "NSX successor" within 2-4 years from early 2005? Yeah, right. Honda doesn't even know which end is up from their F1 program all the way down to the declining reliability of the Civic. I believe stubborn, idealistic, narrow-minded and uninspired Fukui is continuing to beat a dead V-10 horse and consequently having to scrap/rethink/delay all of this V-10 ASCC nonsense as the R & D department keeps giving him bad news. Give it up, dude.

Developing a V-8 will allow for so many possibilties including trucks, a true NSX successor, a possible run at Lexus and many more. I hope Fukui can take a step back and figure out what he needs to do before even Nissan overtakes them next.

Very interesting points ,but as far as the V10 goes it's a reality. Let's not forget Toyota will also be releasing a V10 and none of us think they'd be willing to put their rep on the line w/o being able to do it reliably. Besides the V6s and V8s MB and Audi sells aren't all that reliable so what would expect from their V10. Besides They're ( Honda ) already working on giving it ( V10 ) better fuel economy than our V6. I too would like a real NSX replacement ,but with current technology it's not impossible to say what they can get out of a larger V6 ,but the problem is people to buy it. Under a $100k a lot of new NSX purchasers would consider buying. We keep seeing this 170k price tag that seems quirky. Honda is known for delivering a lot for the money at that point they would be priced similar to others.

Funny this "might" article goes against everything Honda has been confirming to us. It would be nice if it was credible ,but doesn't seem to be the case.

i don't mind V8's but i think you are overdoing the need
for anything bigger than a 6. take the porsche for example. porsche buyers, as far as i can tell, hate engines with more than 6 cylinders. there has never been a porsche with more than 6 cylinders that did well in the marketplace.
and yet consistently, year after year, the fastest vehicles in the world are porsches. see this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_997

the Gt2
The new 530 horsepower GT2 has a claimed 0-60 of 3.6 Seconds and Top Speed of 204 MPH, the first production, street-legal Porsche 911 with a 200+ MPH top speed. The Targa top models are also available, in Targa 4 and Targa 4S forms. The 997 is the most commercially successful 911 of all time. As of July 2007 it has sold 100,000 units since its introduction in April 2004.[1]

the 997 turbo
According to official Porsche figures, it produces 480 hp, accelerates 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.7 seconds with the manual transmission, and a has 0-100 km/h (62 mph) time of just 3.4 seconds with the manumatic Tiptronic S transmission, which is more than enough to edge out its current rival from Ferrari, the new F430. It has also recorded a 0-60mph time of 3.2 seconds at the hands of US motoring publication Motor Trend - eclipsing all of its major competitors and even Porsche's own Carrera GT supercar. The 997 Turbo has a top speed of 311 km/h (193 mph).

Possibly one of the most astonishing feats of the Porsche 997 is its 40 - 60 mph time. In second gear, it takes just 1 second.[3] The car is also able to launch from 0-30 mph in just 1.1 seconds.

it is just possible that honda is looking at porsche and seeing little need for a V8. or perhaps they are seeing how few BMW V8's are selling (for good reason they are unreliable). i would like to see a 500 HP honda 6.
to me that makes more sense, but obviously if honda
comes out with a light reliable high HP V8 the world will come knocking on their door. even though GM has had one for years...:tongue:

i don't mind V8's but i think you are overdoing the need
for anything bigger than a 6. take the porsche for example. porsche buyers, as far as i can tell, hate engines with more than 6 cylinders. there has never been a porsche with more than 6 cylinders that did well in the marketplace.
and yet consistently, year after year, the fastest vehicles in the world are porsches. see this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_997

the Gt2
The new 530 horsepower GT2 has a claimed 0-60 of 3.6 Seconds and Top Speed of 204 MPH, the first production, street-legal Porsche 911 with a 200+ MPH top speed. The Targa top models are also available, in Targa 4 and Targa 4S forms. The 997 is the most commercially successful 911 of all time. As of July 2007 it has sold 100,000 units since its introduction in April 2004.[1]

the 997 turbo
According to official Porsche figures, it produces 480 hp, accelerates 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.7 seconds with the manual transmission, and a has 0-100 km/h (62 mph) time of just 3.4 seconds with the manumatic Tiptronic S transmission, which is more than enough to edge out its current rival from Ferrari, the new F430. It has also recorded a 0-60mph time of 3.2 seconds at the hands of US motoring publication Motor Trend - eclipsing all of its major competitors and even Porsche's own Carrera GT supercar. The 997 Turbo has a top speed of 311 km/h (193 mph).

