• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

November 18th Raleigh Area Owners Meet

The NSX owners in Raleigh have firmed up a meeting date in November. The date is Sunday, November 18th, noon till ?? The place is the Sunset Lake Lodge on Sunset Lake Road in Holly Springs, NC.(See website below, there's a map on the site. This is a private clubhouse for the Sunset Lake Homeowners Association that overlooks Sunset Lake - a beautiful setting) Some of you attended a similiar event last year during October. We have lined up Steve Gooding, Certified NSX Technician to attend and talk to us about all things NSX.
Jeff Hutchinson, a Raleigh area NSX owner who attended the recent NSXPO '07 in Columbus, OH will probably attend and share with us his experiences at the NSXPO. From phone canvassing Russ (shiraz) and I made last night, we are sure of at least 12 owners attending, and a good chance that we'll have about 18. Any questions, please contact me by PM. Looking forward to seeing all area owners.

http://www.sunset-lake.org/outside_home.asp

For those not familiar with Steve, here's his bio:

Steve Gooding is a successful Real Estate Broker/Owner who just happens to be an NSX factory trained technician, an ASC certified master technician, and an Acura Certified Technician. He started with Acura in 1991 in Los Gatos, CA, for the Ted Stevens Dealership Group, where he started specialized NSX training. The first dealership client was Steve Wozniak (who owned 3 NSX’s, including one of the first automatics). Steve attended several training stints in Torrance, CA for NSX training and dismantling. (The first NSX off the production line is sent to tech school and taken apart for training purposes.) While at tech training, Steve also assisted on the tech line to better understand how the process works. Steve changed dealerships within the Ted Stevens Group, and also spent several years at their dealership in Sunnyvale, CA.
A position became available at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, CA, and Steve took that opportunity as Shop Foreman, and later as Assistant Service Manager. This was a fantastic opportunity because Hopkins Acura was the #1 NSX dealer in the country at the time. They were also a Comtech authorized installation center, covering such things as Superchargers, suspension, and carbon fiber add-ons. This was very different to factory work, but just as enlightening.
During this time, Steve owned P.R.E. (Performance Racing & Engineering). The shop, which primarily serviced Buick Grand Nationals, became very successful, working to modify and preserve the American muscle car.
The cost of living and many other factors brought the Gooding family to North Carolina, where Steve went to work at Autopark Honda and Leith Acura. Here, the number of NSX’s he serviced dropped from 3-4 per week to 1-2 per month. Also, they already had a very qualified technician working on them as well, and Steve and Craig shared the NSX work at the dealership.
Never one to sit idle, Steve opened Realty World Partners, a real estate brokerage firm. This career has given him continued success in business, and keeps him busy. To conitinue servicing the needs of his personal automotive clients, he has a 3-bay shop, a full set of tools, and a hydraulic lift, at his home in Raleigh. This side work enables him to keep his clients happy, and keeps his interest in automotive performance alive as well. Side work is by appointment only, and done mostly in the winter months and in the evenings. Steve does everything from timing belts to clutches to minor suspension work, and even some electrical work. Electrical issues used to be his specialty, but without factory ETM’s, this has been difficult. (If ETM is available, something could be worked out).
Steve looks forward to meeting people with a similar interest in Honda/Acura, and a respect for performance automobiles. Drive hard and stay safe!

Last edited:
John,

Reserve a parking spot for the car. Angie and I look forward to attending our first NSX event in North Carolina. Thanks for the invitation.

Tom

Tim,

Yea! I am counting on a beautiful, DRY, sunny fall day. As you know my car is afraid of the rain. If it's a little cool, that's all right. The clubhouse has a fireplace at either end of the main room.

Heard from some owners out west (Winston-Salem/Greensboro area) that sound like they may attend. Also sounds like Pete Silvoy (local NSX owner and window tint/clear bra shop owner) may bring a demo vehicle with the clear bra treatment that his shop offers.

Russ has several NSX racing DVD's that we will have running on screen.

Looking forward to a nice event.

John

Hey its the Hickory guy, I am planning on driving up if someone can send me directions and if anyone wants to cruise down with me I can meet them in Winston-Salem, Greensboro or any where along they way. But only if it is not raining. [email protected] is my email address

coffeeman 59,
Good to hear from you...and anxious to meet some of the owners out in the western part of the state. We are expecting a nice dry day on the 18th,:smile: but like you - my NSX stays inside on rainy days. In checking google maps, the trip from Hickory to Holly Springs is estimated at 181 miles, 3 hrs and 2 minutes. Now if you can manage to roll at top speed, you might cut that down to an hour, 30 minutes.:biggrin: Most of the drive is on I-40. If you decide to make the trip out here, we'll certainly roll out the red carpet. Someone driving that distance deserves VIP treatment.

There is a map on the Sunset Lake Lodge website. But generally you will drive east on I-40 to the Hwy 55 exit. Head south about 12-14 miles. Follow Business 55 towards Holly Springs, but turn left on Sunset Lake Road. Drive about 3 miles on Sunset Lake Rd till you see the Lodge and the lake on your right. On the day of the event I will post some "NSX" signs with an appropriate arrow pointing the direction on all of the major intersections approaching the Lodge.

coffeeman 59 - hope you can make it....we will enjoy meeting you, seeing your NSX and sharing your enthusiasm. We will also appreciate the long trip you will have made.

John Komar

http://www.sunset-lake.org/outside_home.asp

Raleigh area owners. Keep your eye on the 18th. I have heard from several new owners in the area, as well as several somewhat distant owners (Lumberton, Hickory, Greensboro) who are planning to attend. Even heard from an owner up north who is driving through Raleigh that weekend and has asked to swing by and join us. Right now by my count we may have about 17 cars fairly definite, and an additional 3-4 maybes.

