• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Subwoofer Box II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John.... kudos and THANKS for the NEW sub!

John stopped by my house yesterday with this perfectly taped and labeled box in the trunk of his NSX. He pulls out the box and hands it to me. I open it with much anticipation...... the new Version 2 sub!

I quickly remove his Version 1 sub from my NSX and drop in his (now mine) new sub. One word... DAMN! Guys.... Johns first sub was incredible... his new one is AMAZING.

We all know how well the Ztoolman subs sound, but who in their right mind wants to chisel off your the power steering unit and mounting points off your NSX? I know I wish I hadn't!

John's new sub is an engineering marvel. For those of you that don't know John, he is an actual Doctor and Inventor. This guy is probably as smart as 6 1/2 or those brainiacs you had in college.... remember the guys that screwed up the entire grading curve.... yep ... John was probably the guy that pissed all of them off!

John has taken the stereo to new heights for the NSX. Before I bought his sub, I had never met him. The reason I speak so highly about him and his product is because I have met him and I have his subs.... version 1 and version 2.

I love the fact that John has taken the idea of adding a sub to your NSX without having to change the integrity of your steering components and made it so good that nobody can believe it.

Here is the bet! Come to my house any day of the week. Bring $100 bucks.... I will bring $500. If you don't like the sub...you get my $500 ... if you like it... I keep your $100. So all you haters... put your money where your mouth is. Please come soon... Christmas is upon us and all the extra cash will be nice!

Owning an NSX means you are willing to accept the fact that a sub 300 hp car can compete and beat 400+ hp cars...that superior engineering can beat raw horsepower. John is the true NSX fan. His sub stands for everything we all love about the NSX.

Lastly ... yes ... I did buy both of his subs.
I'm really not one to talk negatively about anything or anyone. So I hope this isn't perceived as such. This sub is of excellent build quality. However, i've heard this v2 in person and I think you would be paying me the $500 in this case.

Obviously, sound is very subjective. I was an audiophile for many years. It's what paid for college. To claim this is the best sounding sub or even a great sounding sub would be too strong of a comment imo. Yes, it can produce much much more volume than the stock sub but I would like to hear it with an eq/crossover that really tames the 120-160hz range which was much too pronounced with the sub. It's the typical problem when the enclosure is too small - the higher bass levels become very isolated and the speaker has problems pushing low notes in the 60-80hz range. At this point i'd much prefer the fullness of the OEM Bose sub even sacrificing some volume. This sub would probably be ok if someone listened to Kanye all day.

Not wanting to pick a fight or anything just want people to make sure to listen to the product first. I do hope their ears will like it. We need more support to vendors for our NSXs especially as the numbers decrease and the cars age.

Also, John is a stand up guy. This is probably the best sound you can get from such a small enclosure so kudos for that. I'm almost tempted to ask John to sell me an enclosure w/o a speaker cutout so I can try a 6" sub or perhaps a 8" sub. Maybe even experiment with some porting. I don't think I have a $500~ to toss around and just end up with a canibalized useless sub... ok.. i'm rambling.

I'm really not one to talk negatively about anything or anyone. So I hope this isn't perceived as such. This sub is of excellent build quality. However, i've heard this v2 in person and I think you would be paying me the $500 in this case.

Obviously, sound is very subjective. I was an audiophile for many years. It's what paid for college. To claim this is the best sounding sub or even a great sounding sub would be too strong of a comment imo. Yes, it can produce much much more volume than the stock sub but I would like to hear it with an eq/crossover that really tames the 120-160hz range which was much too pronounced with the sub. It's the typical problem when the enclosure is too small - the higher bass levels become very isolated and the speaker has problems pushing low notes in the 60-80hz range. At this point i'd much prefer the fullness of the OEM Bose sub even sacrificing some volume. This sub would probably be ok if someone listened to Kanye all day.

Not wanting to pick a fight or anything just want people to make sure to listen to the product first. I do hope their ears will like it. We need more support to vendors for our NSXs especially as the numbers decrease and the cars age.

