• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX is not selling? it's overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one of the interviews with Turd, he noted the need to keep up with the market offerings and that the longitudinal configuration of the Gen2 car allows that

i am more concerned that getting a targa or a hard top vert will be Undoable because there is no place to store a roof panel or to fold up a roof

i was told by my local exotic dealer that almost all of the Mclaren 650s customers opt for the convertible

along with that thought, how does a Type R get made? That is, if like the GT3 version they remove the electric motors, the current rear-biased weight balance will become more pronounced (I am supposing they put dead weight or a fuel cell in the nose the GT3 to make up the weight imbalance or leave it to the driver to handle). And the other electric motor+LI battery is more or less in the center of the car so removing that weight helps but doesn't really change the weight balance by much...

So how does a Type R happen? They cannot move the engine forward, the transmission is already in back behind the motor (from what I can tell), they can't more the passenger compartment forward, etc, so a Type R will have a weight balance problem, I don't know how they solve that

I don't think we'll ever see a street legal RWD version of the new NSX. That would require Acura to discard many of the elements of the car that make it special, and push the car into something that it was never intended to be.

The most straightforward path to a performance version is a modest weight reduction, coupled with higher output from ICE (more boost) and electrics-- likely mainly from relaxing engineering safety margins in both systems versus dramatic physical changes. Perhaps a revised battery would allow for even higher maximum discharge rates.

I pressed Ted pretty hard at xpo asking If my hold out for a special edition had merit...he politely said no...

So how does a Type R happen? They cannot move the engine forward, the transmission is already in back behind the motor (from what I can tell), they can't more the passenger compartment forward, etc, so a Type R will have a weight balance problem, I don't know how they solve that

They don't. But then again, Porsche has lived with their weight balance problem for decades with the 911.

I would feel most confident in saying they will boost the power of the V6 and maybe they can get a juicier battery pack (by year 3 or 4).

I am not sure what else will be available to them other than doing some weight reduction tactics.

I think the first wave will be add a few features (folding mirrors) and add some more customization options (yellow or orange exterior, gray or blue interior, more caliper colors, maybe the panorama roof shown in the UK advertising).

I pressed Ted pretty hard at xpo asking If my hold out for a special edition had merit...he politely said no...

He'd be completely stupid to admit to that because that would kill even more launch sales. And he needs a successful launch (which let's face it...it isn't) to keep him in a position where Honda lets him helm another project.

but no mistakes about it, they've been working on the "special" car for awhile now.

I would feel most confident in saying they will boost the power of the V6 and maybe they can get a juicier battery pack (by year 3 or 4).

I am not sure what else will be available to them other than doing some weight reduction tactics.

I think the first wave will be add a few features (folding mirrors) and add some more customization options (yellow or orange exterior, gray or blue interior, more caliper colors, maybe the panorama roof shown in the UK advertising).

i don't think that is gonna be nearly enough...

They don't. But then again, Porsche has lived with their weight balance problem for decades with the 911.

and their magic German fairy dust has miraculously masked those traits in the modern era of 911's...

well then, there's your answer...

He'd be completely stupid to admit to that because that would kill even more launch sales. And he needs a successful launch (which let's face it...it isn't) to keep him in a position where Honda lets him helm another project.

but no mistakes about it, they've been working on the "special" car for awhile now.

everyone knows Ferrari and Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. will build "special" models a year or two down the line. but that doesn't stop them from selling base models by the boat load...

p.s. i'm presuming you have inside information?

Last edited:

.not when he was mesmerized by my steely brown eyes.....

^^^^ Lol.

It won't be enough to go at McLaren, but if their goal is to sell enough to support the factory and help spice up the brand, that will be enough (getting total power over 600 HP for example).

Again, a lot of the buyers of this car are demographically different than McLaren buyers (older, calmer) and the word track relates to their career, not asphalt.

I have been putting around the Ford GT forum. Kind of fascinating that many of the folksthee are heavy duty Ford centric consumers, some already having 2 of the previous GT, plus a Mustang, and F150, and vintage Ford, then maybe a Porsche or Ferrari.

Again, I think if the nsx was priced at 135k dollars it would crush gtr sales. Also, even at 135k these vehicles MUST be test driven. If that requires running your credit, a 500 dollar charge, whatever it takes. I do not disagree what new owners say about the car. Which is why I think pricing and eager sales slogans will be it's saving grace. The carbon options other than the brakes do nothing for the cars performance and quite frankly the quality looks sub-par compared to high end exoctic sports cars carbon working abilities. I like the shape of the carbon spoiler, but for the cost, no thank you. I cannot wait to see A.S. Motorsports carbon front grill on these cars, it looks awesome. These are the kind of upgrades Honda should have went after with carbon, the bumpers. To compete with the 570s which has no carbon bumpers either at a 200k price tag.
So if the 570s beats it slightly, you need to have a reason why buyers want it and it isn't quiet mode.

And he needs a successful launch (which let's face it...it isn't) to keep him in a position where Honda lets him helm another project.

