• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner with some initial impressions

I'm a life long auto enthusiast and only in the last 7 years or so have been able to enjoy my dream cars. I tend to try something new every year or so, often with some overlap (more than one at once). Ownership and experience ranges from cheaper SVT products (which are excellent) to convertible McLarens and nearly everything in between. I became intrigued by the new NSX. It really did take a long time to get to market, the the result looked nice and the tech was unique. I lurked here for a while and watched reviews online. You could tell who was giving it an honest review and who was just repeating what others complained about. Most of the flack seemed unfair, so I took a chance and tried one. I live in West Texas and had never even seen a new NSX in person until last night LOL (that's how I do cars sometimes!)

Well, mine arrived to my little West Texas town on an enclose trailer last night just after dark. First impressions: the pearl white is spectacular, it looks lower and wider than expected (very exotic and more so from the rear than my 650s or 911 turbo), build quality appears to be good for the segment. Interior, while not perfect, is better than my 650s, but not as good as my brothers R8. My wife thought the interior was fantastic (her favorite so far). Infotainment is better than some in segment, worse than others and not a good as ford or chysler (or BMW or many others). I still give it a pass because I've experienced worse in more expensive cars. My raptor has adaptive headlights, adaptive cruise, air conditioned seats and many other things this car does not have, but again, in this segment these things are not always present. The electric only mode is really cool but could have been made more useful. Interior is very comfortable and i'm 6'6", 220#. I had never even seen a new NSX in person when I bought this car and had to go on my brother's recommendation that I would fit. He drove the car a year ago on a track and loved it (he currently has 2 McLarens and has had lambo and R8). My bother was very impressed with the style, comfort and handling. To 100, he thought it was fast, then after 100 a McLaren would torch it (I agree).

My 'new to me' car is a 17 with 5k miles. It came with a set of $12k HRE 101s (20 front, 21 rear) with P-zeros (325 on the rear), so I cannot speak to the appearance or handling of the stock configuration. I can say this setup is unbelievably attractive and I am glad someone else spent that money. I also cannot speak to the exhaust note as this car came equipped with full science of speed DP and valve delete exhaust... and thank goodness it did because it's still not that loud. It's about where I want it though. The car sounds good. Not like a lambo V12, but very acceptable with good tone (not sure what it quite sounds like) and intoxicating intake/turbo/blowoff sounds. Handling is top notch... you don't feel the weight at all. Road noise is good for segment (imagine better with conti's and smaller wheels). Off the line acceleration is up there with everything (991.2tt might be a little faster, but who can tell at sub 3 sec). I did not go much over 100, but feels about like an R8 or AMG GTS up there.

Things I'll have to fix? Not much. The chrome smile will be blacked out ASAP. My younger friend who saw it last night thinks the door handles should be blacked as well. IDK... they don't bother me. He still likes the Nissan GTR better, but agrees this is much more exotic and luxurious (he has a new respect for the NSX now, where there had been none before). I would love to tune it for 60 or 70 more hp, but not willing to give up warranty for that and it is fast already.

What I think Honda got right: styling, interior, taking a chance on hybrid tech, good clearance.. this car has scraped on nothing so far. Every sports car and super car I've ever had scrapes in my driveway and this one does not. No aftermarket lift for me

What I think Honda got wrong: I'm guessing exhaust sound as the aftermarket system is barely good enough, I'm guessing those shitty conti's it came with, low tech and cumbersome infotainment (sound quality is OK though and difficult to do in these cars). Took too long to market...killed the enthusiasm. Too heavy. Pricing! I'll give an opinion on pricing. My car had original sticker near 180K and now has 20k worth of wheels/tires/exhaust. On a looks only level, it competes at 200k IMO. Overall, I feel it competes somewhere between then AMG GTS and the Audi R8 and had it been priced there, the reviews/comments/opinions would have been completely different. When you price it with something like low end huricans and the 570gt, the reviewers will slaughter this car and they did.

In hindsight, this should have been a 580hp, engine only, RWD car that weighs 3300# or less with a front trunk and better interior tech/electronics priced around 130k, then topping 160s fully loaded. On the other hand, most of the beef this car has taken in the hands of online reviewers seems to be bullshit. The car is excellent and considering most people got their 17s and 18s 30-40k off puts it right where it should be. I thinks it's an excellent everyday supercar.

Will post pics later and sure to have more opinions as experience grows.

Last edited:
I'll get some better ones tomorrow. Its off getting the black 'nostrils' removed from the hood, the rear badge removed and the chrome smile blackened.

Attachments

• IMG_2337 (1).jpg
    IMG_2337 (1).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 453
I'll say it again, this car is low and wide, almost like an Aventador and I have yet to see a photo anywhere that does this justice. The car just looks more exotic than it is... a real neck breaker. I'm standing behind a wide body 991 yesterday trying to get the camera to show how much dramatically wider and lower this NSX is and just can't get the right shot?

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 454
....I'm standing behind a wide body 991 yesterday trying to get the camera to show how much dramatically wider and lower this NSX is and just can't get the right shot?

From your photo, I can see the difference. Perhaps it is more obvious in person. The sharper lines enhance the aggressiveness much better compared to the rounder softer looking 911.

I would keep the door handle as is. Changing it to black would make it stand out. Right now, it is more hidden. I rather draw attention to the side scoops.

