• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New windows for my home..............FLOORED by the price!

I call myself a responsible home owner and try to keep my home in tip top shape. I have been wanting new windows in the home since i bought it in 2009. Our home is 11 years old and these "Alenco" windows suck in the summer months and winter months, and we hear lots of the outside noises. I called a few companies for quotes so i could get educated on windows and, Renewal By Andersen came first and QUICK i might add. The salesman was nice and he seemed knowledgeable and interested in making me and my wife happy with new windows, and the selling the raves of being energy efficient( you know they get you with that whole HOT light against your windows treatment).
I was prepared for an estimate of 16-25k depending on a few things i wanted to change on the back of the house. After 1.5 hours of "selling", he turned his laptop around for us to see the price............it was 59,000.00! So there goes the SOS 3.5L motor build and twin turbo setup with all the other bells and whistles.

I didn't sign and basically started watching youtube videos while he continued to sell my wife. After i checked back in and haggled, he was down to 39k. Now the windows were nice and the salesman was nice and i know they would look nice, but am i misinformed on what replacement windows cost??? I did go to the home show in Austin today and looked at Champion windows and Marvin windows and a SLEW of cheap ones. To me the Andersen ones seem to be the nicest but are they worth 39,000.00? They are charging basically 1800 a window and 95% of them are standard sized double hung windows.

Looking to hear from other sticker shocked people or others that have bought new windows lately for your home.

Last edited:
my inlaws just spent 35 grand. they went and got a few quotes and my FIL is probably the cheapest business owner i know. as a reference comparison their house is 4000 sq ft , non-corner lot (less windows and sometimes smaller windows then a corner lot), approx 50 windows

Last edited:
The fact that you got him down from $59,000 to $39,000 should speak volumes. Get a few more estimates before you take the plunge.

Anyone that can come down 33% on their original asking price is a thief to begin with. Home improvement salesman are brutal. I have been slowly replacing ours with Pellas which are a pretty good window. Marvin's are going to be expensive. I would suggest against spending the extra money on triple pane glass if that was an option they offered you...it is generally a big hike and fairly unnecessary. Good luck

Get some other quotes, from local contractors. I remember looking at carpet one time. Empire comes out right away, can do the job the next day etc. The cost comes in at like $20k, but with some discounts it comes down to around $15k. We go to a local carpet store, get mid-to-high end carpet installed for something around $5-6k.
Once you add up the material costs look at labor time for the job and see if it makes sense. $500 per day for each person,including overhead insurance etc. Is what I figure is reasonable, it not generous for labor. Everything above that is commission.
Miner

For double hung windows? Are you shitting me? DON'T DO IT! I can gat double hung windows for less than one hundred dollars each and the key word here is depending. But no more than 400 each for custom size orders under 99 united inches. Anderson windows or pella windows probably 500-700 each. Sliding glass doors, no side lights, a grand. Installation, a monkey could install a window easily. You could do it yourself and probably a better job than someone who is at your house for one day. I know handfuls of people who have had companies charge them big bucks for window replacements. My brother in laws parents are still making payments on their 30k window replacement job that was done ten years ago. Low E IMO is a rip off, you'll never get your money back. Same to be said for triple glass. What exactly are you being sold here.

Windows can be expensive, but were talking high end windows in multi million dollar homes. A friend of mine called me a few years back to help him with a spec house he was building. There was a window being installed along a stair well that was three feet wide and thirty feet tall. That window was near 30k and its a good thing he insured it because he broke it during installation.

How many windows are in your house? What exactly are you wanting to replace them with. Why do you feel they need replacement. They are only 11 years old? If you were to spend the 39k would it add at least that much to the value of your home? Are they also wrapping the opening? If so with what? What is the construction of your house, vinyl, stucco, wood etc?

The price you've been quoted seems like there's a large amount of profit built in to it. It's not like you have crazy heating costs or cooling cost for that matter which you will recover unless you are going to live longer than methuselah.

Edit.. To really check the efficiency of your widow opening you need to place a hood over the window which will check for draft, heat loss. Did they have use this piece of equipment when they came out?