Possibly one of the most astonishing feats of the Porsche 997 is its 40 - 60 mph time. In second gear, it takes just 1 second.[3] The car is also able to launch from 0-30 mph in just 1.1 seconds.

it is just possible that honda is looking at porsche and seeing little need for a V8. or perhaps they are seeing how few BMW V8's are selling (for good reason they are unreliable). i would like to see a 500 HP honda 6.
to me that makes more sense, but obviously if honda
comes out with a light reliable high HP V8 the world will come knocking on their door. even though GM has had one for years...:tongue:

Porsche has done wonders with their 6 but they are special. The press and the public seem to really give Porsche a lot of leeway--mostly because the car performs as it should. However, I have read that Porsche is absolutely at the limit with the current 911 block as far as displacement. Their going to have to start over again and you might possibly see the end of the 911 6 cylinder soon.

I am not saying there's anything wrong with a 6 for a NSX successor as long as it pumps out the needed power--around 500 hp and 400 ft/lbs. But they do need a V-8 in their toolbox for many other reasons.

They certainly don't need a V-10, however.

Porsche has done wonders with their 6 but they are special. The press and the public seem to really give Porsche a lot of leeway--mostly because the car performs as it should. However, I have read that Porsche is absolutely at the limit with the current 911 block as far as displacement. Their going to have to start over again and you might possibly see the end of the 911 6 cylinder soon.

I am not saying there's anything wrong with a 6 for a NSX successor as long as it pumps out the needed power--around 500 hp and 400 ft/lbs. But they do need a V-8 in their toolbox for many other reasons.

They certainly don't need a V-10, however.

i only see two reasons for a Honda V8.
1. for a big truck like the tundra.
2. for a big luxury cruiser like the lexus 460.

regarding porsche as being "special". having the fastest car in the world is not about being special. it is pure and simple victory, a statement about engineering and speed that cannot be refuted or spun into a different interpretation. porsche does not mean special, it means fast. look at it this way - how come the fastest porsches have always been 6's, when they had a perfectly nice V8
to play with that they built thousands of? how come the V8 was not in their fastest cars?

i only see two reasons for a Honda V8.
1. for a big truck like the tundra.
2. for a big luxury cruiser like the lexus 460.

regarding porsche as being "special". having the fastest car in the world is not about being special. it is pure and simple victory, a statement about engineering and speed that cannot be refuted or spun into a different interpretation. porsche does not mean special, it means fast. look at it this way - how come the fastest porsches have always been 6's, when they had a perfectly nice V8
to play with that they built thousands of? how come the V8 was not in their fastest cars?

How about competing with Lexus, et al?

If you want to know why Honda needs a V-8 just look at Toyota. They have so many options now and are walking all over everyone.

Porsche is using the V-8 with much success--in the Cayenne. They have chosen to develop their F-6 into something very special but that has also reached its limits and it's very possible that they will be moving to a V-8 as well for the future 911 models.

I have nothing against a 6 but very few companies choose do refine an engine the way Porsche beautifully has. They have been monkeying around with that block for 30 years and they deserve credit. But who else does that? And also of note--the 911 F-6 is not shared by any other car.

If Honda had developed a 4.0L V-6 with 500hp & 400ft/lbs TQ for the HSC or NSX I would have been ecstatic. I have no problem with that. But I think in the overall scheme of things a V-8 would most likely be a very beneficial option for Honda on many levels.

