• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No sound out of console speaker

Has anyone ever had problems with their center speaker going out? I did not "blow-it" or anything abusive like that. I just noticed that no sound is coming out of it. Any suggestions on the best way to trouble shoot this?

Thanks in advance...

------------------
no-thanks-i'll-park-it-myself

I am having the same problem and was told that when they took the phone out the wires may have been disconnect or ??? I even replaced the subwoofer/amp in the floorboard to see if it was the amp that was out for the speaker. No luck… so far.

I just wished the system sounded as good as the stock system in my wife’s Volvo.
wink.gif

93’ NSX

i got the same stinking problem. i wish there was a quick fix. oh wells, gotta wait till i have more $$ to replace the factory system. until then, ill just listen to v-tech symphony.

Actually, I unplugged my rear center speaker, and think it sounds better.

From an audio standpoint....it's really unclear what a tiny speaker in the middle of the rear seats was trying to accomplish.

BTW, I really don't like the sound of the BOSE system myself. ("Better Sound through Marketing"). So, I'll just be pretty negative about it.
frown.gif
Actually, I've never heard ANY bose system that I liked!

I'm in the process of designing a replacement system...It'll be done as soon as I get the moolah! (And, after the timing belts!)

--Ed

Researching this is pretty easy. I was in car stereo for 6 years, and this process is pretty simple, at least to find the problem.
Simply take apart the back console, to be able to access the speaker, and see if the pos. or neg. wires have come lose.

Next if you see they are still on, take them loose, and with a AA battery, and a couple wires, touch the Pos. & Neg. wires to the speaker leads to see if they work. (Note, only touch them quick, do not hold on there) It should make a quick popping noise, it doesn't damage the speaker so don't worry.
If it does make the pop, then the speaker is probably fine, its in the wires. If it is in the wires, you will need to backsearch to the amp, locate the same wire from the amp (you should be able to tell by the color) and do the same Popping test at the wires at the amp (after you disconnect the wires from the amp) to see if there is a short of some sort from amp to speaker, which i highly doubt if its factory. If you find nothing here, do the same thing up to the radio itself. If you don't find anything from the amp, make sure the amp is on, when you do the pop test from the radio wires.
This procedure is kinda tedious, but my guess is, if it just cut out all of a sudden, and all the other speakers work, its probably a wire loose.

BTW, I agree, this speaker is pointless, and makes no sense as an audiophile. Maybe japanese hear things different.
smile.gif
J/K
Hope that helps.
let me know the outcome.

[This message has been edited by NSXXX (edited 19 September 2002).]

Originally posted by NSXXX:
Researching this is pretty easy. I was in car stereo for 6 years, and this process is pretty simple, at least to find the problem.
Simply take apart the back console, to be able to access the speaker, and see if the pos. or neg. wires have come lose.

Next if you see they are still on, take them loose, and with a AA battery, and a couple wires, touch the Pos. & Neg. wires to the speaker leads to see if they work. (Note, only touch them quick, do not hold on there) It should make a quick popping noise, it doesn't damage the speaker so don't worry.
If it does make the pop, then the speaker is probably fine, its in the wires. If it is in the wires, you will need to backsearch to the amp, locate the same wire from the amp (you should be able to tell by the color) and do the same Popping test at the wires at the amp (after you disconnect the wires from the amp) to see if there is a short of some sort from amp to speaker, which i highly doubt if its factory. If you find nothing here, do the same thing up to the radio itself. If you don't find anything from the amp, make sure the amp is on, when you do the pop test from the radio wires.
This procedure is kinda tedious, but my guess is, if it just cut out all of a sudden, and all the other speakers work, its probably a wire loose.

BTW, I agree, this speaker is pointless, and makes no sense as an audiophile. Maybe japanese hear things different.
smile.gif
J/K
Hope that helps.
let me know the outcome.

[This message has been edited by NSXXX (edited 19 September 2002).]

thanks for the tip!!! ill try it and hope to god i dont break anything.

The center speaker is run off the amp for the sub in the passenger footwell. If that amp goes bad, like many bose amps do, you will get no sound from the center speaker or the sub.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

The Center speaker is pretty quiet. I never hear it unless the volume is turned up pretty loud.

Back