• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX ?

No A-VTEC.

The engine will not be based on the J-Series engine. The 3.5 L engine will be a DOHC i-VTEC (three-stage VTEC VCM) V6. Some of the unique features beyond cylinder deactivation will be independent throttle assemblies, laser clad welded valve seats (LCVS) and a significant weight reduction to major moving parts. This engine will then be coupled to an aggressive hybrid power train.

Weight Reduction to Major Moving Parts

Pistons - Forged, reduced thickness

Connecting Rods - Ti, DLC, Molybdenum treatment to conrod bolt and bolts without nuts

Crankshafts - Stress groove from Honda's F1 program

Interesting. I second WingZ- many thanks!

Interesting. I second WingZ- many thanks!

No problem, I've spent hours documenting rumors and have used reoccurring rumors and admitted details as data points to better understand the larger picture. Trade publications shine a lot of light on the development of the V10 super sports vehicle, and if the new vehicle utilizes any of the V10's noteworthy developments we can expect the engine listed in my previous post.

For those of you who think the new vehicle is going to be a mere shadow of the original, I think you're going to be surprised...

No problem, I've spent hours documenting rumors and have used reoccurring rumors and admitted details as data points to better understand the larger picture. Trade publications shine a lot of light on the development of the V10 super sports vehicle, and if the new vehicle utilizes any of the V10's noteworthy developments we can expect the engine listed in my previous post.

That's what I've been following as well but didn't hear/read anything on the SHAWD. The 3.5L rumor has been consistent as well but I've always ignored that since all the Acuras using a V6 have been using the 3.7 and didn't make sense. However brand new engine that would replace everything else now that makes sense.

For the record everything Acura has said the new car would use the tech from the HSV which keeps everything else from going to waste. The picture that seems to form is basically we get the HSV but as a hybrid V6. I say this because everything is there but the powertrain. Removing the V10 leaves plenty of space for the smaller V6 and IMA.

There should be plenty of room for a V6 with IMA, by forgoing this option.

[Image - Honda R&D Technical Review: October 2010 (B-HON-008)]

Last edited:
The sad part is that even if this new car does come out and is as good as we hope, there is no more Best Motoring to elevate it to legendary status like they did with the NSX-R. :frown:

Here's a side-view of the engine that never was.

[Image - Honda R&D Technical Review: October 2010 (B-HON-007)]

Technological details aside, lets measure progress by discussing performance expectations.

Will this "NSX successor" with a hybrid V6 generate 400 horsepower?
Can it get 40+ mpg?
Do those numbers look familiar?

Actually, Honda should better those numbers. These number were published by Honda with DN-X back in 2001. That's right, 10 years ago, Honda has been touting this.

Ten years later, we'll see if Honda has progressed, or regressed. Well, nevermind, we already know that answer.

Back