Call me crazy, but I would hope product planning and marketing would be blamed first for any failed launches in today's automotive world instead of the leader chosen to stuff their non-negotiable must-do-absolutely-everything-well-instead-of-maintain-a-laser-focus feature set behind the corporate fascia du jour and make it happen. That comment is not Honda specific. FWIW I think Ted will be safe regardless of how the launch is eventually judged. :)

or will they simply do what they did the last time with the generation one NSX an leave it as it was?
god I hope not
the MP4-12c wasn't that great for some and got panned quite a bit in the media as being sole less compared to a Ferrari but look at what it has become in the 675LT
the new NSX is a good car just not as desirable as hoped, that must be obvious since we are having this discussion but it could evolve into something more and yes the 650 or 675LT spider is way more desirable to the coupe

Understand that Honda folks are almost never going to tell you about future product plans before they're officially announced. I've asked Honda folks for years about stuff and they always stonewall, even if it is for something as mundane as a new trim level for a bread and butter product. It is a huge no-no for anyone to discuss future product plans.

What you can get out of people sometimes is to talk about market segments and where they'd like to be. Or what they learned from the current models that they're thinking about. So with the NSX at the launch people might say stuff like, 'the engine has a lot of head room', or this is an area that we learned a lot from and can do differently in the future. I think it's all but certain a Type-R is in the cards, the question is what other variants will come down the pipeline and when. I think a spyder or targa is probably the next most likely variant but beyond that, who knows.

One nice thing about the PMC is that they've got the ability to make very small batch cars so that might be where a potential Type-S or Type-S Zero or a RWD NSX could come in.

I just kind of wonder why Honda would become something they are not and push into the HP war

a pic of the 720s was just leaked and I cannot see Honda making a version to go against that

it also seems that the exotic car world is moving to a no limits world.

a guy in LA (who already has a P1) paid $820k for a completely custom spec 675lt Spyder

again, Honda is barely able to deal with a custom order car, I can't imagine them putting people in place that can deal with the range of asks these kind of customers want

One interesting trend is that there are about the number of total 2017 R8 and NSX on cars.com but there are 24 used NSX and only 13 used R8's on cars.com. I noticed in two months used 2017 NSX's went from 4 to 24 quickly. Not sure what is going on there.

On another note, anyone looking for a used 2017 with low mileage, Niello Acura contacted me with a special price of $162,999.00 That is almost 8K below their current discounted price. Discounts are starting to take place. This is a good sign since the 2017 used cars online are growing and growing...

Of the 24 "Used" NSX's online, only three cars have more than 500 miles (highest is a hair over 1000). Vast majority have less than 50 miles on them. Essentially new cars. These are "flippers," not people who expected to be long term owners who spent time with car and changed their minds....

It's just a sign of misguided speculation that didn't work out for them-- as is the inherent nature of speculation.

It will sort itself out soon.

Understand that Honda folks are almost never going to tell you about future product plans before they're officially announced. I've asked Honda folks for years about stuff and they always stonewall, even if it is for something as mundane as a new trim level for a bread and butter product. It is a huge no-no for anyone to discuss future product plans.

What you can get out of people sometimes is to talk about market segments and where they'd like to be. Or what they learned from the current models that they're thinking about. So with the NSX at the launch people might say stuff like, 'the engine has a lot of head room', or this is an area that we learned a lot from and can do differently in the future. I think it's all but certain a Type-R is in the cards, the question is what other variants will come down the pipeline and when. I think a spyder or targa is probably the next most likely variant but beyond that, who knows.

One nice thing about the PMC is that they've got the ability to make very small batch cars so that might be where a potential Type-S or Type-S Zero or a RWD NSX could come in.

maybe so but he was under my spell...................

Of the 24 "Used" NSX's online, only three cars have more than 500 miles (highest is a hair over 1000). Vast majority have less than 50 miles on them. Essentially new cars. These are "flippers," not people who expected to be long term owners who spent time with car and changed their minds....

It's just a sign of misguided speculation that didn't work out for them-- as is the inherent nature of speculation.

I agree, your brain is very logical, like Spock:biggrin:

Makes sense..

One interesting trend is that there are about the number of total 2017 R8 and NSX on cars.com but there are 24 used NSX and only 13 used R8's on cars.com. I noticed in two months used 2017 NSX's went from 4 to 24 quickly. Not sure what is going on there.

On another note, anyone looking for a used 2017 with low mileage, Niello Acura contacted me with a special price of $162,999.00 That is almost 8K below their current discounted price. Discounts are starting to take place. This is a good sign since the 2017 used cars online are growing and growing...

what color does niello have used?

Here is my local dealers sales approach, the sign on the rear decklid reads:'please do not touch thank you'

Attachments

• IMG_8682.JPG
    IMG_8682.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 69
Thanks. 172 build similar to what im looking at. I bet 10k off will be commonplace in a few months. Im going to approach the local dealer and ask for 22 k off msrp (around 202k build i believe) and 70 k for my collector 92 nsx for trade. :) Then check in once a month if car is still there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back