• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx driving experience?

First of all I own an nsx... But have never driven it :miserable:. It's killing me! I'm currently deployed overseas and purchased my nsx halfway through my tour. I know it sounds silly but my brother and I have the exact same "feel" for cars. He told me that this one was the "one" it had an almost perfect body/paint and drivetrain felt strong and unabused. Although the interior took a beating from the Florida sun. ANYWAY

My brother sends me videos of him driving it, and all the little details of the car every day. I have been inside of an nsx before but didnt really pay attention to ownership details. So my questions are

For coupes
-how is the driving experience windows down. I had an s2000 and with the rear visor even top down felt just as quiet as top up. The radio sounded perfect with the head speakers and the wind entered the car smoothly. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, I had an 2007 acura tl and loved every aspect of it except when I would put the windows down it felt like hurricane force winds inside unless I tuned all my windows individually for certains speeds. I know it sounds like a silly question but how much do you enjoy driving windows down.

- how is road noise? Do you hear every nook and cranny on the road or do you feel it has adequate sound dampening. I had to add like 20 pounds of dynamat to my s2000 to enjoy it more in that sense. I know these sounds like silly questions but I'm just curious. Especially having to wait another 3 months before I get to drive it. I would have never done this be it any other car...but it was an NSX :redface: my dream car. So I took the risk for the deal.

I really enjoy aimless nightly drives listening to some good quality music. Although I am willing to compromise for this car, does it have an enjoyable daily driving feel? Or just a sporty feel.

I've been driving my NSX for almost 12 years. I have driven just about every import car out there. S2k, 3kGT VR4, Supra Twin Turbo, RX7 FC/FD 350, etc. Nothing out there feels like it. Windows down is enjoyable. Not that bad at all. Road noise to me depends on what type of tires you use. It would work fine for a daily driver, but I drive my old car to work and my NSX to wherever I want to go.

Well having the windows down on a coupe probably won't compare to the dropped top roadster. I have a 2K5 TL and I know what you mean with the hurricane feeling. The NSX isn't as bad. As far as road noise a lot does depend on tires as stated earlier. The stereo in the NSX is meh. Not great, but not the worst factory system I have heard. Then again mine is 24 yrs old as of May. I hear a lot of engine noise which I love when I am driving the car. When behind the wheel of the NSX you feel connected somehow. It is something you'll have to feel for yourself when driving. I can't put it into words.

Wind noise with the windows open gets annoying starting at around 130MPH. :biggrin:

The driving experience is amazing.

The parking experience is not. Be prepared to have lengthy conversations every time you exit it.

It does depend on what's been done to it or not.

A bone stock '91 is a VERY comfortable daily car, and still fairly sporty if a little under-tired for serious driving.

A '91 with some swaybars and slighly wider/lower profile tires is about the best of all worlds for anything short of track use.

Comparing to what you know: The steering will feel slightly less precise than your S2000 at slow speeds, but livens up once you're moving. If it's stock, the ride will be softer than the S2k as well. The torque, such as it is, makes the car more relaxed to drive normally vs. an S2000, but it gets nearly as crazy towards the top of the rev range. The driver's seat is a nice place to be and visibilty is second-to-none. Windows down is nice, not too much buffetting until you're at ludicrous-speed. Even then, no audible resonance.

If you were adding dynamat to your S2K, you should be right at home. These cars do a good job of "bonkers when you want, relaxed when you don't".

The driving experience is amazing.

The parking experience is not. Be prepared to have lengthy conversations every time you exit it.

This, I've owned mine since last Friday and wow, EVERYONE wants to talk to you about it.

And the road noise (I am really hoping) is based a lot off of tires. My stereo shit the bed on the way home, so I heard a lot of it - but I was also on borrowed tires. When the stereo worked, I didn't notice it.