Very interesting points ,but as far as the V10 goes it's a reality. Let's not forget Toyota will also be releasing a V10 and none of us think they'd be willing to put their rep on the line w/o being able to do it reliably. Besides the V6s and V8s MB and Audi sells aren't all that reliable so what would expect from their V10. Besides They're ( Honda ) already working on giving it ( V10 ) better fuel economy than our V6. I too would like a real NSX replacement ,but with current technology it's not impossible to say what they can get out of a larger V6 ,but the problem is people to buy it. Under a $100k a lot of new NSX purchasers would consider buying. We keep seeing this 170k price tag that seems quirky. Honda is known for delivering a lot for the money at that point they would be priced similar to others.

Funny this "might" article goes against everything Honda has been confirming to us. It would be nice if it was credible ,but doesn't seem to be the case.

There is no reason to believe Honda and Fukui have changed their day-late, dollar short and incommunicative, vague philosophies that they have demostrated since the mid-1990s. They failed the NSX, S2000 and they are failing in the development of the NSX successor, ASCC and V-10. They have failed in developing a truck worthy of competing with Toyota, a V-8 and they have failed to challenge Lexus in any realistic way. They are failing to provide us with the relative quality and reliability Soichiro worked his whole life to give us and even their F1 program is floundering miserably, failing to live up to the amazing racing heritage built by Soichiro.

You've got a lot of faith believing anything Honda says these days. They have lost all credibility with me based on their actions over the last 13 years. Fukui has promised a lot but absolutely nothing is on the horizon. We are no closer to the ASCC or a V-10 than we were in 2005. All I see is car mags repeating the same empty promises made in 2005 over and over. :frown:

There have been no Honda official announcements since then. The ASCC showed itself in 2006 but that was hardly an announcement, IMO. They also debuted the HSC, didn't they?

All we get is talk, goofy-looking concepts, spy photos of some chopped-up S2000 mule and postponements of anything NSX, ASCC or V-10 related. Both are far from reality at this point.

I'm going on record as saying that it will be highly unlikely Honda will offcially debut a V-10 soon, if at all--certainly not in any car before 2011--3 years after Fukui promised it at the soonest. And if it does debut it will be far from a 4.0-5.0L 500 hp monster. I contend that it is simply impractical and cost-ineffective to develop a reliable V-10 to that level. Even if they could do it, which they probably can, the costs of development and the costs of production would be enormous and push the price of any car in which it is contained beyond reason for a Honda.

Again, we have no idea how long the BMW and Audi V-10s will last. We know that they are most likely going to be less reliable than anything Honda produces. I think it's very possible that BMW and Audi released their V-10s knowing full well that they would in all likelihood not last past 60K miles. I also think it's very possible that Honda cannot develop a high-output V-10 engine, within their given budget restraints, that the engineers could confidently say will last more than 100K miles.

And as far as a Toyota V-10 this extremely gently-worded speculative article is about as close as I could find to anything solid regarding it. Toyota has far from released anything official regarding a V-10 the way Honda foolishly has. Very loose language used to decribe the possibility of Toyota actually developing one, from Motor Trend:

This also is official (kind of) notice that a V-10 has emerged as the engine Lexus will use in its supercar. Lexus hasn't announced the engine, or even made the supercar official, but Toyota was said to be considering either the V-10 or a twin-turbo version of the LS sedan's V-8.

Hmm, haven't announced it, not official, still considering a V-8...:rolleyes: Far from a reality--sounds more like auto-mag selling blabber.

There is no reason to believe Honda and Fukui have changed their day-late, dollar short and incommunicative, vague philosophies that they have demostrated since the mid-1990s. They failed the NSX, S2000 and they are failing in the development of the NSX successor, ASCC and V-10. They have failed in developing a truck worthy of competing with Toyota, a V-8 and they have failed to challenge Lexus in any realistic way. They are failing to provide us with the relative quality and reliability Soichiro worked his whole life to give us and even their F1 program is floundering miserably, failing to live up to the amazing racing heritage built by Soichiro.