Last edited:
knowledge is power....keep researching.Most manufacturers have two levels of windows standard and architectural.Often the standard is fine and significantly cheaper.Windows are like mattress.There are more brands than there are actual constructors meaning if you can find a cheaper alternative generic brand the quality might still be comparable to the brands names.

knowledge is power....keep researching.Most manufacturers have two levels of windows standard and architectural.Often the standard is fine and significantly cheaper.Windows are like mattress.There are more brands than there are actual constructors meaning if you can find a cheaper alternative generic brand the quality might still be comparable to the brands names.

Exactly. Just because a product is more expensive does not mean its better. All you get for your money is bragging rights.

If he's looking for a unique window then he's most likely going to be forced into spending more for a certain look but will gain nothing in performance. Unfortunately there are few inexpensive window manufacturers who will make custom styles, sizes yes, but not something like wood on the inside, aluminum clad on the outside.

There is a company here that buys all the windows which are ordered but never picked up by the customer. If I need windows I go there and buy them, and they are cheap. I just purchased a 36x84 with grid between the glass, 2x6 depth double hung for 70 bucks. Renee helped me install it in about less than a half an hour on one of the rentals. Rip the old one out, stick the new one in, fill the gaps, tack the trim back on. Very easy to install.

For what its worth, i felt like the windows were cream of the crop, from latches to the way that top and bottom windows open in for cleaning. From what i saw at the home show i can live with the Champion or Marvin windows, which were cheaper but looked like a little LESS quality. I noticed my neighbor across the street just bought some so we talked. He has a ranch that's smaller than mine. He bought 7 windows and paid 15K from andersen windows. We both commented on how nice they were for insulating and sound purposes but damn they are expensive(in my mind).

Watch these and see if your inspired!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3Ptj0cdQ8b0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tZQz34nlDX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
So I called my distributor. These are all rough openings. I just used a random size because I don't know the sizes you need.
Anderson 200 series window are 257.00 each for a 37x527/8.
Anderson 400 series window are 317.00 each for a 37x52 7/8.
Anderson A series windows are 516.00 each for a 32x52.

These are all low E argon, vinyl clad, true screen adds 80 a window. Extensions jams are also a minimal up charge. Pine in vinyl out. So unless you have 50 windows in your house the price you've been quoted is too high.

If you gave me actual opening sizes I could get you exact pricing. The prices above are shelf prices and do not include any discounts that I always get, usually at least 20% off shelf price and sometimes 50% depending on the size of the order.

So I called my distributor. These are all rough openings. I just used a random size because I don't know the sizes you need.
Anderson 200 series window are 257.00 each for a 37x527/8.
Anderson 400 series window are 317.00 each for a 37x52 7/8.
Anderson A series windows are 516.00 each for a 32x52.

These are all low E argon, vinyl clad, true screen adds 80 a window. Extensions jams are also a minimal up charge. Pine in vinyl out. So unless you have 50 windows in your house the price you've been quoted is too high.

If you gave me actual opening sizes I could get you exact pricing. The prices above are shelf prices and do not include any discounts that I always get, usually at least 20% off shelf price and sometimes 50% depending on the size of the order.

1. 46"w X 58"h 1 this size
2. 106"w X 70"h 1 this size
3. 34 1/4"(w) X 70"(h) 5 in this size
4. 16"(w) X 70"(h) 10 in this size
5. 70"(w) X 58"(h) 5 this size

All the sizes are opening sizes. The bigger windows i decided i could get on big window or a casement window instead of getting 3 individuals or 2 like the upper living area and the lower LR window for example.

Here are a few pics of the house, not sure what to do about the one over the front door.

- - - Updated - - -

Then all Kelley needs would be installation. Shouldn't be too hard to find in Austin.

Im hoping thats the case. Im not a cheap guy, but i decied in 2014 that i needed to spend the extra effort to get as much info as possible instead of being, "SOLD". Not taking anything away form the saleman making a commission but to come down 20k makes me feel like i am getting DRY f***ed!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys for all the replies, i dont feel i was geting ripped off, just feel i should have done more homework and thats what im doing!!

