• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Drive August 14th Saturday 11:30am

Apparently everyone enjoyed the drive after our last dinner so I decided to make a drive during the day. Perhaps up to the North Georgia mountains on August 14th, 2010.

I would like to meet somewhere on the GA-400 at 11:30am. We will drive for about 2-3 hours and be back in Atlanta (or where we started) by 3pm.

I think we can find a place to eat while we are up there.

Also we will be using 2 way radios to communicate so bring them if you got em!

Let me know who would like to go.

1. Alex
2. Todd
3. Marshall
4. Russell
5. JLCoolman
6. DJ
7. James (ColdHammer)
8. Michael P.
9. Dennis (NSX BARQUE)
10. Tim Sunedaz
11. Tim Bromley
12. G-SPEED NSX
13. JLPorterNSX

Last edited:
i will try and make this one.

there's a place up on 180 that is pretty decent, and there is always helen.

Apparently everyone enjoyed the drive after our last dinner so I decided to make a drive during the day. Perhaps up to the North Georgia mountains on August 14th, 2010.

I would like to meet somewhere on the GA-400 at 11:30am. We will drive for about 2-3 hours and be back in Atlanta (or where we started) by 3pm.

I think we can find a place to eat while we are up there.

Also we will be using 2 way radios to communicate so bring them if you got em!

Let me know who would like to go.

1. Alex
2. Todd
3. Marshall
4. Russell
5. JLCoolman
6. DJ
7. Tbromley

Best drive I ever took - of course it was clear of traffic and that makes such a huge difference - was out of Dahlonega on 60 and then to 180. If it's crowded like it could be it may not be much fun. I went up on a weekday in the winter, blasted by a log truck and 6 cars right out of Dahlonega and had no traffic in front of me the rest of the way to Unicoi. Unreal drive - I would not anticipate that on any jaunt on the weekend. Just something to think about - we may get lucky - you never know.

so what's y'alls definition of a "drive through the mountains"?

aggressive, high speed? or cruising through enjoying the view?

so what's y'alls definition of a "drive through the mountains"?

aggressive, high speed? or cruising through enjoying the view?

Well the speed is primarily determined by the traffic that is out. Then of course you can only go so fast on those curves. As one of our past group members can attest too.

Usually some people like to take a more leisurely pace through the mountains and others take off and drive hard. Just depends on the make up of the group.

Well the speed is primarily determined by the traffic that is out. Then of course you can only go so fast on those curves. As one of our past group members can attest too.

Usually some people like to take a more leisurely pace through the mountains and others take off and drive hard. Just depends on the make up of the group.

so what's the make up of the group going? i understand the leisurely stroll with occassional "opening up"... but i went with another group and i felt like i was in a race risking my life at times...

My rule is, I don't speed further than I can see.
So around curbs I've never been around, I won't ride toooo hard.

Life's too short to race in these mountains. I rode bikes through these mountains with guys that thought they were GP riders.
It doesn't always work out well. :frown: RIP :frown:

I agree with Todd I can't speed if I can't see. Plus my car looks fast parked :smile:

We sure would make the news "12 NSX's, following too close and speeding, wrecked in a blind curve" :eek:

Last edited:
In the past, some of the drivers who swore they were going to take it easy ended up being the ones going around the corner, facing the opposite direction.:eek::eek::eek: (the poor guy needed a new pair of underpants)

Our motto is drive as fast as you are comfortable. This isnt a race, it is just a fun spirited drive.

I have spent many days in these mountains, some on my bike, some in my car. I have seen many unhappy endings.

Remember we are just going up there to have fun, none of us have anything to prove.

When you drive with a group - especially in the mountains - it is not going to be a fast drive. At least I'm going to be safe - a group is hard to control and especially difficult to work thru the mountains in tandem.

If the roads are more like sweepers then you can see fine and it's possible to hit a few straights and speed up a little but it's just not safe for a bunch of guys to be hauling ass like the movies show it - that is crazy. When I drive fast I have to keep my wits about me and be very focused and not be worrying about a group of guys in a line or blind curves and hauling around to meet someone looking at me thru thier front windscreen - nope...

It's better if there is a destination in mind where you can sit around and have lunch or something like that. I've been on drives like that with the PCA Peachstate Region. Say to a Winery. I'll say this that if it is just hot as the hinges of hell like it was last Saturday - I don't think that would be a good time. Maybe we should think on the weather end of this.

Anyone have an idea of where we could drive along some sweepers and get to a destination for lunch?

I drive like a grandma and I call my other car the SilverTurtle.

There's an awesome BBQ place from what I hear, up in Clayton, called Oinkers.

Sounds like a healthy place to eat :biggrin:

If you find the address, we will make sure to make it one of our stopping points on our route.

Don't worry about driving fast, I drive relatively slow myself. With the turbo lag, it is not the best for driving in the mountains when the boost kicks in so I will be keeping it easy.

I used to live in Clayton and Oinker's is good BBQ.... problem is they have or had 3 years ago a gravel parking area and a lot of traffic on the weekends in and out = lots of dust

There's also a good Mexican restaurant in Helen called La Panchanga right off the main road with second story seating on the deck.
:smile: It could make for some good aerial like pictures. :smile:

Also Hiawassee has a, car enthusiast owned, good Chinese/Japanese restaurant called Asiano's. There is also the Yacht Club with deck seating over looking Lake Chatuge.
PS you might be confused when you see the "yachts" in Hiawassee. They have a "little" less YACHT in them then the ones in Miami/Fort Lauderdale.
I need to quit hating..... I'm just jealous. :confused:

Sounds like a healthy place to eat :biggrin:

If you find the address, we will make sure to make it one of our stopping points on our route.

Don't worry about driving fast, I drive relatively slow myself. With the turbo lag, it is not the best for driving in the mountains when the boost kicks in so I will be keeping it easy.

If we were to go that way, it'd probably be our turn around point. Cause it's pretty way up there near the border.

I used to live in Clayton and Oinker's is good BBQ.... problem is they have or had 3 years ago a gravel parking area and a lot of traffic on the weekends in and out = lots of dust

There's also a good Mexican restaurant in Helen called La Panchanga right off the main road with second story seating on the deck.
:smile: It could make for some good aerial like pictures. :smile:

Also Hiawassee has a, car enthusiast owned, good Chinese/Japanese restaurant called Asiano's. There is also the Yacht Club with deck seating over looking Lake Chatuge.
PS you might be confused when you see the "yachts" in Hiawassee. They have a "little" less YACHT in them then the ones in Miami/Fort Lauderdale.
I need to quit hating..... I'm just jealous. :confused:

Sounds like some really great suggestions.

Never liked Helen either. But the drive up to Clayton is ok and out around there may be nice. There is always Bob and June's is it - son of the Dillard House folks. Something like that.

Could be fun guys - I like the idea of looking out at a lake while we eat...and look at our cars! It will definitely be a happening up there!

glad to hear y'all are "slow" drivers. i'll most likely ride shotgun with my brother taking pix and video... but i went with the 370z group, and they were crazy in the mountains, and there were 11 of us!

glad to hear y'all are "slow" drivers. i'll most likely ride shotgun with my brother taking pix and video... but i went with the 370z group, and they were crazy in the mountains, and there were 11 of us!

I have been crazy in those mountains and I have see horrible endings. In 2000, one of our NSX buddies from Miami came around a corner too quick and went over the edge. Thank God a tree about 10 feet down stopped him. He was able to pull the car out with the assistance of a tow truck and he was able to drive him...also with a change of underwear.

Back