You've got a lot of faith believing anything Honda says these days. They have lost all credibility with me based on their actions over the last 13 years. Fukui has promised a lot but absolutely nothing is on the horizon. We are no closer to the ASCC or a V-10 than we were in 2005. All I see is car mags repeating the same empty promises made in 2005 over and over. :frown:

There have been no Honda official announcements since then. The ASCC showed itself in 2006 but that was hardly an announcement, IMO. They also debuted the HSC, didn't they?

All we get is talk, goofy-looking concepts, spy photos of some chopped-up S2000 mule and postponements of anything NSX, ASCC or V-10 related. Both are far from reality at this point.

I'm going on record as saying that it will be highly unlikely Honda will offcially debut a V-10 soon, if at all--certainly not in any car before 2011--3 years after Fukui promised it at the soonest. And if it does debut it will be far from a 4.0-5.0L 500 hp monster. I contend that it is simply impractical and cost-ineffective to develop a reliable V-10 to that level. Even if they could do it, which they probably can, the costs of development and the costs of production would be enormous and push the price of any car in which it is contained beyond reason for a Honda.

Again, we have no idea how long the BMW and Audi V-10s will last. We know that they are most likely going to be less reliable than anything Honda produces. I think it's very possible that BMW and Audi released their V-10s knowing full well that they would in all likelihood not last past 60K miles. I also think it's very possible that Honda cannot develop a high-output V-10 engine, within their given budget restraints, that the engineers could confidently say will last more than 100K miles.

And as far as a Toyota V-10 this extremely gently-worded speculative article is about as close as I could find to anything solid regarding it. Toyota has far from released anything official regarding a V-10 the way Honda foolishly has. Very loose language used to decribe the possibility of Toyota actually developing one, from Motor Trend:

This also is official (kind of) notice that a V-10 has emerged as the engine Lexus will use in its supercar. Lexus hasn't announced the engine, or even made the supercar official, but Toyota was said to be considering either the V-10 or a twin-turbo version of the LS sedan's V-8.

Hmm, haven't announced it, not official, still considering a V-8...:rolleyes: Far from a reality--sounds more like auto-mag selling blabber.

You always rub it in when you bring up the HSC! You know that's a sore spot with me:frown:

Also Honda didn't release the pics of the modified S2000 they were spy pics. Honda didn't confirm or deny anything with that. The only thing they released was that they were working on getting the v10 to have better fuel economy than our V6. I guess it doesn't bother me so much if they delay the next model as I'm really waiting for the Civic Type R to hit stateside plus I already have an NSX and and S2000 so Honda is still making me happy.

Also the Lexus V10 info is confirmed on their site. Lool at LF-A unvield link on the middle right hand side under "related links" http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a.html

You always rub it in when you bring up the HSC! You know that's a sore spot with me:frown:

Also Honda didn't release the pics of the modified S2000 they were spy pics. Honda didn't confirm or deny anything with that. The only thing they released was that they were working on getting the v10 to have better fuel economy than our V6. I guess it doesn't bother me so much if they delay the next model as I'm really waiting for the Civic Type R to hit stateside plus I already have an NSX and and S2000 so Honda is still making me happy.

Also the Lexus V10 info is confirmed on their site. Lool at LF-A unvield link on the middle right hand side under "related links" http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a.html

Ha, yes, I too was a big fan of the HSC and was extremely disappointed when it never arrived. But again, Honda failed the HSC--not the other way around. A better engine and a 2003 release was all it needed to rule the world.

And yes, the S2K mule photos were spy shots. That was my point. Nothing official. The only Honda statements we hear are hollow promises at best. We have to rely on spy photos and speculation to get any kind of read on what Honda is into. What's with all the secrecy and tight-lipped attitude? I don't get it. Honda's PR and marketing philosophy is atrocious. :mad:

As far as the LF-A it's still a concept. Toyota has not confirmed it will in fact produce that car yet, therefore the V-10 is a concept. This is as close as they are to producing it:

“The first LF-A was a pure concept, but one that we went so far as to conduct engineering analysis on,” said Carter. “This latest concept is much closer to a vehicle that we would bring to market, and one in which we will be gauging consumer interest.”

