• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Non-Ricer Exhaust

Starting to plan for my winter projects on my '91. I did the fitment today on my Wings West side skirts and front spoiler. They are now off and will be heading to the paint shop in a couple weeks.

My question: I am looking for an exhaust system that will give the car a little rumble or growl. Not looking for a higher pitched sounding exhaust system. Looking for something slightly louder than stock. Not looking for something too loud. What systems out there would qualify?

Thanks in advance...

The AP-X fits the bill perfectly.

The AP-X fits the bill perfectly.

I'll back Angus on this. Bought an AP-X a few months ago, and it is fantastic! Louder than stock, but not the obnoxious yell that a GTLW will do, and a little louder (better) than a Comptech. The tone is amazing... a deep growl at idle, and 1-3k rpms, and then a nice smooth tone throughout the rest of the rpm band.

I'm about to pick up some LoveFab headers and hi-flow cats to help open up the stock 91 system, and hoping to keep the AP-X sound... just a little louder. Hope this helps.

For sound, I love my Tubi. It isnt light (only a little bit lighter than stock) and makes a few HP less than the more free flowing exhausts, but the sound is fantastic.

Comptech and Zees exhausts. I have both and they are perfect.
Steve

Comptech is too quiet.I had it too........I have a flowmaster exhaust,with custom tips. It is one of the best i have ever heard, low and throaty...and cheap...corsa tips cost twice as much as exhaust.:cool::cool:

For sound, I love my Tubi. It isnt light (only a little bit lighter than stock) and makes a few HP less than the more free flowing exhausts, but the sound is fantastic.

The Tubi is nearly 20lbs lighter than the stock exhaust, and mine gave me 5 horse. And yes, the sound is fantastic.

Around the year 2001 i convinced a friend, owner of Tubi in Italy to make about 40 or so NSX exhausts to sell to some of my friends. They all went fast but I kept one of the last ones for my 94 NSX. I sold the car with the Tubi in 2005 and have since bought a 97 CT NSX with everything CT made including the lame (IMO) CT exhaust. I recently started checking out new aftermarket NSX exhasuts and i still like the Tubi best.
I need to get one now and put single tips on it.and it does not matter if it is old. Fausto had told me, tongue in cheek, that the older the better, since the muffler stuffing starts to brake apart an sounds better....

+1 for Angus and the APX. I am thrilled with mine. As I mentioned in another post it is neighborhood friendly with a nice deep tone at low throttle and pure joy at wide open throttle in vtec.

Peter

Around the year 2001 i convinced a friend, owner of Tubi in Italy to make about 40 or so NSX exhausts to sell to some of my friends. They all went fast but I kept one of the last ones for my 94 NSX. I sold the car with the Tubi in 2005 and have since bought a 97 CT NSX with everything CT made including the lame (IMO) CT exhaust. I recently started checking out new aftermarket NSX exhasuts and i still like the Tubi best.
I need to get one now and put single tips on it.and it does not matter if it is old. Fausto had told me, tongue in cheek, that the older the better, since the muffler stuffing starts to brake apart an sounds better....

I remember those old original Tubi threads, but didnt remember this particular aspect. We Tubi owners salute you! It is, as always, a really great part from Tubi - they are real artists. Plus, it always commands respect from the Ferraristas at Cars and Coffee ;)

Comptech is too quiet.I had it too........I have a flowmaster exhaust,with custom tips. It is one of the best i have ever heard, low and throaty...and cheap...corsa tips cost twice as much as exhaust.:cool::cool:

I have Flowmaster too...I never thought I would like a Flowmaster, but it sounds great and isn't that loud on the NSX

Lol, do not get the pride then lol. I would never call it rice, more like f1 ear piercing loud monster haha. Your best off just youtubing them. Everyone has a different version of whats too loud or quiet. For ex mine is very, very loud.... Im talking you can hear me blocks away. Lmr's comptec, i hear his s/c over his exhaust. Just depends on your taste.

Love my AP-X from Angus. I have kept my car pretty much completely stock, but found the stock exhaust too quiet for such a great sports car. Just wanted something more "throaty" and exciting when getting on the throttle. This one does just that. And Angus is super to work with. Jay

AP-X is awesome if you like the dual canister sound. More of a midrange tone.

As for throaty, you have:

Comptech - quiet, reliable good growl; some drone
Zees - JDM awesomeness, but expensive
Tubi - louder than Comptech but no drone; rare
RM/B&B - I have this exhaust and love it. V8-like rumble at idle, deep howl at 5000 and ROAR at 8000. I have the quad-tip DTM version and it is badass. I get compliments everywhere I go. It is very quiet when off throttle, but there is some drone at 2000-2500. Also, it is +10 hp over stock.

Texas91Brent said:
I have a flowmaster exhaust,with custom tips. It is one of the best i have ever heard, low and throaty...and cheap...

Nukem said:
I have Flowmaster too...I never thought I would like a Flowmaster, but it sounds great and isn't that loud on the NSX

+1. I have one on my '92 and it is "throaty" but not loud until you floor it.

Starting to plan for my winter projects on my '91. I did the fitment today on my Wings West side skirts and front spoiler. They are now off and will be heading to the paint shop in a couple weeks.

My question: I am looking for an exhaust system that will give the car a little rumble or growl. Not looking for a higher pitched sounding exhaust system. Looking for something slightly louder than stock. Not looking for something too loud. What systems out there would qualify?

Thanks in advance...

Non-Ricer? I still love my HKS for such purpose.

I'd go AP-X for one that you can buy new today. 0.02

Didn't see where OP was located, but if you are somewhere where you can make an NSX meet of any kind you can probably find a Comptech and an AP-X and see which one best meets your personal definition of "a little louder" and also check your drone tolerance. Both are very good high quality systems, and both a bit louder than stock with the AP-X louder than the Comptech.

Like others have posted, your idea of "a little louder" may be very different than someone else's.

Didn't see where OP was located, but if you are somewhere where you can make an NSX meet of any kind you can probably find a Comptech and an AP-X and see which one best meets your personal definition of "a little louder" and also check your drone tolerance. Both are very good high quality systems, and both a bit louder than stock with the AP-X louder than the Comptech.

Like others have posted, your idea of "a little louder" may be very different than someone else's.
how would you compare the AP-X or CT to the Dali Gruppe N in both tone and volume?

hmmm so are all you with the wimpy exhausts calling us gtlw users ....rice:biggrin:

Back