• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Cell phone question?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone still uses their NSX analog cell phone. I just purchased a 92 NSX and it has the NSX cell phone with hands-free system. It seems to work fine, I think the guy before me had it connected to Cingular wireless. I think it would be great to have it connected. The hansfree seems pretty nice.

I found a guy online that can program those old analog phones to your current cell phone number. I just have to send him both phones and he does for like $150.00. Only thing is you can only have one phone on at a time.

If you can only use 1 phone at the time why not try plug ur current phone to the car's speaker phone system and save 150?

Originally posted by itr-animal:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone still uses their NSX analog cell phone. I just purchased a 92 NSX and it has the NSX cell phone with hands-free system. It seems to work fine, I think the guy before me had it connected to Cingular wireless. I think it would be great to have it connected. The hansfree seems pretty nice.

I found a guy online that can program those old analog phones to your current cell phone number. I just have to send him both phones and he does for like $150.00. Only thing is you can only have one phone on at a time.

for example my cellphone already equipped with a nice ( loud) speaker phone function.. all I need to do is to press a button and a phone stand for it.
smile.gif

BostonNSX, If I could do that I would probably make a lot of money. Unfortunately it's not that simple.

I think the handsfree features of the nsx phone are pretty nice. Radio volume goes down, 10 preset buttons, etc...

Make sure your carrier supports what you are doing. Some carriers will shut down an account if they detect the same phone number coming from different ESNs. And per the FCC it is illegal to change the ESN on a phone or use a phone with a modified ESN. If you have to send him both phones, it sounds like he is cloning the phone which duplicates the ESN on both phones and is illegal.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 02 January 2003).]

Current FCC regulations in the US mandate 1 MIN per ESN. Two will be flagged as a violation and the account will be disabled. This law is a result of the rampant phone cloning.

You might be able to legitimately activate the phone assuming you have Cingular in your local area. Another carrier using the same protocol (TDMA) might be able to activate it as well, but they generally won't.

the OE phone is nice and looks nice with interior. but I wont bother to go thru the troubles to get it work again while you can do it with a modern cell phone with a touch of a button or buy a speaker set for the cell

umm lets see.. in my opinion is that..

If its working.. then use it! its nice and looks classy! if its not working.. than dont bother reviving it.. its analogue.. pain in arse to get a provider. Get a cell with a built in speaker phone system etc. then you can have the center console empty / but its good to leave the buttons on the coin tray.. it looks nice than.. simply blank there..

Speaker system might be possible.. the control... is beyond wiring wizard... since cell phones now are cabled and software driven.. easiest to do would be buying a car kit of ur cell phone..

Originally posted by Ca AGNSX:
Has anyone ever figured out how to "plug in a current digital cell to the existing phone control and speaker system? That seems like a best of both situation. Any curcuit wizards out there?

Has anyone ever figured out how to "plug in a current digital cell to the existing phone control and speaker system? That seems like a best of both situation. Any curcuit wizards out there?

Here's what I did:

1. Removed the majority of the OEM phone components (handset, coin tray insert, etc).
2. Install Nokia full car kit for my model phone, using the existing center speaker (like OEM) and the radio mute connection.
3. Place the "box" for the Nokia system on the firewall behind the driver's head.
4. Mount the "cradle" for the phone in the coin tray, so the phone lays flat just behind the gear selector.
5. Remove the OEM antenna and install a concealed glass-mount unit.

Most people don't think to install a new antenna, but the one which is installed in the car now is for 900 MHz only... you need one tuned for dual-band use (900 and 1800/1900 MHz).

EDR

Sounds like a project for Mr. Zublin to engineer the SmartPhone.
biggrin.gif

Back