• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Notes from a (not so new) NSX owner

Well, its been about two and a half years since my NSX purchase and......whoops, sorry. I forgot the NSX "greeting": 93 model year, Sebring Silver, lowered, 120,000 miles :) Iv'e driven this NSX for about about 1400 miles so far.

I have made some changes to my ride. It came with lowering springs and 17" wheels with spacers, which, in my opinion made it look like it was dragging itself (literally!). I realize it may have had a racy look and a firm ride but I wasn't comfortable about it. The final straw came when I was cruising on the freeway and ran over some trash. The end result was one of the panels was partially torn off and dragging. I soon purchased used shocks and stock springs and took the car in to a local repair place (which I have used for years on other cars I owned) to get everything swapped. Afterwards, however, things didn't feel great.....maybe more rattles than I was used to or something.

I decided to make the big chance and have the car checked by "Satan" (also known as the Acura dealership - Cerritos). I prepared myself for a very long list of "must do's" along with an equally large estimated cost. I already had my list of things to look at so I made that appointment.....

My small list included the suspension rattles, the fact that the radio sucked, had rattles in the instrument panel. I also knew the car was in an accident and had been repaired and wanted another check. The repair "must do" list thankfully had nothing although the "should do" list was extensive: Water pump, cam seals, shocks, brake pads, totaling more than $6000. I know, I know, that a lot of cash, dealer scam alarms going off in my head, etc. But he was honest enough to point out these were "should have", not must have". And on the good side the damaged panel was fixed for 80 bucks; he checked the instrument panel noises and found a dead aftermarket alarm system and some strange iPod device that shut down the stereo system. I figure I got off pretty cheap!

So now I have a really nice weekend ride. The paint is blemish free, the 17" wheels have a paint job that matches, everything works. The only things left are a small rattle in the IP (I think all NSXs have this) and a small clunk coming from the rear suspension. Well, that and reading about all you owners out there planning or doing upgrades - now I feel I need to make some too!

Seriously I am glad to read all of your stories.....this community makes me proud to be a fellow NSX owner!

Kyle

This post is not complete without a photo of your ride :)
glad things worked out

1400 miles in 2 1/2 years of ownership? And in sunny California? This was my 1st season and drove about 4000 miles!

How do you fight the urge not to want to drive it? Haha. And yes, pics please!

some people reverse car out of garage then back in everyday. that makes the 1400 in 2 1/2 years possible.

I own an NSX.
how does it handle in turns?
I don't know never got it on the street LOL

[MENTION=22589]shawn110975[/MENTION], LOL! That would be such a shame. These cars are made to be driven. I'm sure Kyle drives it much more than just in/out of his garage :)

.......and a small clunk coming from the rear suspension. Kyle

Kyle
Don't be concerned about the driveline clunk.
As the transaxle gears wear some driveline lash is the result and the source of the clunk.
It will slowly get louder as the miles pile up but the NSX transaxle under normal use is plenty tough.

Thanks for the feedback and positive response.

Good to know most of noises are just normal "old age" stuff. I should have known better - I am tending to make lots of "old age" noises too! I will ask again though - any of you owners have instrument panel noises?

Thanks

PS....here is a pic, lowered.

Kyle
attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 192.jpg
    Picture 192.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 700
You call that too low? I can get around nyc no problem at that height. Also do not ever sell those wheels.

Thanks for the positive feedback to all.

As far as the reason I have driven my NSX less than 1400 miles in two years......my commute is terrible! I drive the infamous "91" where the average speed is less than 25 mph overall and the worst five miles takes over an hour to cover. No wonder I take the train! The car does make weekends something to look forward to!

I do have some instrument panel rattles and squeaks. I had read silicone grease can take care of the squeak; I will try that. I think the rattle is just an old age thing, however.

Regarding the wheels....keep them huh? :)

Lastly, this site made me go and read some of the service manual and I noticed something. It has instructions on how to replace engine parts but not refurbish them. For example, no block deck height given. No rod center to center length given. In fact it implies you have to get the piston and rod as a set. That must make engine rebuilds VERY expensive! Are there machine dimensions out there? I see machine shops refurbishing NSX blocks so something is out there, right? ANyone have opinions?

Regards

Kyle

Thanks for the positive feedback to all.

As far as the reason I have driven my NSX less than 1400 miles in two years......my commute is terrible! I drive the infamous "91" where the average speed is less than 25 mph overall and the worst five miles takes over an hour to cover. No wonder I take the train! The car does make weekends something to look forward to!

I do have some instrument panel rattles and squeaks. I had read silicone grease can take care of the squeak; I will try that. I think the rattle is just an old age thing, however.

Regarding the wheels....keep them huh? :)

Lastly, this site made me go and read some of the service manual and I noticed something. It has instructions on how to replace engine parts but not refurbish them. For example, no block deck height given. No rod center to center length given. In fact it implies you have to get the piston and rod as a set. That must make engine rebuilds VERY expensive! Are there machine dimensions out there? I see machine shops refurbishing NSX blocks so something is out there, right? ANyone have opinions?

Regards

Kyle
You own a non boosted nsx. Seriously, you need never a engine rebuild. Even with a low boost supercharger or SOS turbo kit. You need not... Enjoy the most reliable exotic ever.... Like S14-tat says, save them wheels.

Back