• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nifty upgrade for stock seat belts

Just got a set. I like it a lot. They claim a significant improvement in lap times with the CG-Lock vs. w/ out it. I can believe it. The CG-Lock just keeps you in place. I highly recommend it. I haven't had mine too long, but so far I'm okay with keeping it in place.

Does seem like a useful product. Before I had harnesses I remember getting more fatigued from track events (also got sore knees from intuitively using them against door and console to stabilize myself). This would solve much of that problem without harnesses.

Also looks like a good (albeit relitavely very expensive) alternative to the metal "locking clip" necessary for proper child seat installation in some cars. Those metal clips are a real PITA to install.

You can strap yourself just as tight by:
-first, pul the diagonal part up till the horizontal belt part is as tight as you want
-2nd, push yourself against the seatrest rolling up the slack in the diagonal belt
-3rd do a quick pull down on the diagonal belt so it locks
Belt will stay locked and hold you tight
I do this on trackdays and it works perfectly, no need for some kind of clip:rolleyes:

It works great with stock seats, or cars that doesn't come with a bucket seats. If you have racing seats already, the CG lock's improvement is limited.

You can strap yourself just as tight by:
-first, pul the diagonal part up till the horizontal belt part is as tight as you want
-2nd, push yourself against the seatrest rolling up the slack in the diagonal belt
-3rd do a quick pull down on the diagonal belt so it locks
Belt will stay locked and hold you tight
I do this on trackdays and it works perfectly, no need for some kind of clip:rolleyes:

And if you really want to make it tight do the above with the seat set back a couple of inches from where you normaly sit. After adjusting the belt, per the above, move the seat to your standard position. Works best with the stock power seats.

My question is - does this interfere and/or lose safety of the stock seatblet. What I mean is, in my understanding, the stock seatbelt is made so that if you have a front collision, your body turns around the belt and mitigates your head going forward and snapping/limitign damage.

With it so tight, it would seem to me that such benefit goes away and you increaes the chance of injury - or worse - paralysis in case of an accident.

This is one of the risks with harness belts (w/o a hans device) from what I've heard and the suggestion away from using them on the street. It would take quite an impact, but I'd hate to know that just b/c I put myself in a 4 point harness, I snapped my neck whereas in a stock seat belt.. I'd be hurt but at least not paralyzed.
Interested in hearing some thoughts..

My question is - does this interfere and/or lose safety of the stock seatblet. What I mean is, in my understanding, the stock seatbelt is made so that if you have a front collision, your body turns around the belt and mitigates your head going forward and snapping/limitign damage.

With it so tight, it would seem to me that such benefit goes away and you increaes the chance of injury - or worse - paralysis in case of an accident.

This is one of the risks with harness belts (w/o a hans device) from what I've heard and the suggestion away from using them on the street. It would take quite an impact, but I'd hate to know that just b/c I put myself in a 4 point harness, I snapped my neck whereas in a stock seat belt.. I'd be hurt but at least not paralyzed.
Interested in hearing some thoughts..
With stock seat belts I would not be concerned. You're concerned they'd be too-tight in an accident then they're already locked by the described device or procedure (instead of locking during an accident). Remember, however, that many newer cars have seat-belt tensioners that dynamically tighten the belts on impact. If they're doing that given all the research they do, I wouldn't be concerned about this.

I think one of the purposes of an airbag is head restraint (like HANS device, just different means/effectiveness). So if you keep the OEM wheel and don't disable the bag for some reason, that should help.

Use a CG Lock in my road car, great little innovation and good for track days. Harnesses are a pain in the ass to do, just for show really unless your car is seriously quick.

Back