Last edited:
This is before tax and discounts, like I said I can get very good discounts as I buy quite a bit of stuff from these guys. The prices in the quote are for joe blow walking in off the street. If you're serious, I can start working them for a final price. I'm sure you can get an installer for way less than half the 15k savings you'd have going this route. Also check into tax rebates for energy efficient home upgrades. I believe these are the best windows Anderson makes with the exception of the historical rehab windows.
Line #
Item Summary
Price
Qty
Total Price
100-1
A Series Double-Hung Equal Sash , AA , 15.25 x 69.25 , Sandtone - Sandtone / Pine Unfinished
$672.71
$6,727.10
100-2
Insect Screen 1: A Series Double-Hung 15.25 x 69.25 Full Screen Aluminum Sandtone
$41.72
$417.20
200-1
A Series Double-Hung Equal Sash , AA , 45.25 x 57.25 , Sandtone - Sandtone / Pine Unfinished
$903.38
$903.38
200-2
Insect Screen 1: A Series Double-Hung 45.25 x 57.25 Full Screen Aluminum Sandtone
$50.55
$50.55
300-1
A Series Double-Hung Equal Sash , AA , 33.5 x 69.25 , Sandtone - Sandtone / Pine Unfinished
$904.30
$4,521.50
300-2
Insect Screen 1: A Series Double-Hung 33.5 x 69.25 Full Screen Aluminum Sandtone
$50.73
$253.65
400-1
A Series Double-Hung Equal Sash , Active (All) AA , 69.25 x 57.25 , Sandtone - Sandtone / Pine Unfinished
$1,598.78
$7,993.90
400-2
Insect Screen 1: A Series Double-Hung 69.25 x 57.25 Full Screen Aluminum Sandtone
$45.12
$225.60
400-3
Insect Screen 1: A Series Double-Hung 69.25 x 57.25 Full Screen Aluminum Sandtone
$45.12
$225.60
500-1
A Series Double-Hung Equal Sash , Active (All) AA , 105 x 69.25 , Sandtone - Sandtone / Pine Unfinished
$2,671.99
$2,671.99
500-2
Insect Screen 1: A Series Double-Hung 105 x 69.25 Full Screen Aluminum Sandtone
$51.19
$51.19
500-3
$51.19
$51.19
500-4
$51.19
$51.19
Pretax Total Price:
$24,144.04

The particulars
400-1
A-Series Double Hung 69.25 x 57.25 5 Standard Width = Custom
Standard Height = Custom
Width = 34.25
Height = 57.25
Frame Option = Standard Flange
Frame Depth = 4 9/16"
Combination Operation / Venting = Active (All)
Venting / Handing = AA
Exterior Color = Sandtone
Exterior Sash/Panel Color = Sandtone
Interior Species = Pine
Interior Finish Color = Unfinished
Glass Option = Low-E4
High Altitude Breather Tubes = No
Glass Strength = Standard
Glass Tint = No Tint
Specialty Glass = None
Hardware = None
Hardware Style = Traditional
Lock Hardware Style = Traditional
Number of Sash Locks = 1
Lock Hardware Color = Satin Nickel
Finelight Grilles-Between-the-Glass
Specified Equal Light
Grille Pattern = Specified Equal Light
Grille Bar Width = 3/4"
Exterior Grille Color = Sandtone
Interior Grille Color = Prairie Grass
3W3H
Insect Screen Type = Full Screen
Insect Screen Material = Aluminum
Insect Screen Color = Sandtone
Extension Jamb Type = None
Stool Option = None
Room Location = None
U-Factor = 0.29
SHGC = 0.27

One more update.... Looks like the truscreen adds 135 per unit, but subtract the standard screen cost of ~50 Not sure if that an option you want

At least now you have the low down and can maybe negotiate a much better price from the people you are working with. No more than I'd say 7500 for the install and that's leaving a lot of room for their profit. If they are any good at what they do and I'm sure they are this job should take no more than two days with lots of breaks for coffee. The last full house I did took five hours for 24 windows to be removed and replaced, but I don't get paid by the hour so I don't take breaks until the job is done.

