• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Next-Gen NSX Info!! [mag article]

In my book, a turbo would be just fine for me. Out of the box performance would be great and the tuner potential would what many of us have dreamed of.

3.5L V6 turbo. Oh yes.

I agree. Let Honda show the 911TT whats up!!

I would imagine the performance should be on par with the 911TT with a 3.5 T.
WOW!

i'm glad some nsxers here agree that NA is the way to go.

honda has surprised the auto world with so many breakthroughs......if the S2000 can give 120hp/liter, why can't
a new 3.5liter engine give 400hp???

a 9000 redline would be nice also.:) a little more music to our ears.

Blue Knight said:
i'm glad some nsxers here agree that NA is the way to go.

honda has surprised the auto world with so many breakthroughs......if the S2000 can give 120hp/liter, why can't
a new 3.5liter engine give 400hp???

a 9000 redline would be nice also.:) a little more music to our ears.

I agree with that. NA 400HP would rock. That would be the hard way to go. The easy way is take the 3.5L which is going to be in the new RL and slap a turbo on.

As far as a 9000RPM redline, I already have to break all speedlimits to hear 8000 RPM in 2nd... I have no desire for a 9000 RPM redline..

In fact, honda is lowering the S2000 redline next year in the S2200.

yes.. the new '04 s2200 will have 8500rpm or 8800rpm.. no exact figure has been released..

a high screaming v6 ? would remind me of my mr2 turbo.. cause for headache having alll that behind my ears :D

For all of you that want Honda to make a car like 500-800 hp supras and rx-7s,remember ,that is you and I (the aftermarket)doing that ,not the manuf. who needs to worry about warrenty,reliability and saftey for the average Joe.Also do you think the nsx turbo would look good with an intercooler/oil cooler on a Whale tail spoiler ala porsche?think about the reality of whats needed and realize that NA is more practical for a design like nsx.There is a reason why turbo/supercharged oem cars in the average price range have conservative boost/hp ratings.Talk to some of the folks who have designed turbos for these cars,and you find that proper ventilation and cooling are a real challenge with the current drivetrain.

It will need more then 400 hp to stay on top for a while. 400 hp will barly compeat with some of the cars out today.

The car needs to be reliable. I doubt it will be a high strung V6 redlining at 9k, although it would be nice. (Don't forget acuras goal in making the car extreamly reliable)

I myself wanted the S2000 for a while, but I have herd of SO many engine problems going on, and the life of the motor is not estimated to be very high at all. ( I know its a high strung 4, but 400 hp, NA or even turbo, from a 3.5L V6 redlining at 9k is pretty high strung as well)

I still vote for the NA 180 degree 8 cylinder. Although I don't see high hp figures coming from honda, I think it needs to have at least 450-500 hp to stay on top for a while. 400 hp is more realistic but it just wont last.

I think that the straight 8 cyliner making big power will help keep its nice flat power band, don't see a high strung 6 keeping that power band.

Hey, just my .02

let's think for a minute....

honda has already proven several important factors for the success of the NSX.....

1. Reliability
2. Reliability
3. Reliability
4. Reliability
5. Reliability

did i just repeat myself? of course...because that's the reality of the NSX over 13 years of production.

will honda design something to throw this factor out of whack? will a 200X turbocharged NSX be as reliable 13 years later?

i hope honda surprises us.....

Blue Knight said:
let's think for a minute....

honda has already proven several important factors for the success of the NSX.....

1. Reliability
2. Reliability
3. Reliability
4. Reliability
5. Reliability

did i just repeat myself? of course...because that's the reality of the NSX over 13 years of production.

will honda design something to throw this factor out of whack? will a 200X turbocharged NSX be as reliable 13 years later?
i hope honda surprises us.....

there are tonnes of turbo subarus all over asia and (rest of world) running fine for years and years and tonnes of mileage.

reliability has been fine for them.

i've pushed my wrx quite alot now for about 2 1/2 years now and it's been nothing but perfect for me.. (knocks on wood ;) )

a turbo motor can be just as reliable, so long as it is tuned and built correctly.

