• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Phone...

I have had the original Motorola Android since it first came out. Its beat up and barely works. Any recommendations for a new phone?
My fiance is a macfag and wants me to get a 4s but I'm yet to be convinced. A buddy of mine works at a verizon store and is offering me 50 off the razr and whatever phone the beats by Dre come with making them $250 with a 2 year contract. He pleads that the 4g lte is worth staying android. What do you guys think?

i4s is a great phone, but I would wait for ip5.

Almost all the droids are the same, so pick the one with the screen size you like. Some are now ridiculously big like 4.65".

Lots of people also really like the new blackberries, but I would wait for the new qnx phones.

Sounds like android is probably your best bet.

Look into the galaxy S 2. I have the galaxy s from verizon and i like it. More then i thought i would. Ease of use come to mind. Android is my window imo.
But its all debatable. Mac vs window.. Etc..etc..

I have had the original Motorola Android since it first came out. Its beat up and barely works. Any recommendations for a new phone?
My fiance is a macfag and wants me to get a 4s but I'm yet to be convinced. A buddy of mine works at a verizon store and is offering me 50 off the razr and whatever phone the beats by Dre come with making them $250 with a 2 year contract. He pleads that the 4g lte is worth staying android. What do you guys think?

Once you try it for a while, I'm pretty sure you'll never look back.

That's what happened to me. I had the original razr for the longest time and I was reluctant to try the iPhone. I even received the 1st gen iPhone as a gift and left it on the shelf for a few months. I was having some issue with the razr and forced to open the box. I was surprised how easy and smooth to register it online and after using it for a while I really enjoy the convenience it brought me. I would recommend you buy a i4S than other "impostors".

I recently bought an iPhone 4s and a motorola droid razor . The 4g speed on the Verizon razor was 10x the speed of the iPhone 4s on AT&T (AT&T claims the best speed for iPhone 4s.) The 4.3 screen was nicer on the razor. The reolution was better on the 4s. The color initially looked better on the razor but you then realize its fake and over driven. Whites are blue and reds are bleeding red. The cameras are both 8megapizel but the iPhone takes a better picture and has a wider angle lense. The droid is neat and automatically put Facebook contacts in my phone directory. The droid has local pictures and nicely llomks to my Picassa and photobucket web accounts.
In the end the apple is way easier to use hower you use the phone the way apple wants you too. The droid is way less intuitive but you are free to use the phone the way you want to use it. The deciding factor for me was battery life. The droid razed on 4g would be dead with no talk time in 3-4 hours (just email running). My 4s will last 4 times as long. I inquired on this and they said put it in 3G mode. My reaction was to return the droid. For me if I couldn't have 4g then why deal with all the negatives after all I have unlimited data on the iPhone 4s and the droid only had 4gb. I though about getting the rezound 1.5ghz dual core processor and higher resolution screen then the iphone (the only one im aware of)but it is one the same os (gingerbread) as the razor. The new samsung galaxy nexus is one the newer ice cream sandwich os but only has a crappy 5mp camara and the reviews on the new os are mixed.

In the end I kept the iPhone 4s. It is a mature device that can be depended on and has a good battery. The droids screen was less readable in sunlight had battery issues and an awkward size. I guess my surprise was I was expecting the droid to be more mature then it is. To me they still seem to be figuring things out and have issues. With apple everything is optimized and works. Google needs to buy a cell hardware company and have a more tightly integrated and optimized option

IGoogle needs to buy a cell hardware company and have a more tightly integrated and optimized option

You know Google bought Motorolla Mobility right? My guess is to be able to do exactly what you suggest. They have to same problem as PC's, anyone can slop together half ass components and sell a droid phone these days.

Right now I'm debating between the Razr and the 4s. I really like the turn by turn nav with the android phones. Such a hard decision.

Right now I'm debating between the Razr and the 4s. I really like the turn by turn nav with the android phones. Such a hard decision.

If you're one with the Jobsverse, get the iPhone 4s. Do your research on the Razr -- from what I've read, it's not that great. There are better Android phones.

I am in the same boat...I have an old phone I need to replace.

I currently have the LG Envy 3.. It is very annoying when I look at the screen and notice it has turned itself off. I want to upgrade but do not want to spend money on a data package. Right now I have just texting with Verizon but no internet. I don't really need internet on my phone, my wife has the Iphone 4.

Sometimes I pride myself on having the oldest phone, computer, and laptop in my family. I take such good care of my stuff that it usually outlasts its usefullness.

I am in the same boat...I have an old phone I need to replace.