The following link will provide a map of the area identifying the Sunset Lake Lodge (at 5648 Sunset Lake Rd, Holly Springs, NC)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...29&spn=0.007986,0.011523&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

Last edited:
Update on the Sunday, Nov 18th NSX Owners Meet. 12 Noon till dark. Rain:redface: or shine:smile: !!! Sunset Lake Lodge, Holly Springs, NC

Right now the weather looks like it might co-operate - forecast currently is partly cloudy and 66 degrees. Looks like we could have 19 cars/owners or more, including owners from Hickory, Lumberton and Burlington!!!!

In addition to Steve Gooding, Certified Master NSX Technician and possibly Pete Silvoy - Window Tint & Clear Bra Application - if the weather cooperates - Matt Rogers, Raleigh/Durham area detailer will attend and do a Show & Tell. Matt has performed his magic on several area owner's cars. Mine included.

A link for a google map of the area for the Sunset Lake Lodge in Holly Springs follows:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...29&spn=0.007986,0.011523&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

If anyone has any questions or requires further directions, feel free to call me @ 919 760-7492 - John Komar

Things are looking good for a nice partly sunny, dry, mid 60's day on Sunday. Still looks like at least 15 owners/NSX's attending...along with Steve Gooding, Pete Silvoy and Matt Rogers. (See details below).

One note of caution: Holly Springs Police are patroling area highways, enforcing recently lowered (45mph to 35 mph) speed limits. WATCH YOUR SPEED as you enter the area. Don't won't to spoil anyones weekend.

Update on the Sunday, Nov 18th NSX Owners Meet. 12 Noon till dark. Rain:redface: or shine:smile: !!! Sunset Lake Lodge, Holly Springs, NC

Right now the weather looks like it might co-operate - forecast currently is partly cloudy and 66 degrees. Looks like we could have 19 cars/owners or more, including owners from Hickory, Lumberton and Burlington!!!!

In addition to Steve Gooding, Certified Master NSX Technician and possibly Pete Silvoy - Window Tint & Clear Bra Application - if the weather cooperates - Matt Rogers, Raleigh/Durham area detailer will attend and do a Show & Tell. Matt has performed his magic on several area owner's cars. Mine included.

A link for a google map of the area for the Sunset Lake Lodge in Holly Springs follows:

If anyone has any questions or requires further directions, feel free to call me @ 919 760-7492 - John Komar

Will this meet be open to non-NSX owners? I'm home from college for the weekend and I'd love to come.

Hopefully I'll be joining with an NSX when I graduate. Its a goal of mine.

Victor, your more than welcome. Bring your CRX along! Right now I am expecting 15 - 18 NSX's, and the weather appears to be perfect tomorrow. Additionally, we'll have Steve Gooding available for questions and advice about all things NSX and mechanical. If you have any questions or need further directions, feel free to call me.

John Komar 919 760-7492.

Hey Guys,

I was all planning on making it, but I had an ole tooth extracted and now I have a dry socket. Not the best feeling in the world, so I want be able to make that drive. You guys have some fun though and take some pics. 15 NSX's would be a nice shot.

Jeremy

John, thanks for putting this together....had a great time and it was good to see some familiar faces again and meet some of the new folks. Here are a couple of pics from the meet.

DSC04353.JPG

DSC04358.JPG

DSC04361.JPG

DSC04365.JPG

DSC04363.JPG

DSC04370.JPG

DSC04374.JPG

DSC04381.JPG

DSC04383.JPG

Pics:

NSX13.jpg

NSX11.jpg

NSX12.jpg

NSX10.jpg

NSX09.jpg

NSX08.jpg

NSX07.jpg

NSX06.jpg

NSX05.jpg

NSX04.jpg

NSX03.jpg

NSX02.jpg

NSX01.jpg

Thanks to everybody there for welcoming a non-owner. I had a great time, and now I'm sure I want a NSX :biggrin:. I'll have full resolution (~3000x2000) pics up on a separate page shortly.

Shannon & Victor,

Thanks for the great pictures! I was just lamenting the fact that I didn't get many photos yesterday, when bingo, there they are!

Victor, as you probably observed yesterday, the NSX is a great car, and they usually attract pretty nice owners. We look forward to having you join the ranks sometime soon.

Hey Shannon, can't wait to see you get back to Raleigh area on a permanent basis!!! Thanks for the photos and taking the time to stop and send them.

John Komar

Last edited:
A special thanks to Steve Gooding, our area Certfied NSX Master Technician and all around NSX expert for attending our meet yesterday. Steve has serviced or repaired well over half of the Raleigh area NSX's, mine included. Steve can be reached via e-mail at [email protected].

Also thanks to Matt Rogers, Raleigh/Durham area Detailer, for stopping by and showing us what can be done to enhance the finish of our cars. Matt can be reached by phone at 919 621-7376.

John, thank you for putting all the details together and providing a great place to rest our NSX's. Especially those traveling from Mississippi to NC to Colorado! The answer to the question is 1 hour 27 minutes. Time from event to Lumberton. Includes one pit stop. Thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and look forward to the next event. Tom

DSCN1243.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

DSCN1247.jpg

DSCN1266.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

More photos

Attachments

• DSCN1271.jpg
    DSCN1271.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1272.jpg
    DSCN1272.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN1277.jpg
    DSCN1277.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN1248.jpg
    DSCN1248.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 46
What no pics of the monster truck??

Thanks for inviting me Russ, it was nice meeting those of you I talked with.

Donnie

Back