the only way the NSX can compete N/A is via a V8 and i can pretty sure they WILL not be going this route.

like someone already mentioned, they are going to try to take advantage of multi-development/use and take the 3.5L V6 and turbocharge it. they will use different versions of this engine (non-turbo'd) for a few other models, thereby spreading the expense and maximizing any possible returns. (though i do admit, the NSX was mostly a loss leader).

if you want the NSX to go NA and compete with a Modena,etc, you're talking $$$$. then it too will cost upwards/closer to a Modena...and have very little of the CACHET and NAME of the prancing horse.

the only way the NSX will be a success is via equal or superior PERFORMANCE with HONDA'S RELIABILITY, and at a SIGNIFICANTLY DISCOUNTED PRICE from the other exotics of FERRARI or PORSCHE.

otherwise you'll have just a trickle of sales..

like someone also mentioned, honda has another turbo road car, the city...tall, box like car...albeit it only makes like 65 hp or something like that...

there's no denying that making power from turbo engines is far cheaper and the gains far greater.

if the new NSX is N/A, i will keep my NSX and just supercharge it.
if the new NSX is a 3.5L Turbo, then i would definitely be in interested in a new one.

just my .02

"the only way the NSX can compete N/A is via a V8 and i can pretty sure they WILL not be going this route."

Hmmm, They have never introduced a FI car before. Id assume it will be a V8, but hey, we wont know until it hits the lots. Either of them will be great.

I am the opposite, I'd like the straight eight over the turbo six.
MMM 360 MODenA sound!

Guess it all comes down to opinions.

BITeR said:
Turbo F1 cars from the golden era of Honda had a 1,5 liter(!!) and peaked around 1400-1500 hp. (only for short time periods.)

Ban was in from the start of the 1989 season I believe.

Some say the most powerful Grand Prix engine of all time was the 1500cc BMW Turbo charged unit. The engine used by the Brabham team in the mid eighties developed over 1500 Horsepower in qualifying trim.

I believe of course Honda had the strongest engine ang therefore actually won races too.

BMW won the 1983 world championship with Nelson Piquet and the turbocharged four, so BMW "actually won" quite a few races with that engine.

if honda cannot afford the V8 route and want to go FI, i rather they just spend the $$$ on creating a new body or just give us the type R.

anyone could go out there and put on a FI system.....comptech certainly has proven its reliability.

if honda decides to slap on a FI system, i'm sure some people will be disappointed because what news is there for those that already run FI systems???

what would be the cheaper route for us? having honda put on a FI system or we do it ourselves???

Blue Knight said:

if honda decides to slap on a FI system, i'm sure some people will be disappointed because what news is there for those that already run FI systems???

The number of people that run FI is very few. I am sure that WIDE majority would appreciate the power boost.

Also, wouldn't you rather have a FI system that is completely covered under warranty for 4 years/50K miles and is reliable.... I know for a fact there are people on this site that would love this... I know I sure would.

Blue Knight said:
if honda cannot afford the V8 route and want to go FI, i rather they just spend the $$$ on creating a new body or just give us the type R.

anyone could go out there and put on a FI system.....comptech certainly has proven its reliability.

what would be the cheaper route for us? having honda put on a FI system or we do it ourselves???

I agree..

And I could deal with a 400 + hp inline 8 with that great sound until warrenty is up. THEN you have a turbo inline 8. (I doubt they would make it a v8, but more likley and inline 8)

Would a inline 8 really be that much cheaper then a turo 6? I mean I doubt all they would do is bore it out and stick a turbo on, there owuld be many other changes.

And again, the power curve...wouldnt it be much flatter wit the 8? More TQ, and I bet it would demand more respect with a 400 + hp inline 8 under there.

JsnNSX said:
Would a inline 8...

Inline 8! Would be a very long engine!!!

Very long crankshaft!!!

Not very common these days...

Forget the trunk because no way this engine will fit transversly...

unless you go for an inline 8 @ 1,5 Litre... à la Mazda with its small 1,8L V6...