Also, John is a stand up guy. This is probably the best sound you can get from such a small enclosure so kudos for that. I'm almost tempted to ask John to sell me an enclosure w/o a speaker cutout so I can try a 6" sub or perhaps a 8" sub. Maybe even experiment with some porting. I don't think I have a $500~ to toss around and just end up with a canibalized useless sub... ok.. i'm rambling.

I wonder why John didn't stuff an 8" in there instead a 10"?!

Hello NSX audio lovers,

Many of the NSX Sub I and II users and potential customers have asked about stereo components. Currently I use the stock Bose head unit/CD changer with Polk Momo MM6500 6.5" components in the doors powered by an Eclipse EA4000 amplifier and the the NSX Sub II. I disconnected the rear center Bose speaker.

Here is a picture of the Polk Momo door speakers.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21426&d=1130041261
Here is the tweeter mounted on the door panel.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21432&d=1130041842

Here is a picture of the Eclipse amplifier. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21518&d=1130048587

The following thread goes back to when I first got the NSX and at that time the NSX Sub I and II did not exist.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59302&highlight=polk+audio+sub

Here are 2 other threads showing my initial efforts at improving the OEM Bose sub: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61616&highlight=polk+audio+sub http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64800&highlight=polk+audio+sub

From these threads, you can see the great effort expended in getting great audio out of the NSX while preserving the OEM look and the passenger footwell components.

I am overly pleased with the performance of the NSX Sub II. The NSX Sub I has a resonance point near 100Hz. It is already a very good subwoofer product. The NSX Sub II is distinctly lower.. you can feel your clothing and skin vibrate and at louder passages your hair vibrates!! All of this is achieved with a very clear musical quality to the deep bass.

Questions.. email [email protected] or call c 9099968812. Here is a link to the pdf order form.. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47960&d=1226089237

Last edited:
Hi John,

I'm on vacation right now, but I received online notification that the package you sent is being held at the post office for me. I look forward to sharing my results.

I see that you were using an eclipse EA4000 amp. would you know if this happened to be a multichannel amp? Could I use my pioneer double din DVD head unit, with two aftermarket pioneer 6.25" speakers (and planning to have a center speaker installed as well), altogether using only this amp? I really don't want to have two amps in my car because space is valuable, and was hoping that this particular amp was a multi-channel amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan

Last edited:
Hi Frank,

John, hi. Will your sub box fit in the factory mounting locations? Thanks, Frank

Yes, the NSX Subwoofer Box II fits directly over the 3 factory mounting points (2 below and 1 above) for the OEM metal plate and OEM Bose subwoofer. The NSX Subwoofer Box II covers the electronic power steering unit with no need to remove any cables or brackets. The slope of the sub recreates the slope of the OEM aluminum plate. If you have any questions please call 909-996-8812 or email [email protected]. The NSX Subwoofer Box II with Blaupunkt speaker installed is available for $498 with free shipping and no tax for a limited time. Quantities are limited, order soon!!

Attached is a photo before the sub is mounted. You can see the 2 mounting brackets below and the third one above. The sub mounts over these points in a similar manner to the OEM aluminum plate and OEM Bose subwoofer.

John Sylora

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Hi John,

I'm on vacation right now, but I received online notification that the package you sent is being held at the post office for me. I look forward to sharing my results.

I see that you were using an eclipse EA4000 amp. would you know if this happened to be a multichannel amp? Could I use my pioneer double din DVD head unit, with two aftermarket pioneer 6.25" speakers (and planning to have a center speaker installed as well), altogether using only this amp? I really don't want to have two amps in my car because space is valuable, and was hoping that this particular amp was a multi-channel amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan

Hello Dan,

The Eclipse EA4000 amplifier is 75W RMS x 4 channel. The R and L door use 2 channels and the sub uses the 3/4 channels bridged producing mono output. You could power the small center speaker with the bridged 3/4 output, but it would not be ideal since you might set the crossover etc for the sub and not for the small center speaker. I have the center channel disconnected in my car. You could also power the center channel with the R or L channel too. Finally, you could use channel 3 for the sub and channel 4 for the small center speaker. But you would not get the larger bridged power for the sub.

Good luck with your system. Let us know how nice and big the bass sound is!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back