Last edited:
Update

they are now down to 26k for just windows and 35k if i want the downstairs living room windows converting to a sliding french door.

Im seeing prices of 3-500 per window versus the 1250.00 per window they are charging. Looking and at Andersen 200 windows.

I also am considering window tint and the company below to deal with condensation issues
http://theglassguruofaustin.com/

Update

they are now down to 26k for just windows and 35k if i want the downstairs living room windows converting to a sliding french door.

Im seeing prices of 3-500 per window versus the 1250.00 per window they are charging. Looking and at Andersen 200 windows.

I also am considering window tint and the company below to deal with condensation issues
http://theglassguruofaustin.com/

Not sure i understand... So they came down in price but also reduced the quality of the window from the a series to the 200 series? If not and its 26k for the A series then that's sounds like a good deal. If its 26k for the 200 series, bad deal because we know those windows would be less than 10 grand probably.

Not sure I understand.......when you catch someone trying to rip you off, why you are still even talking to them?!?!
Home Improvement Contractors are plentiful no matter where you live.....just sayin.

Not sure I understand.......when you catch someone trying to rip you off, why you are still even talking to them?!?!
Home Improvement Contractors are plentiful no matter where you live.....just sayin.

I just want to see how low he goes. I have scheduled other " consultations" for more info. Steveny gave me some very helpful info and I've made a decision on which way I'll go, which probably won't be with any of the guys giving consultations.

I just want to see how low he goes. I have scheduled other " consultations" for more info. Steveny gave me some very helpful info and I've made a decision on which way I'll go, which probably won't be with any of the guys giving consultations.

The 200 series windows while a good product are far from the a series windows. I also am surprised they quoted you for the 200 series as from the information I have they do not make a 200 series window with a width less than 22 inches. I'm unsure how they'd get you the 16's you need in the 200 series.

If you need any further assistance just shoot me a pm. I just want to see you get a fair deal.

As far as the glass doors go it doesn't take 9 grand to rent a demo saw, assuming its a brick wall, cut the brick out and stick a set of door where the window now is. Because there is a window there now you already have a lentil on the top and king, jack studs on the sides so the support is already present. It's just a matter of removing the bottom portion and attaching the door. Less than a days work so not worth anywhere near 9 large. Even less work if you are going to wrap the opening before the door goes in because there would be no brick work. If you want exposed brick on the return of the opening it'll be a little more effort, but not a lot more.

Kelly,

hey I got friend that owns a window install company that will prolly beat any price. He can get any window you want and prolly have you fixed up at just little labor cost. please give him a call and you can go over details with him. He's located in the dfw area but he'll go to Austin to get you fixed up. Real honest guy.

A Plus Energy
Ken Stevenson

Let me know if you have any problems contacting him.

Eric

The 200 series windows while a good product are far from the a series windows. I also am surprised they quoted you for the 200 series as from the information I have they do not make a 200 series window with a width less than 22 inches. I'm unsure how they'd get you the 16's you need in the 200 series.

If you need any further assistance just shoot me a pm. I just want to see you get a fair deal.

As far as the glass doors go it doesn't take 9 grand to rent a demo saw, assuming its a brick wall, cut the brick out and stick a set of door where the window now is. Because there is a window there now you already have a lentil on the top and king, jack studs on the sides so the support is already present. It's just a matter of removing the bottom portion and attaching the door. Less than a days work so not worth anywhere near 9 large. Even less work if you are going to wrap the opening before the door goes in because there would be no brick work. If you want exposed brick on the return of the opening it'll be a little more effort, but not a lot more.

Looks like I will have to talk to you before I replace the windows in my house. I bought my "new" home this past summer...that said it was built in 1950 and in a historic district, meaning the windows suck, you can feel the cold outside when you are next to them. Some of them are corner windows so I am assuming these are custom and expensive. I also believe based on the design they are structural to the house, so not sure how much that would be as a cost adder. Anyway as of right now will have to live with it as I am working on other things that need updateing right now..$$$ That said this has been an interesting thread, one of the reasons I like Prime.

Back