Congrats on your new purchase. Thanks for the review and sharing your thoughts.

Black nostrils, chrome smile and rear emblem gone. I would normally like the debadged rear, the the back end also has a "beakiness" going on and it is much more noticeable with the emblem off. Having it there significantly blunts and softens that. So now I will have to decide between a matte titanium finish like the door handles vs black of some sort. I'm leaning toward the lighter color option....

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_2382.jpg
    IMG_2382.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 421
I'll say it again, this car is low and wide, almost like an Aventador and I have yet to see a photo anywhere that does this justice. The car just looks more exotic than it is... a real neck breaker. I'm standing behind a wide body 991 yesterday trying to get the camera to show how much dramatically wider and lower this NSX is and just can't get the right shot?

I think I recognize your handle from lurking on MacLife. I agree the car is really quick off the line, but the 570S pulls and pulls beyond it. 720 is a spaceship.

There is no photo that I have seen that conveys how bonkers the car looks from the front. It is Aventador wide. MIght be the 'taller' back end that minimizes the width. It's also a really short car.

Mine is matte black with emblems removed and tint. I thought that would make it more subtle. opposite effect....

Yes, I’m on mlife and several other pages. I ordered an orange 720s from Dallas but Chris left right before it was ordered and communication got sketchy after that. Anyway, long story short, they called out of the blue after no communication for months to tell me the car was in and it was about 2 weeks after I had bought a new plane and I wasn’t in the mood to spend another 350k on a car I never thought was very good looking despite its mind numbing performance. This seems to be the direction of mclaren is going. The senna and speedtail are hideous looking. The NSX is actually pretty and I’m liking it. The frantic acceleration of a mclaren above 100mph is something to behold...1000cc bikes couldn’t keep up w my 650s lol.

Last edited:
To "blacken" the chrome in the front, did you use vinyl wrap? Mind sharing what that cost?

To remove the emblem, isn't that simply a hair dryer and slight pressure? Anyone else removed the emblem?

To "blacken" the chrome in the front, did you use vinyl wrap? Mind sharing what that cost?

To remove the emblem, isn't that simply a hair dryer and slight pressure? Anyone else removed the emblem?

You don't need to remove the emblem. I taped it off and put on about ten coats of black PlastiDip. It was easy remove the overspray inside the emblem. The car looks so much better with blacked out emblems.

You don't need to remove the emblem. I taped it off and put on about ten coats of black PlastiDip. It was easy remove the overspray inside the emblem. The car looks so much better with blacked out emblems.

I went a little different direction... will have to see how it's received

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 344
IDK, as much as I want to blunt the beak, the bare ass look might be better?

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 343
IDK, as much as I want to blunt the beak, the bare ass look might be better?

Black or bare will be better... black offsets the lower fascia IMHO. Thats what I did as you saw. Dont forget to powder coat that chrome exhaust piece too.

Heck you can plasti dip it and it will withstand all the heat and elements for 50 bucks LOL.

Black or bare will be better... black offsets the lower fascia IMHO. Thats what I did as you saw. Dont forget to powder coat that chrome exhaust piece too.

Heck you can plasti dip it and it will withstand all the heat and elements for 50 bucks LOL.

I wonder if that lower part is easy to get off. I'm not into blacking it all out though. I have pretty brushed aluminum HRE 101s and metallic finished door handles. I just don't want chrome. Might finish the exhaust surround in a brushed metal look (ie: sand paper it)

What beak?

what_beak.jpg

Congrats on the pick up.

You removed the black hood vents (nostrils)? So the hood just has open holes in it now?

Congrats on the pick up.

You removed the black hood vents (nostrils)? So the hood just has open holes in it now?

Not at all. If you look at the first set of pics, you will see the PO wrapped the painted part around the mesh gloss black. I thought it was hideous

I had never even seen a new NSX in person when I bought this car and had to go on my brother's recommendation that I would fit. He drove the car a year ago on a track and loved it (he currently has 2 McLarens and has had lambo and R8). My bother was very impressed with the style, comfort and handling. To 100, he thought it was fast, then after 100 a McLaren would torch it (I agree).

Thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts on the car! With regards to the above, the fact that the NSX electric motors shut down at about 120mph (essentially making it a 500hp car), doesn't help with it's top end. Hopefully, with the long-awaited tune this should be alleviated. Also, check out the videos of this car going up against the Huracan 580, GTR Nismo, and M5. It does exceptionally well.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts on the car! With regards to the above, the fact that the NSX electric motors shut down at about 120mph (essentially making it a 500hp car), doesn't help with it's top end. Hopefully, with the long-awaited tune this should be alleviated. Also, check out the videos of this car going up against the Huracan 580, GTR Nismo, and M5. It does exceptionally well.
It will compete well against those cars. Hurican w walk it after 100 and mclaren will make it look like a Prius. That said, I’m really liking mine. I need to hear a stock nsx because the science of speed system is fantastic. So many complaints about sound.

Where is the tune coming from? Acura approved? They need it! At 3800#, they need electric motors on until battery runs out at all speeds and 50-70 more reliable hp out of the petrol engine. Mclaren figured this out QUICKLY on the original 12c and immediately offered free tune that changed the car, it’s sales and perception of them as a serious modern supercar company.

Back