• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner of a 1995 NSX-T

I have just purchased a 1995 5sp with 70K that seemed to have been broken into, broken windows, some water damage on the interior. It has been sitting for 4 to 5 years. I am planning on draining all fluids , emptying the fuel, doing spark plugs, and put a little oil into the pistons. Should I open up the valve covers to lubricate the cams as well? Anything else I should look for or do before attempting to start it?

I have just purchased a 1995 5sp with 70K that seemed to have been broken into, broken windows, some water damage on the interior. It has been sitting for 4 to 5 years. I am planning on draining all fluids , emptying the fuel, doing spark plugs, and put a little oil into the pistons. Should I open up the valve covers to lubricate the cams as well? Anything else I should look for or do before attempting to start it?

What was the problem? Vandalized, flood, theft recovery, accident? What is your skill level?

the previous owner had little info, it actually looks like all of the above, my theory is that it was tried to be stolen since windows were broken and the key ignition was broken, then it was left like that by the owner's wife since the husband was in hospital from health issues. I could see a low water level from looking at the damaged carpet, mildew smell and seats in bad shape. Title is clean, has not been washed. I have been working on cars for a while. I have a supra that I replaced the heads, did timing belt, and installed a new clutch. I am comfortable taking things apart, and putting them back together. But the nsx is a new project and not messed with any before.

Start looking for door glass now. amayama.com is your friend.

You likely need a timing belt and that is the time to change out the coolant as you'll be replacing the water pump due to lack of use. The timing belt on the NSX is very difficult (but not as bad as an Audi S4). Strongly consider a timing belt guard. Consider a new harmonic balancer.

You may oil up the valve train as you need the valve covers off to replace the timing belt. It is a good time for new valve cover seals too. RockAuto.com has OEM's for a good price. You will need a collection of mirrors to do the timing belt and valve cover seals.

Changing coolant has to be done meticulously, or you can easily destroy your engine.

Strongly consider replacing the ~23 coolant hoses (not sure for your year). It is an 8 hour job. Strongly consider replacing the radiator as it is a wear item. Coolant loss on the NSX is catastrophic and hard to detect prior to severe damage.

When changing the coolant hoses, the oil filter pedestal has to be removed and coolant generally dumps into the oil pan.

You likely need an oil pan gasket, and this is the time to do it.

Start looking for door glass now. amayama.com is your friend.

You likely need a timing belt and that is the time to change out the coolant as you'll be replacing the water pump due to lack of use. The timing belt on the NSX is very difficult (but not as bad as an Audi S4). Strongly consider a timing belt guard. Consider a new harmonic balancer.

You may oil up the valve train as you need the valve covers off to replace the timing belt. It is a good time for new valve cover seals too. RockAuto.com has OEM's for a good price. You will need a collection of mirrors to do the timing belt and valve cover seals.

Changing coolant has to be done meticulously, or you can easily destroy your engine.

Strongly consider replacing the ~23 coolant hoses (not sure for your year). It is an 8 hour job. Strongly consider replacing the radiator as it is a wear item. Coolant loss on the NSX is catastrophic and hard to detect prior to severe damage.

When changing the coolant hoses, the oil filter pedestal has to be removed and coolant generally dumps into the oil pan.

You likely need an oil pan gasket, and this is the time to do it.

This is my first time hearing to drop oil pan when completely changing all the coolant lines. Can you elaborate more on this.

>This is my first time hearing to drop oil pan when completely changing all the coolant lines. Can you elaborate more on this.

Not what I was inferring. I was trying to give OP the order of maintenance to use the least amount of work and materials.

The oil pan gasket likely needs to be replaced: OP needs to verify. If it does require replacement and ...

If he is going to change out the coolant hoses, then do it before the oil gasket change.

The removal of the harmonic balancer, required for the timing belt change, may allow access into the oil pan for coolant. The oil filter pedestal has to be removed to change out the oil cooler hoses. There is a possibility of getting coolant into the oil pan, so do the oil afterward.

Last edited:
Get a genuine factory service manual. I feel confident that you are going to need it.

https://diyrepairmanuals.com/product-category/automotive/acura/nsx/1995-nsx/

If you search on Prime, you can find links to a free version .pdf version of the 1991 manual which is a definite second best option because it does not cover the targa roof.

If you go to Delray Acura or the other on-line parts vendors you can search the parts database for the 1995 to get the all important parts numbers.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/

The parts numbers will help if you go searching for used parts. You will likely find that body and trim parts for your 1995 may be unavailable from US dealerships. If you can't find used, [MENTION=5430]drew[/MENTION] mentioned Amayama.com and they are your best source for hard to find new parts. Amayama is based in Japan. Unfortunately, if you live in the USA they are not shipping by conventional mail to the USA because of reduced airfreight flights which makes the cost of getting parts from them an expensive option. For me, Amayama is still shipping to Canada using EMS and right now it is cheaper and faster to order NSX parts from Amayama in Japan than it is to order from US dealers. If you need parts that are not currently in supply in the US I would plan to wait out Covid 19 and order from Amayama in 6 to 12 months.

If the car has been sitting unused and exposed to the elements (broken windows) and shows signs of water damage and mildew I would give serious consideration to a an almost complete disassembly. With water damage there is so much potential for electrical problems and shorts and ...... Personally I would be reluctant to try starting the engine. As a minimum, I would be inclined to inspect remove the sparkplugs and inspect the cylinder walls. Rust would not be good for the rings if you tried turning the motor over..

I appreciate all the advice, I already started the complete tear down of the interior, and upon close inspection of the car, it seems the damage was mostly wet carpet from rain seeping in, dead mouse under the seat, and the odor is awful, I pressured washed the carpets and although it seems better I am still gonna scrub it some more. I thought the supra tax was high but man the nsx tax is actually higher :)
This is how it sat for years on fl weather
IMG_1351.jpg

Best of luck with the barn-find without the barn!

Cool. Good luck with the rebuild. Looks like a fun adventure. Sometimes you get lucky and find parts without the nsx tax. It just depends on the seller.
Another idea is to split on shipping if you order in bulk with your local nsx community.

The red and black theme reminds me of the one that is constantly listed on eBay. (except it has a red bumper)

cheers.

Back