• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX is not selling? it's overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^
Even so, now we're getting there. $169k is their asking....there's likely some haggle room for the savvy buyer.

Long wandering topic!

Here's my brief thoughts on why the new NSX isn't selling and whether it is overpriced:

Key reasons it isn't selling:
- badge on the car
- lack of high end interior
- dealership experience and lack of customers in that price range visiting Acura dealerships
- Audi R8
- magazine performance tests

I don't believe the car is overpriced at all relative to the market it competes in. I do think that new cars in general are all crazy over priced (with the exception of the corvette).

From what I understand the NSX provides a spectacular driving experience and that is its main appeal. That appeal is difficult to use as a selling point - sales figures for the NA1/NA2 NSX prove that point.

Here is an interesting post on the Ferrari forums from a high end car shopper:

The car is a 2017 Acura NSX. Acura calls it a super car. The physical appearance is okay but it is growing on me. Where the car really shines is the performance. The car is a hybrid and the ones I have driven before left me cold because of the mediocre performance although they had great gas mileage. One hybrid claimed 98 mpg.
The Acura performance, power and handing are just amazing. I fell in love with the car after the first drive. You have to drive the car to believe it.It probably is not as quick as my Adventador but it definitely dust my other cars while it is luxurious. The Acura is a super car and I think they nailed it.

I find myself going to the garage with coffee to look at the car. As I look at the car I am picking up exterior design elements that are flowing and Frankly just beautiful. I consider myself a car person and I had never heard of the car and only ran into it by accident.

I took the car to my exotic car group that meets once a month. I thought no one would know what it is. I was wrong they all knew of the car and some could quote specs.

Just shows I need to start buying car magazines again or get out more.

Thank you Acura for making this car!

Regardless of how great the car is, it's all about perception. Personally, I do think it's over priced... for the Brand. While the R8 may draw comparisons, Audi does make other vehicles for well over $100K, Acura/Honda does not. So for the R8 to be 1.4x the next most expensive car, is not a big stretch. For Acura to go >3x, that's pushing it, IMO. They should have really tried to build/sell the NSX to fully option well under $150K. People will say... well Lexus made the LFA, Ford makes the GT. Well those cars are in a different league, limited production, exotic materials, etc. For giggles, I checked my local Acura dealer, they have 2 new NSX sitting in inventory (next highest price vehicle was RLX @ $60K). I didn't hear of too many LFA or GTs sitting around. I guess only time will tell.

^^^^ Lil late but that's what we have been saying like 100 posts ago...

Dozens of LFAs sat

There are still a few new ones (2012 model built for 2 years) on showroom floors.

I haven't seen a delivery of a new GT yet, super cool car but at nearly $500K, it is more about collectors putting them in garages than cars on the road.

^^^^ Lil late but that's what we have been saying like 100 posts ago...
Sorry, but I skip over your posts. You're a broken record. And come across as someone that felt they were entitled to a better priced NSX. Like Acura owed you something.

Last edited:
Dozens of LFAs sat

There are still a few new ones (2012 model built for 2 years) on showroom floors.

I haven't seen a delivery of a new GT yet, super cool car but at nearly $500K, it is more about collectors putting them in garages than cars on the road.
I don't think any sat. They were all built to order. that's not to say dealers didn't buy them to flip. But all were screened to potential buyers like the GT. Point me to a new one with delivery miles and ill
add it to my collection in a heartbeat.

I had an allocation

About 174 were allocated to the US, 50 of which went to dealers.

After Lexus burned through a bunch of customers (drop outs like me), a lot more of the cars ended up spec'd by and delivered to dealers who sold them off slowly.

They do not appear on dealer inventory (Lexus kept them off the regular system). If you want one (awesome car, I have driven it), just call a few dealers and they should be able to locate one for you. Dealers are not supposed to charge over sticker for this car.

Here is a listing that may or may not be current

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Lexus-LFA-d2082#listing=89791215

The last Ford GTs, like the LFAs, did not exactly fly off lots when introduced. A major market correction could see the same thing happen to the new one. A couple more weeks of orange Pee wee Herman signing leather bound menus should take care of that.

