• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Crash in San Diego

I don't know if anyone's mentioned the obvious.. but how the heck did the seat leave the chasis?!

This means that those 4 bolts ripped through the threads and we need to do something to reinforce them!

It may have saved his life by limiting the g's on the body.. but in general, I'd take my chances being inside the car than outside, over a clif, under another car, rolling on the road.. at at 90 mph..

Seriously which pics are you looking at? :confused:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned the obvious.. but how the heck did the seat leave the chasis?!

This means that those 4 bolts ripped through the threads and we need to do something to reinforce them!

It may have saved his life by limiting the g's on the body.. but in general, I'd take my chances being inside the car than outside, over a clif, under another car, rolling on the road.. at at 90 mph..

I think the question you should be asking is how the chassis left the seat? While its never good for the cockpit to come apart, no car is made from unobtanium and when that cockpit hits an unmovable object, bad things can happen.

This is the second Acura I've seen split in half. I saw a first gen Legend Coupe cut apart in a similar way. It broadsided a tree at a high rate of speed. Even a carbon fibre chassis can split, see Stan Fox's accident at the 96 Indy 500, John Force's Pamona disintegration, or Kubica's crash at Montreal last year.

Drive safe, and at the speed limit (or close enough). There are reasons race tracks don't have power poles or curbs.

Miner

Hi guys...Jeff Powers again Fox6 news.

Just so you know...I am not asking for an interview so I can twist the facts.

I have a genuine interest in two things. The driver and how he survived and secondly where is the other driver and car involved?

I have seen a photo on this website of another car possibly involved but if any of you could help that would be great.

But again I understand the concerns here for your fellow NSX driver and I appreciate and respect those concerns.

Again my e-mail is [email protected]

Be safe.

Jeff

Nice deal you're suggesting. BUT: I just see the prospective report which goes like the following:

'Look here! That's what an evil street-racer looks like! ' In fully and most ridiculous contrast of the picture of the torn car the driver states that he has only be driving at the speed limit of 40 mph. Ok, enough sarcasm on TV reporting for today.

That's how sensational reporting looks like today, no? :rolleyes: For the driver it doesn't contribute anything at all than playing the monkey in the zoo.

Much easier way to find the other car: What about asking the driver?

Hi guys...Jeff Powers again Fox6 news.

Just so you know...I am not asking for an interview so I can twist the facts.

I have a genuine interest in two things. The driver and how he survived and secondly where is the other driver and car involved?

I have seen a photo on this website of another car possibly involved but if any of you could help that would be great.

But again I understand the concerns here for your fellow NSX driver and I appreciate and respect those concerns.

Again my e-mail is [email protected]

Be safe.

Jeff

Easy and perhaps I can answer for you:

1. How did he survive? Like he'll be able to tell you. The accident probably happened so quickly that he'd be lucky to know if he pissed his pants or not.

2. Other car? Contact the Police. I don't think the driver of the NSX will know where the other car is considering his hospital stay...

Your story is over hence the appreciation and respect of a fellow NSX driver.

if it is that NSX with the vin posted above, here are the before pics of it when it was sold in july 2004:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?showSlide=true&Uc=spdg25l.4hp16xzt&Uy=-xx98q7&Ux=1

also if you go to http://www.iaai.com/, click on find vehicle now, click acura, then yar 1993 to 2008, area code 11221, nationwide search, it will be the only one.

Can someone please post the pictures from that insurance site for those of us that do not have the $200 membership to view them? Thank you.

Jeff is from Fox News. He would never sensationalize a news story.

Fox News? Aren't they the home of "honest reporting"???:eek:

How dare you say things like that about our Esteemed member of the 5th Estate!:mad:

After all, as long as the Driver was a Republican and thinks that Cheney truly isn't part of the Legislative OR Executive branch I'M SURE he'll get a fair shake:biggrin:

Its likely Jeff will blame the accident on the Japanese and Obama and discuss how the NSX does not contribute to Global Warming!:biggrin: :wink:

This would be a more diplomatic response rather then attacking someone's career choice. -

"Thank you for your interest in this story about one of the members of the NSX community. As a close community we find it in our best interest to let the driver and his family have the decision to come forward with any and all personal information regarding this matter."

- just trying to maintain the image I found when I first started coming to this forum.

Jeff is from Fox News. He would never sensationalize a news story.

