• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX clutch. How many miles on yours?

So I was talking to a buddy whose friend drove an NSX recently and the owner said that he had put 3 clutches in (all stock) in 60,000 miles. He asked how many I had put in since I am over 189,000 miles, and was shocked when I said, 'None. I am still on the ORIGINAL clutch'.

So what are others out there seeing on their clutches, assuming the car runs close to stock power?

Hi,

Mine is still the factory original one too... my NSX has about 215.000kms = 133.600 miles

It holds like new, no slip, but i think at least one spring is gone, because it's hard to shift at high rpm.

Nuno

People that ride the clutch burn it up faster. when I had my 92 6-speed converted to dual input shaft, since it was the original clutch I had them just put a brand new one in.
but I looked at the original and it had plenty of life so I didnt need to change it. could have saved me 1000 for the dual clutch throw out bearings etc.

if you go thru 3 clutches in 60,000 miles you have to be doing something wrong, maybe the wife had drove the car for a few miles LOL

- - - Updated - - -

oh it had 120K+ miles

People that ride the clutch burn it up faster.
Yup. Also, people who are not good at matching revs burn it up faster. And slipping the clutch when shifting is bad too (although that's basically the same thing as not matching revs, LOL).

Lots of NSX clutches wear out in the 35-60K mile range. Some people get lots more (although Mitch's is the first one I have heard of that still works okay after going well over 100K miles). Three clutches in 60K miles is IMHO almost certainly due to driver error - riding the clutch, slipping the clutch, not matching revs. Incidentally, you can often see evidence of such driver error in scorching on the clutch surface when you open it up; a properly-driven clutch should have a smooth surface without visible scorch marks.

My personal experience - I had two clutches fail after 40K miles, due to a spring breaking, but in both cases, about 7K of those 40K miles were track miles. I chatted about it once with our regional service manager, and he suggested the high revs of track use creates an extra shock on the clutch when shifting. I really can't complain about 40K with that much track use (and besides, there wasn't all that much friction material left at that point anyway).

Last edited:
My 91 has 235,000 KMs. Original clutch however it does slip when shifting quick. If you shift it slow and give it a normal engagement it's fine. I'll be pulling it out this winter to replace it with an exedy twin disc

I have 50k miles on my new OEM clutch which I put in 4 years ago. It always shuttered but recently, it's been making more noise than before. On top of that, it squeals when I slip the clutch on an aggressive start. Is that a sign of the clutch going? It's not slipping tho.

Original clutch, 62,000 miles, still drives like new.

91 NSX original clutch 107k miles. No slip.

I have 50k miles on my new OEM clutch which I put in 4 years ago. It always shuttered but recently, it's been making more noise than before. On top of that, it squeals when I slip the clutch on an aggressive start. Is that a sign of the clutch going? It's not slipping tho.
No. It's wearing out when it slips. Yours is not slipping, so it's not wearing out.

The shuttering and noise when you slip the clutch out sounds like the flywheel wasn't machined or wasn't machined correctly when it was done. Also make sure they replaced your rear main seal when doing your clutch cause any oil on the clutch could also make that noise

125,000 on original clutch. Holds fine.
Part of it is your highway/city mix. I do 90% highway miles.

I have 78,xxx on my original '94 clutch. I'm thinking it's going to be time to change it out when it gets to be 20yrs old.

when i got my nsx with 30k miles on it,the clutch was worn out.replaced it with an oem,hoping for many miles.i put 105k miles on an old prelude,and sold it with the original clutch still working fine.

1991 with 80,000 on original clutch, still feels good, just no more chirping of tires from 1st to 2nd.

My clutch had just been replaced at 56K miles when I bought the car. Almost 100K miles later, I'm still on the same clutch with no signs of failure.

Just remember, you're likely to get a response bias, in which those getting a lot of miles to their clutch are more eager to share than those who don't...

'91 w/original clutch @95k.

I purchansed my 91 NSX with 38,500 miles on it in March 2008. The clutch was replaced by the previous owner at 37,750 at the Honda Dealership. So my clutch had 750 miles on it when I purchased the car.
The clutch now has approximatley 9,100 miles on it now, so I still consider it fairly new. My DD (not an NSX) has 102,800 miles on it with the original clutch.
I'm sure hoping I get something close with the NSX clutch. I don't do much stop and go driving so that should help I would think.
But I have noticed that there have been quite a few NSX's that need a new clutch near when mine was replaced or at least under 50k. I suspect the way they drive, stop and go, allowing the clutch to slip, riding the clutch possibly ? ? ?
I guess time will tell. But as others have posted there are NSX's that have more than 100k on them with the original clutch.

The original owner of mine replaced her first clutch at 13972 miles and her second clutch at 23480 miles. She had a short commute up/down the Palos Verde pennisula every day. As the second owner, I'm on that third clutch, car has just over 33K miles and all (knock on wood) is fine. But, I've had pretty good luck with clutches -- I've got over 250K miles on my '91 CRX original clutch and still going strong (has even survived my oldest son and wife's driving)!

Back