• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new shifter 1st to 2nd grind

On my 2001 with 350 miles on the clock, the shifter is a little notchy. What bugs me must is the 1st to 2nd shift. I get some slight gear grind like the syncros are weak. Other shifts are not a problem, nor is going back into 2nd from 3rd. Do you believe this will improve when the car breaks in a bit, or should i bring this to the attention of my dealer?

Thanks all

my '00 did that when it had <5k miles and it was cold... problem eventually went away on its own.

hal

Even Porsches 99+ 911(996) do that in cold weather. I don't think that it's a problem soley for NSX.

This is becoming the #1 complaint on the S2000 and RSX boards... My theory is that the transmission needs to warm up before the synchros can work properly. Some folks will rush the shifts on a cold transmission which then ruins the synchros - making it a permanent problem.

I get around it by making sure I rev match the upshift when the transmission is cold - sometimes, just double clutching and sometimes, just skipping 2nd altogether.

Car now has 9500 miles and it still grinds a bit when cold, and it doesn't do it all the time. After about 7 miles it goes away.

Do you think I should make an issue of it while still under warantee, or is it just the nature of the beast?

Can switching to a different transmission lubricant help?

Mike, is the problem clearly documented with your Acura dealer? I would think they would be happy to agree to forego transmission work now on the basis that it needs to clear up by a certain date / mileage. But it all needs to be in writing with someone of authority to conduct the work outside the normal warranty period (ie. regional warranty manager).

I have experienced mild notichness but I don't believe grinding is a common problem, and I would seek a repair before warranty expires. The three possible problems I see are:

1) Synchro
2) The 1-2 shift fork
3) Metal in the fluid

you could try GM sychromesh it's like syrup for your tranny but it seems to work for a lot of honda trannies that get 5th gear grind. Even if you get it fixed under warranty there is a high likelyhod it wil still come back because you put another honda 1st to 2nd synchro in there

btw honda synchros are notoriously bad in specific gears for different runs of cars as mentioned...RSX, S2000, Prelude

My 97 used to do that when cold and I found if I row through the gears a couple of times before I start driving it does not grind.

HTH

watch out for the FN

This has been widely discussed, my 2002 bought 13 months ago has the same problem. I discussed with the Acura tech, and he properly told me that when cold, it's a common complaint, that when fully warmed up, wouldn't be a problem. I hate that feeling/sound of 1-2 when it's cold, but when it warms up, it's like butter, smooth and silent. Drive and shift with care when it's not warmed up, rip it and enjoy when it's at full operating temps, and enjoy. I can't wait for the weather to change, we're expecting 3-5 inches today-yech

Re: watch out for the FN

RPM217 said:
This has been widely discussed, my 2002 bought 13 months ago has the same problem. I discussed with the Acura tech, and he properly told me that when cold, it's a common complaint, that when fully warmed up, wouldn't be a problem. I hate that feeling/sound of 1-2 when it's cold, but when it warms up, it's like butter, smooth and silent. Drive and shift with care when it's not warmed up, rip it and enjoy when it's at full operating temps, and enjoy. I can't wait for the weather to change, we're expecting 3-5 inches today-yech

Yes, that is exactly how mine is. After it's warm it shifts great. I will mention it to the dealer to make sure its documented, but I'm not going to make an issue of it because it seems to be the nature of the beast.

Did I read somewhere that going to synthetic trans oil helps?

I had the same problem on my S2000....people say it would shift better when warmed up. They weren't exagerating....I could drive normally for 15 minutes, have the temp. gauge reading normal and it would still grind. The trick is to vtec it for a while, or atleast give the gears a work out at higher rpms. This will warm up the box better. After driving the car in the higher rpms for a bout 15 seconds, the tranny shifts like butter.

"What? I must redline it?.....oh well, I guess I have no choice but to do so....":cool:

My 99 has the same issue with 1st and 2nd notchiness when cold. The Acura tech told me that it was ok and wouldn’t do anything. When it was time to replace the transmission fluid, I used Amsoil SAE 10W-30 (100% synthetic). The notchiness is still present when cold but it made a different when the transmission is warmed up.