Ummm, he said he works at a local Fox affiliate. That isn't the same as the Fox News Channel.

Looks like you're the one bending the truth. :cool:

Also another reason that maybe we don't think its the best idea could be based on the fact the most of the clips we saw had "reporters" "reporting" completely crap info. An integra is really close to an Nsx bro, if you are only talking about emblems on the hood and trunk. Some guy and his son said a civic was racing him so it MUST be a civic, so yeah lets tell the country that too when, not for sure, in all likelyhood the car wasn't even close to a civic. they're common tuner cars so much be true, right? I'm an NSX owner, but even if i weren't i would be dumbfounded by the things i saw on the posted clips. All because some "real intelligent witness":rolleyes: said that's what happended. a little research and a phone call or two could have had about 10 things that were reported completely reversed. So why should any of us think the outcome of an interview or discussion with the victim be ANY different at all? Multiple reporters stated the same BS if you saw.

Yeah I don't work for the network...I work for FOX6. I also haven't reported on this story yet.

But again I'm not interested in exploiting the story. You have to admit it is a remarkable survival story and his words with the images would be impactful for anyone who thought speeding was a good idea.

Hopefully the folks in this forum who know the gentleman will pass the word along and maybe we can chat with him.

Thanks!

Jeff
[email protected]

Also another reason that maybe we don't think its the best idea could be based on the fact the most of the clips we saw had "reporters" "reporting" completely crap info. An integra is really close to an Nsx bro, if you are only talking about emblems on the hood and trunk. Some guy and his son said a civic was racing him so it MUST be a civic, so yeah lets tell the country that too when, not for sure, in all likelyhood the car wasn't even close to a civic. they're common tuner cars so much be true, right? I'm an NSX owner, but even if i weren't i would be dumbfounded by the things i saw on the posted clips. All because some "real intelligent witness":rolleyes: said that's what happended. a little research and a phone call or two could have had about 10 things that were reported completely reversed. So why should any of us think the outcome of an interview or discussion with the victim be ANY different at all? Multiple reporters stated the same BS if you saw.

Perhaps you could help set the record straight.

This would be a more diplomatic response rather then attacking someone's career choice. -

"Thank you for your interest in this story about one of the members of the NSX community. As a close community we find it in our best interest to let the driver and his family have the decision to come forward with any and all personal information regarding this matter."

- just trying to maintain the image I found when I first started coming to this forum.

Well said. Hopefully some of your integrity wil wear of on others and bring back the NSX community to what it once was.

Yeah I don't work for the network...I work for FOX6. I also haven't reported on this story yet.

But again I'm not interested in exploiting the story. You have to admit it is a remarkable survival story and his words with the images would be impactful for anyone who thought speeding was a good idea.

Hopefully the folks in this forum who know the gentleman will pass the word along and maybe we can chat with him.

Thanks!

Jeff
[email protected]

With all due resspect, how is that not exploiting the situation. There is nothing remarkable about an accident and surviving, or perishing.

In fact, we all think it's "remarkable" because an NSX was split in half and the driver is still alive. That's why it's a topic on Prime.

Perhaps the story should be "exploited" to draw more attention to the dangers of street racing.

Greetings

I kind of wonder what if anything "the witnesses" actually saw of the accident as it occurred. Police will tell you that an eye witness is the worst source of information.

When is the last time you drove your NSX down a street -- over the speed limit because your mind is on something else, but not racing anyone at all. Guy could have been driving faster than normal and tried to answer a cell phone or something. No one knows except the driver.

The damage to the car was extensive, but he might not have been going anywhere near 70 MPH as claimed. The car could tear in half, and the engine and drive train continue to push it onward and off of the road The engine would continue to run for a very short period of time to push it across the road -- energy stored in a rotating flywheel.

The kinetic energy is 1/2 the mass times the velocity squared. Changing speed a small amount changes the energy available to tear the car apart increase dramatically. Assume a 1400KG NSX to make the number easier (I know, this would be a fat car). The numbers are metric measures -- are listed below and rounded for easier reading. A speed of approximately 30 MPH could tear an NSX apart with ease depending upon how it hit the pole.

4 m/s ~8 MPH 11,000
8 m/s ~16 MPH 45,000
15 m/s ~ 31 MPH 160,000
29 m/s ~ 59 MPH 590,000

Cheers,
Martin

With all due resspect, how is that not exploiting the situation. There is nothing remarkable about an accident and surviving, or perishing.