I wouldn't disregard from Honda the V8 route because even though they didn't make it for the other Acura models, maybe they reserve its first introduction for the new NSX...

otherwise I think we will get a bigger V6 making more than 90,625 hp/Liter...

Say 3,8 L @ 110 hp/Liter hence giving ( no confusion please with thanksgiving... ) 418 hp!

cmb said:
a turbo motor can be just as reliable, so long as it is tuned and built correctly.

Not true. User maintenance is more important imho. A badly maintained FI engine will not last as much as a badly maintained NA engine. By "maintained" I also include proper shutdown of the engine, correct pump gas, allowing the car to heat up b4 using the turbo, etc...

cmb said:
the only way the NSX can compete N/A is via a V8 and i can pretty sure they WILL not be going this route.

I agree that there are not going the v8 route. But not necessarily with fewer cylinders either. Remember what the NSX was inspired from when they run in the 80s ? They might develop a similar engine this time, mounted longitudinaly... ;)

Blue Knight said:

Supra's have been doing fine for 10 years, and the only reason Rx7's are unreliable are because of the rotary design...

300ZX's seem okay...
VR4's as well.

:dunno:

well whenever and whatever the new one will have, hopefully it will beat out the 360 like in 91 when it beat the 348. But ive heard ferrari will be resdesigning the 360 again and then honda may be behind again.

well, honda may have modelled the NSX after the 348 but i don't think they use ferrari's spec as the reference point. they'll never be able to pull ahead of ferrari due to $$$ unless they start selling their supercar at $150k+

whatever the outcome may be, i'm sure we'll all be excited. it has been too long.......:)

Well if the new NSX is really gonna go after the 360 in a couple years then it will be preety special. The new Modena is 06 will have a v10 and be pushing 500hp so i hope the dont expect to have a NA v6, a turbo version would be great, just look at the performance of the 911T.

apapada said:
Not true. User maintenance is more important imho. A badly maintained FI engine will not last as much as a badly maintained NA engine. By "maintained" I also include proper shutdown of the engine, correct pump gas, allowing the car to heat up b4 using the turbo, etc...

I agree that there are not going the v8 route. But not necessarily with fewer cylinders either. Remember what the NSX was inspired from when they run in the 80s ? They might develop a similar engine this time, mounted longitudinaly... ;)

i disagree...i mean...why not post your response on the 300ZX or Surpa forums regarding turbo reliability and we'll see the kind of response that will get. (and valid response too...unless you are a hondaboyfan.)

most modern turbo engines do not REQUIRE a turbo timer of sorts...but hey, if it adds peace of mind, do it...plus it's looks neat LOL!

umm...correct pump gas? most high performance cars and most of the i-VTEC/VtEC hondas require PREMIUM OCTANE GAS ANYWAY...so..similar restrictions to turbo cars...

yes...cars like the STi require even higher octanes to avoid pinging..but that's pushing a 2.5L to 300+ hp.
we're talking 3.5L to around 400 hp..i figure the 3.5L will not have to be pushed as hard to reach 400hp as the 2.5L does to reach 300hp. but i could be wrong.

i think alot of the unreliability of so called 'turbo' cars originate more from the company of manufacture...rather than the engineering of turbos themselves...
for example, mazda has never been tops for reliability..thus maybe the 300zx tt gets it's raps..
chrysler/mitsubishi neither..thus the talon, etc..

but toyota is among the best in reliability and supra tt's have been going fine! 400hp is nowhere near the supra's limits and running at 400 hp is undoubtedly very reliable. (maybe 800 hp is sshakier...)

anyway..if Honda want's to do it, i'm sure it could and the turbo it makes would bound to be more reliable as reliabilty has always been a cornerstone for Honda.

Went to a japanese book store today and all the japanese car magazines they had felt that the new NSX will be a 3.5L V6 non-turbo. The guessing game continues....

RyRy210 said:
Went to a japanese book store today and all the japanese car magazines they had felt that the new NSX will be a 3.5L V6 non-turbo. The guessing game continues....

like I said before, if Honda wants the 06 NSX to be back in today's supercar territory they will go with a v10 or more, mounted longitudinally.

Back