Funny but I had my car in the dealership yesterday for the same issue but mine is on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd. It is very notchy (and sometimes hard to find 2nd without some hunting), even after the car warms up but the chief mechanic told me that nearly all of the NSX's he has worked on have the same issue on that particular downshift.

Most of the notchy feeling on upshifts goes away after the car warms up, however. I just got my NSX and talked about the same issue on the new owners forum but the fascinating thing to me is that my BMW M5, which is not known for it's shifting, is a better shifter in my view than the NSX. It is much smoother and easier to engage the gears. The NSX is a much more fun car, however.

Ron

ImolaRon said:
Funny but I had my car in the dealership yesterday for the same issue but mine is on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd. It is very notchy (and sometimes hard to find 2nd without some hunting), even after the car warms up but the chief mechanic told me that nearly all of the NSX's he has worked on have the same issue on that particular downshift...

On these points I strongly disagree. Once the tranny warms up there should be no problem with the 3-2 downshift. "Notchy" is a vague term. There should be a feeling of positive engagement but it should not grind or be difficult find the gate. Perhaps you tech works on abused cars or doesn't know how to shift.

Even when very cold, I don't have any problem with downshifts. The only one that is difficult is 2nd to 1st unless your going slow.

The reason that 2nd gear is notchy and even grinds when cold is that the syncho for that gears is a "double cone" type. They do this because 2nd is always the most abused synchro and almost always wears out first. The double cone design can handle a wider speed differential faster if forced but at the expense of feeling heavier. One side effect seems to be the problems when cold, but that is quite normal and does not indicate bad synchros.

I believe that the 6-spd uses double cones on 3rd as well so it may also feel a bit notchy when cold. Somewhere in the back of my mind is also the idea that they even when to triple cones on 2nd making the 6-spd even more prone to cold problems, but that sounds wrong even to me.

In any case, mikec, it is always possible that your car does have a problem of some kind, but if it shifts smoothly after it warms up then I would bet not. Anyone with these symptoms even when warm probably have synchro or other problems.

As for how long it takes to warm up, even here when temps drop to zero F it never took more than a couple minutes and was fine well before the engine was warm enough to run it hard.

My 1993 did the same thing when cold, and now my 2004 also does it.

ImolaRon[/i] [B]I had my car in the dealership yesterday for the same issue but mine is on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd. It is very notchy (and sometimes hard to find 2nd without some hunting) said:
On these points I strongly disagree. Once the tranny warms up there should be no problem with the 3-2 downshift. "Notchy" is a vague term. There should be a feeling of positive engagement but it should not grind or be difficult find the gate.
I agree with sjs.

sjs said:
Perhaps you tech works on abused cars or doesn't know how to shift.
Another possibility is that he is not matching revs very accurately, which can make it difficult to find the gate. Which could be interpreted as not knowing how to shift, but could also be interpreted as knowing how to shift, but not paying close enough attention to match revs accurately for the NSX (which may do so at a different point in the revband from other cars).

I made this experience:

After I bought my NSX in 1992 I have had the same problems.
And I'm a carefull driver (the first 20 kilometers)
But not only shifting from 1th into 2nd gear, also shifting from 4th into 5 th gear was problematical without gearbox temperatures.

1th inspection after 500 km, I changed the motoroil:
Castrol RS 10W60.
But not the gearbox fluid !

About 1 year later, I asked an Castrol Motorsport engineer at the track, what I can do for fixing that problem.
He told me that I have to put the same motoroil
(yes, its Castrol RS 10W60 too) into the gearbox.

I did it adn since this time all specific problems are gone.
And the NSX still runs great, since after nearly 12 years.
Also at the track.

But I dont know if this 'golden' fluid is available in USA.

Procar Specials said:
1th inspection after 500 km, I changed the motoroil:
Castrol RS 10W60.

Any reason for using 10W-60 instead of the Honda recommended 10W-30?

Last edited:
My 1995 was harder to shift into 2nd on cold mornings before it warmed up. It's back to normal now that the weather's been warmer.

It did do a little better when I went to Mobil 1 10W-30 in the transmission (the previous owner lived in a warmer climate and had used slightly heavier oil).

Changing the transmission oil yourself is easy, and there are good instructions available online.

Back