• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX essence... really intangible (in a good way?!)

Hi folks, as some of you may remember I was the proud owner of a 2000 Silver NSX until not too long ago.

After having 405hp in a drivable street car I myself, a true NSX lover, would have a hard time buying a new NSX at 290hp. Mind you, this Z06 has no-excuses, face twisting power at any range.

Yet I miss the inimitable NSX VTEC growl and precision!

I love my Z06, and I sure love and miss "my" NSX more than any car, ever.

So, not sure about the point of this post... other than to say that while my Z06 beats my NSX in every measurable category hands-down, I still lust for an NSX and its intangibles.

Oh, and two quick notes to Acura:

1) A 5.7liter v8 Z06, driven *exactly* like a 2000 v6 NSX: Vette 14mpg, NSX 9mpg.
2) Make the next gen close to or over 400hp... this one should be obvious.

Cheers,

Ralph

[This message has been edited by rquintero (edited 20 March 2002).]

How do you get 9 mpg on an NA NSX? If you were to keep the RPMs high and stay in the lowest gear I'd think it'd still be very tough to get that low! Hey maybe that's a new topic! Lowest possible mpg on the street.

I don't know what it is about the viper, but I'd love to have one in addition to the NSX.

Kenric

How do you get 9 mpg on an NA NSX? If you were to keep the RPMs high and stay in the lowest gear I'd think it'd still be very tough to get that low!

Hauling @$$ on the track, I get 9 to 11 mpg.

I don't know what it is about the viper, but I'd love to have one in addition to the NSX.

But would you want one and a Z06?

I couldn't believe the effective MPG I was getting either... still, just not that big a deal.

Why a Viper? They've grown on me quite a bit, lots of fun. I wouldn't have it as my daily driver though.

I came real close to buying a Z06. I borrowed the car for a day from the dealership, and I agree with you on most points. I drove a 2001, which I believe has 20hp less than your 2002.

The Z06 is the best American sports car I have driven hands down (I have only driven a Viper RT/10, which is no comparison).

However, after spending a day in the car and admiring an excellent engine and great suspension & brakes, I was happy to return it an get back in the NSX.

My NSX is quite different than a stock car, however, the "feel" is much more to my liking. With the gears and minor engine mods (at the time), my NSX felt just as fast, though I know this was obviously not true.

Good luck with the Z06, I've recommended the car to several friends.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

I have thought about the Z06 as well. Wouldn't mind having one to toss around at tracks while keeping the garage queen NSX for admiration and weekend mountain runs.

For me NSX ownership is beyond just beind moved physically, but rather emotionally as well.

How have you been, Ralph? I didn't even know that you sold the NSX. I am glad to hear that your family is well!! By the way, I may sell you my NSX actually. I am looking for a 97+ Spa Yellow T with low miles to no avail at all. Once I find it, I will sell you my car. I hate to sell it and was going to keep it tucked away in my garage forever, but I guess it'll help get the new one. I'd love to sell it locally as I would miss it if it were too far away.
wink.gif
Talk to you soon.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

I would imagine everyone who has purchased an NSX has faced the "why" question. In my case two years ago, it was either a "previously owned" NSX or a new C5 Vette.
Why the NSX? I concluded that both cars were great drivers, but I chose the NSX because very few others have one. GM sells, what, 45,000 Vettes each year and they are common almost everywhere. Besides the obvious virtues of an NSX, not seeing yourself coming and going as you drive down the road is a very large plus in my view.

I agree completely. I drove a Z06 before deciding on my NSX. I told the sales guy what my decision process was and the only persuasion the mullet head was capable of was "it's a Corvette". I agree that with almost 50 years of heritage the Corvette is impressive in many ways, but at the end of the day, I chose a '97 NSX over a brand new Z06 and have no regrets whatsoever.

(Sorry about the mullet crack for any of you 80's refugees out there)

id still rather get beat by a vette in my nsx than get beat by a vette in my vette

yeah, i guess its intangible

does anyway else like the road view/seating perspective of the nsx over the vette? that was a big deal for me.

Originally posted by huckster:
does anyway else like the road view/seating perspective of the nsx over the vette? that was a big deal for me.
me too... when I got my first NSX (91 red/ivory), I test-drove a 97 C5, a 94 (?) P911/993 and a 97/98 P986 (Boxster). The NSXs kart-like "road in your lap" perspective, plus the sweet engine sounds and overall chassis feel (handling, solid-ity, etc) did it for me.

Never looked back.

Hey Todd, how've you been? How's the new house?

It'd be great if the timing works out for the both of us when you find a yellow T! I won't be ready until the year & business climate evolves a bit though.

As far as the Z06, the seating position and car dimensions feels really off at the beginning, but after a while one gets used to it and its just fine.

And exclusivity... obviously the NSX takes that one. Yet being so recognizable on daily routes is not necessarily a good thing sometimes.

But I am surprised at one thing: I seem to get more attention in the Z06 than in the NSX... weird, I know.

I am convinced that GM installs a sub-sonic white-trash mating call whistle in these cars...

[This message has been edited by rquintero (edited 06 January 2002).]

Originally posted by rquintero:
Hey Todd, how've you been? How's the new house?
Excellent, thank you!!

It'd be great if the timing works out for the both of us when you find a yellow T! I won't be ready until the year & business climate evolves a bit though.
Sounds like it might work out just right. I might even hang on to it and have both for a while, then sell it when you are ready.

I am convinced that GM installs a sub-sonic white-trash mating call whistle in these cars...
biggrin.gif
Definitely!

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Alright, this is a post hitting on y current dilema. I had a 93 Modded NSX before my current car a 97 Viper GTS. I loved the NSX but longed for more power. Now I have the Viper and long for more precision engineering, etc. There is an NSX in my area that I can get a good deal on. I'm considering getting it and selling the Viper. Or I may keep the Viper. Or, I may just not do either cars since I've owned them both and always like the 993 911's.

I'm thinking I have no use for 2 exotics as I have a 944 Turbo as a daily driver. So I will probably sell the GTS and get either the NSX or 993.

Sven reported:
>>GM sells (about) 45,000 Vettes per year

Actually the number is about half of that for all 3 variants - coupe, targa and convertible.

Back