And describing how it is to drive it? It felt like a (nearly) 300HP go cart and with the Pride Exhaust when I opened it up I was nothing but grin from ear to ear. I can honestly say I've never driven a more responsive car. I absolutely love it.

This, I've owned mine since last Friday and wow, EVERYONE wants to talk to you about it.

And the road noise (I am really hoping) is based a lot off of tires. My stereo shit the bed on the way home, so I heard a lot of it - but I was also on borrowed tires. When the stereo worked, I didn't notice it.

And describing how it is to drive it? It felt like a (nearly) 300HP go cart and with the Pride Exhaust when I opened it up I was nothing but grin from ear to ear. I can honestly say I've never driven a more responsive car. I absolutely love it.

That noise is all tires... Get a 200tw tire and you're not going to hear that.

I had an s2000 and with the rear visor even top down felt just as quiet as top up.

I think you meant to say "...top up felt just as noisy as top down." ;)

The others are right: Road noise will be a function of the tires. Stay away from KDWs, for example. But the exhaust system also matters. The stock exhaust has a great dual personality. Every aftermarket exhaust I have heard was too loud at highway speeds to really enjoy the audio but some made up for this by producing sounds just as sweet as that found on any CD.

You may want to invest in a quality aftermarket audio system installed by someone familiar with the NSX. Otherwise, if yours is still sporting the stock stereo, hope you kept those old cassettes.

The car is a great cruiser as well as a sweet sportster. You can drive comfortably for hours.
I miss cruising top-down in my S2000 along the beach on a nice moon lit night. But I couldn't be happier with my decision to sell the S and get a year one NSX.

BTW, thanks for your service. Stay safe and hurry home. That NSX is waiting.

Sorry I'm late to the game...first off, thank you for your service for keeping our country safe. Secondly, welcome to the NSX family. Third, you WILL love the NSX. Driving it, even on long drives, can be as comfortable or as exciting as you want it. You will always get a little stir in your stomach when you drive it, it really IS that special. The road noise is totally based on tires...I always drive with my windows down so I can hear the exhaust. It's not as visceral as an AP1 S2000 but, putting Dynamat in your S2000 tells me you want it quiet and yes it can be a quiet car but, get into VTEC and it's another car just like the S2000...the S2000 hitting VTEC is like unleashing a mad dog, VTEC in the NSX like unleashing a banshee.

That last sentence - I absolutely LOVE opening the car up on open road. Albeit a little underpowered (IMO), it gets out of its own way well enough to make it a blast to drive.

And the tire noise did go away some after I swapped the 97 wheels back on it. They're still not the best, but noticably better.

Then again, this isn't a car I'm overly worried about road noise in. I drive it occasionally, so its not of urgent concern to me.

Stay safe bud, get home safe and god bless you for serving.

The NSX is a much more refined drive than the S2000, read quieter :). It does not feel as raw as the S2000. The S2K you could drive like you hate it and enjoy it at the limits, but the NSX has more power and much better high speed handling and capability so you may feel scared of taking it to its limits (on public roads). :)

The NSX is a much more refined drive than the S2000, read quieter :). It does not feel as raw as the S2000. The S2K you could drive like you hate it and enjoy it at the limits, but the NSX has more power and much better high speed handling and capability so you may feel scared of taking it to its limits (on public roads). :)

Ive owned a S2000 for 5 years and just got an NSX. I have to totally agree, the nsx is so comfortable and wants to be highway driven, while the s2000 loves being thrown around and revved with wreckless intent. Both are awesome cars and I feel so lucky to have both.

i cant wait to get home!! haha all these post have go me excited! i was doutbing having purchased one. Its always been a dream car of mine. But then justifying spending almsot 20k on mine (i know still cheap) for such an older car i was doubting myself. I enjoy reading these posts, it helps me feel better about my choice! worst case scenario it has a great re sale value. I pretty much have all the coolant hoses, new oem clutch, and timing belt/water pump waiting for me when i get home. woot cant wait to drive this thing!

Back