I currently have the LG Envy 3.. It is very annoying when I look at the screen and notice it has turned itself off. I want to upgrade but do not want to spend money on a data package. Right now I have just texting with Verizon but no internet. I don't really need internet on my phone, my wife has the Iphone 4.

Sometimes I pride myself on having the oldest phone, computer, and laptop in my family. I take such good care of my stuff that it usually outlasts its usefullness.

Think about you can check stock quotes and getting the latest financial news on the go, or be able to do those when you're waiting for your wife testing out those new dresses in the mall :smile:

I have the Droid Razr. From my personal experience battery life at first seemed bad. 2 week later I disagree with myself. I tweaked the settings a bit like turned backlight down (I believe this is what really kills your battery). I set the auto-backlight off from 1 min down to 30 sec. I now instictively lock the phone everytime I put it down, to minimize the time my screen is on. I now have gotten the battery to last well past a day, it's 7PM at the moment and I'm only at around 70%. That's about 30% every 12 hours. If you are on the phone every minute of course the battery will drain fast but if you use it as any other regular phone it does last longer. I estimate 2 full days on one charge if I just use it like a regular cell phone which isn't much worse then my older basic phone (3 days). I'll test it out this weekend. I'll leave the phone unplugged for the weekend and let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
I have the Droid Razr. From my personal experience battery life at first seemed bad. 2 week later I disagree with myself. I tweaked the settings a bit like turned backlight down (I believe this is what really kills your battery). I set the auto-backlight off from 1 min down to 30 sec.

The other big battery suck is the wi-fi. Turn that off when you don't need it, and you'll get another big jump in battery life.

Oh, and one more thing -- the "stock" battery that comes with most phones sucks. Mod it up with a performance battery like one from Seidio and you can easily get two days of normal use out of the phone.

The 4S is real nice. It's solid and a quality build. Glass that you can use your car keys on and it won't scratch. Very fast processor. Great interface and a ZILLION apps.

SIRI it the voice activated assistant that is really slick. Works better than I thought it would and will probably improve greatly as time goes on. I got a white 32 gig. IMO everything else is just a wannabe.

Like their tag line says...

"If you don't have an iphone...you don't have an iphone....."

pretty much sums it all up....:smile:

hint: go with the iphone...

Well I ended up going with the Droid Motorola Razr. So far its good but as many said the battery life is sub-par. I have tweaked the settings a bit and hopefully it improves. I will let you guys know after a little more use how I rate it.

Well I ended up going with the Droid Motorola Razr. So far its good but as many said the battery life is sub-par. I have tweaked the settings a bit and hopefully it improves. I will let you guys know after a little more use how I rate it.

Out of curiosity, what were the deciding factors that influenced your decision on the Razr?

Honestly I went to the store a third time and played with both phones. I felt they were evenly matched but I wanted to try them out thoroughly. The one thing that really had me interested in the 4s was the siri. After playing with it in the store and realizing it has a long way to come I backed off and went with the os I already know.

Your choice should be Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4s.

The Droid Razr has several disadvantages: pentile screen pixelation, non-removable battery (and poor battery life), Moto Firmware/software, locked bootloader (if you customize).

The Nexus will come with Android 4.0 ICS, and even though other phones will be updated to it, the Nexus is the only phone that can take full advantage of the soft keys. It should also be the first phone to receive updates later down the line, whereas the Razr, Rezound, etc. will take months after release due to having to make it compatible with BLUR/Sense.

If you don't need 4G, Nav turn-by-turn, a removable battery, etc. then the choice is the iphone. The iphone is the best phone out of the box. Android only gets good when you flash ROMs/customizations. If you don't like doing that to fix Android's shortcomings (lag, etc.) then I would recommend the iphone.

Also, the iphone 4s will have a better camera than the Nexus, so if you use a phone for your pics and care about better quality, then take that into consideration.

Personally, I am going to get a Nexus when it comes out (this month) and then switch back to iphone when it gets 4G.

*The Nexus also comes with a pentile screen, but its high res (720p) resolves any pixelation problems inherent in the Razr.

If its a new phone, dont u have 30 days to try and return if u dont like it?
Xda-developers.com
Lots of info on there.

Is there a swype equivalent for the iphone? I've lost some typing speed going from a blackberry to an android phone with swype, but I can't imagine pecking out every word on an iphone. What do iphone users do when they need to type out a long email - wait until they get in front of a computer?

With the iPhone 4s you have a microphone icon on the keyboard and so at any point you can talk and the phone will type for you. It is incredibly accurate and allows you to create detailed emails quickly

Back