Sorry, but I skip over your posts. You're a broken record. And come across as someone that felt they were entitled to a better priced NSX. Like Acura owed you something.
Fair enough my friend. You forgot to skip a post though.:biggrin:

you may not think it's overpriced, but a lot of people do. it isn't just one person...

p.s. maybe stop skipping posts and you'll get the bigger picture. or try reading the title of the thread?

you may not think it's overpriced, but a lot of people do. it isn't just one person...

p.s. maybe stop skipping posts and you'll get the bigger picture. or try reading the title of the thread?
Well I did try to go a little further and try to explain WHY I thought it was overpriced. My apologies if that was lost on you.

The sales angle is always very subjective when it comes to Supercars. I personally view the great sales number of the R8 makes it less exotic as everyone seems to have one or be able to get one, and the attractive lease offers also aid that in the sales numbers like many other German cars. Also hurts the depreciation factor too...

There are a number of reasons why the new NSX is not selling well atm, mostly because it's dead winter and largely because the launch has been mishandled by dealerships.

However, given the insight from other prospective buyers of other supercars like the Ford GT and LFA, it's clearly a norm for sports cars sales to lag at some point. Even the cheap FR-S/ BR-Z are lagging after initial demands were met.

Only true icons with proper evolving models over the years like the 911, Corvette, Ferrari, etc. have what it takes to sell cars in predictable sales numbers. One-offs like the FGT, LFA, and NSX are going to be less predictable and harder to sell because of brand loyalty.

And you'll be spending most of your time in the shop. :p

McLaren... WORST... CAR... EVER!!

Never owned a McLaren but have owned a few Ferraris. Pieces of junk. The amount of things that fail with 10,000 miles on the clock are simply astonishing. Even when changing ALL the fluids at a cost of 1500.00 annually.

Never owned a McLaren but have owned a few Ferraris. Pieces of junk. The amount of things that fail with 10,000 miles on the clock are simply astonishing. Even when changing ALL the fluids at a cost of 1500.00 annually.
My 12C didn't even last to the first paid service or 5,000 miles, so I can't really comment as to cost. :frown:

I don't think any sat. They were all built to order. that's not to say dealers didn't buy them to flip. But all were screened to potential buyers like the GT. Point me to a new one with delivery miles and ill
add it to my collection in a heartbeat.

I bought one with delivery miles a year ago. Dealer sat on it for 3 years. Most new ones are covered and awaiting the inevitable appreciation. I, in turn, actually drive mine and what an incredible drive it is. It s the one car I have driven that you just never want to stop driving. Hard to understand until you do it.

The LFA engine feels like there is no internal resistance.

You can punch the gas at any speed, load, whatever and it just runs up to the redline like it was in neutral.

Well I did try to go a little further and try to explain WHY I thought it was overpriced. My apologies if that was lost on you.

no need to apologise. i left you a very worthy reply, but the moderators deleted it...

The LFA engine feels like there is no internal resistance.

You can punch the gas at any speed, load, whatever and it just runs up to the redline like it was in neutral.

absolutely the best sounding engine of any streetcar. one can only imagine what it's like to drive... :smile:

I think it is seriously unfair to favor 1 side in any debate wheather it be a car or politics. I see a lot of people who post dislikes about the new car get hammered by 1 side. Is this not the reason for discussion? Do we just post nothing but 1 sided views while others get deleted and slammed here? Seems fitting though given the politics of this country right now. For the love of god, stop smelling your own asses, this is a car chat forum, it doesn't save lives, it doesn't cure cancer, I do not care who you know, or who you work for... It is a DISCUSSION!! Listen to BOTH sides..... Jesus....

Regurgitating the same crap endlessly hardly qualifies as a discussion. If you love the Euro crap that you constantly natter on about so much, go get one. Better yet, get two or three, so one of them might be functioning enough to actually drive when you need it. Probably won't be a problem, as you won't be out for many pleasure drives, because you'll be working all the time trying to stay ahead of the ridiculous maintenance costs of your treasures.

So we are going to talk about maintenance costs now? On a car that not even technicians who work on it know anything about? Hmmmm, okay. Let's just wait and see what happens when this video game car gets a virus. [MENTION=4656]2slow2speed[/MENTION] that article was eerie. It was as if I was reading posts on Prime about the car. The car is over priced and not selling well. That cannot be denied...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back