Sounds like they are still judging consumer interest. We won't see this car or its V-10 come to production until 2011 at the earliest--same goes for a Honda V-10 or ASCC. Both are still 100% concept at this point.

Lexus might be able to get away with it, though, but I doubt Acura can. I stand by my theory that a high-output, Toyota/Honda quality V-10 is going to be extremely costly to produce. Honda knows it's not going to be able to sell the ASCC for more than 100K; the LF-A, however, might be able to command 150K, thus allowing Toyota to spend the money it needs to make the V-10 it wants.

I really think it's possible the Honda engineers are really struggling with this V-10 project right now. Considering Honda's secretive ways I think the "better gas mileage" line could be interpreted as overall struggle with this V-10 in the engine department. Honda has mislead us before--don't think they won't do it again.

With no V-10 the ASCC project dies. They're not working on a V-8 and they will be laughed out of town if they go with any V-6, even a high-output one. The V-10 ASCC is Acura's last chace to gain some market share against Lexus and it's no coincidence the ASCC talk has died down significantly over the last 12 months. They can't build the damn motor Fukui assumed could be built using the budget allotted per motor.

Anyway, JMO, pure speculation.

This car is turning into the next Chinese Democracy. I say HSC body with a mid mounted Twin-Turbo V8 ala F1.

the next gen NSX with 6 cyliner would be fine as long as it's fast.

here are some good examples of 6 cyl cars. :cool:

Dauer 962
d962.jpg

Peugeot Oxia
4-oxia.jpg

Jaguar XJ220
jaguar-xj220.jpg

Schuppan 962 CR
Porsche_Schuppan_962_CR.jpg

Porsche 911 GT1
porsche-911-gt1-back-2_74.jpg

Tommy Kaira ZZII
tommy_kaira_zz2.jpg

Nismo R34 Z-TUNE
P6030035.jpg

We did not loose faith in Honda, we just wish they would build a world contender like the HSC design, and stick with a mid engine. If, I wanted a front engine mount car, I’d buy a Chevy. :biggrin:

looks like you guys lost faith in honda
just wait :wink:

Not me Brother! The S2000 CR and Civic Type R ( in two years ) Heck I'm actually considering a TL Type S. Of course the new one is on the horizon so I'll hold off on that. Apparently Acura will have a new logo called "Acura Advance " and they'll have the SH-AWD on everything. Of course that's very Audi reminescent , but hopefully they won't be as heavy as the Audis.

looks like you guys lost faith in honda
just wait :wink:

Wait for what? I waited 13 years for Honda to properly update and market the NSX and produce an NSX successor...nothing. I've also waited 20 years for Honda to produce a world-class truck capapble of challenging at least Nissan--let alone Toyota. Nope--didn't happen and still hasn't happened.

S2000 CR? Great. Another day late and dollar short from Honda. This essentially Type-S model should have been introduced in 2000...:rolleyes: The damn car is going to be killed off next year anyway--with no replacement in sight once again. What are they thinking?

Meanwhile, I watch the overall reliability of Honda decline and their former championship F1 program produce a season best 10th place in qualifying with 1 point to date for 2007.

How long do you have to be let down and how long must you stand by while a company loses ground to it's competitors before you begin to lose faith? Honda isn't currently heading in any direction that I'm interested in following...very sad state for a once great company.

Keep on selling those Civics, Fukui--it's what you do best.

It's going to be at least 2011 before anything even close to interesting comes off the Honda delivery truck--if anything comes at all. Wake me up then. The Civic-R might be interesting but I was never that impressed with the previous Civic-Rs anyway.

Honda needs to impress me again at this point. I'm really looking forward to what Toyota has to offer. I really do wish Honda had something to offer but they just don't.

At the point Honda actually decides to build the NSX replacement; most of us will be to old to drive one-What a shame that Honda did not get their act together before discontinuing the NSX. I could see a 2 year break, but what now 6 years or so....

Back