It was a remarkable crash/survival. I hate journalists but if journalists are going to report crap, might as well give this guy a chance since he shows more interest in getting the facts straight then most. Hell he went to the source for info, rather than quoting bystanders that called the beauty a civic. Are we so seclusive here as a close community we can't help make the story a little more correct? the negativity in this thread is starting to get depressing :(.

Could also have the opposite effect: To show the dumb people that they can survive even with speeding which results in cutting the car in two pieces.

Excessive speeding is not a rational act, it's a truely emotional one with neglecting all warnings from the ratio. People of doing that should not even drive a car in the passenger seat IMO.

As far as the human being are concerned this looks like a Fuck & Furious crash, as far as the cars are concerned it's not a movie happy end.

But after all it's all in doubt for the driver.

In fact, we all think it's "remarkable" because an NSX was split in half and the driver is still alive. That's why it's a topic on Prime.

Perhaps the story should be "exploited" to draw more attention to the dangers of street racing.

Fortunate, absolutely.
Lucky, definitely.
By the grace of God, for sure.

It is a topic on prime because one of our cars was destroyed in an extreme accident. A lot of us prayed while the driver was in ICU, a lot of bickering about the crash and effects of street racing, etc.

Miner

The kinetic energy is 1/2 the mass times the velocity squared. Changing speed a small amount changes the energy available to tear the car apart increase dramatically. Assume a 1400KG NSX to make the number easier (I know, this would be a fat car). The numbers are metric measures -- are listed below and rounded for easier reading. A speed of approximately 30 MPH could tear an NSX apart with ease depending upon how it hit the pole.

4 m/s ~8 MPH 11,000
8 m/s ~16 MPH 45,000
15 m/s ~ 31 MPH 160,000
29 m/s ~ 59 MPH 590,000

Cheers,
Martin

The typical flow of traffic is between 55-65mph on that section of Camino Santa Fe as I do drive down that road quite a bit. I find myself going about 60mph at times and still getting passed up but do not go any faster due to my suspension settings and the uneven pavement that could wreak havoc on certain cars, particularly mid-engine types such as the NSX. Eye-witness accounts, not sure how accurate they were, put the car at between 60-70mph which is pretty much typical cruising speed down that road.

Thanks!

Jeff
[email protected]

Jeff, I will pass the word along the next time I visit him. Chances are, he will defer to his legal counsel for interview requests as standard procedure until the investigation concludes.

Thank you for passing on the word to him. I certainly hope he is recovering well, it sure sounds like it.

Again please impress on him that we don't want to exploit this story or him.

It is one heck of a compelling story and I think the viewer benefit would be pretty large coming from him.

Jeff Powers

Again my e-mail is [email protected].

Thank you.

Glad to hear the driver is OK! Here's hoping to his speedy and full recovery!

I just visited the crash site this afternoon and took some pictures with my camera phone. I'll go back and take some pictures with my bigger camera. There are still lots of debris laying around. The skid marks are still there.

Looking at those pictures, how the heck did the car get on the other side of the wall?

There is no wall. There is a concrete drainage ditch and I think it's an optical illusion given the angle that picture was taken.

Compare these two pictures and you can see the right side of the car is in the ditch while the remaining left of the car is on the steep embankment.

2c.jpg

attachment.php

Here's a picture of the skid marks. Sorry for the camera phone quality, I'll be back for more. The street curves to the right (if were were traveling in his direction). The speed limit is 50mph. And like what others have said, people go much faster than that through here.

attachment.php

The following picture may give you a better picture of the scene. Directly to my left of this picture is where the car ended up. To the right is where the front of the car ended up. There are markings all over the road such as "LF" and "RF." I'm assuming that means Left Front and Right Front.

attachment.php

I hope that helps. I'll get some more pics. Any special requests? Other than climbing up the embankment? :)

I have to tell you, right before I had a chance to stop and take these shots, I was pulled over by police in my daily driver on this street. It's a black Honda Accord. I wonder if he thought the other car was me? :eek::tongue: He said he pulled me over for no front plates, but he let me go. I jinxed myself by talking about getting pulled over all the time for no front plates at the Tax Drive yesterday.

Be safe out there...

--Conrad

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,398
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,386
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,390