• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-Files Update: California Speedway

Bleh. I read that DAYS ago and forwarded it to my track buddies already. You raised the bar so high with the vids of you and Dearing and the rare Le Mans F50 that I was a little disappointed in the latest chapter. ;)

Just kidding. Thanks for the update. Oh, and NICE tire wall!

Doh! You're right! First time I've ever brought the laptop to the dinner table. :)

uhh...nice rear end shot on the 360GT! :) Nice breath of fresh air reading nsxfiles after reading all these bs threads on here. Thanks Doug!

-ak

Doug, thanks for sharing your experiences with us - maybe you could also update the best laptime section (you should have some mails from me for that). BTW: Is Jenna not available any more?

I was a bit astonished about your tire pressures. Assuming we both use Yokohama A 005 race slicks I would guess you really run them with too low pressure. The Yokohama Europe guys proposed me to put in 21.75 PSI front (1.5 bar) and 24.65 rear (1.7 bar) when cold. The tires should then heat up to about 30.5 PSI front and 33.35 rear. You may reduce this afterwards to 29 front and 32 rear. Beginning with less cold pressure as written above isn't recommended.

OTOH: I also had an exploded right rear tire at the Dijon straight with over 230 km/h - luckily no further damage.

Nice Write Doug...enjoyable reading that makes me want to get back on the track. We took a little break to catch up on life, which we put aside for the last year and a 1/2 while building the car. Hopefully we can run a couple events together this year. We installed a data aquisition system similar to the one on your cart, but we're still working to get the bugs out of it. I've only used it twice and when I draw the track map it looks nothing like the track I was on..or maybe I'm losing it! Need to get the parameters set right! Look forward to seeing you soon.

NSX-Racer said:

I was a bit astonished about your tire pressures. Assuming we both use Yokohama A 005 race slicks I would guess you really run them with too low pressure. The Yokohama Europe guys proposed me to put in 21.75 PSI front (1.5 bar) and 24.65 rear (1.7 bar) when cold. The tires should then heat up to about 30.5 PSI front and 33.35 rear. You may reduce this afterwards to 29 front and 32 rear. Beginning with less cold pressure as written above isn't recommended.

Yeah, they could have been too cold. I was told to have max 29-30 when hot, so I was just configuring to get them to those temps when hot. I didn't know about a minimum pressure.

Jenna costs me $29 a month, so I didn't pay for it last month. I'm waiting for more people to send in more lap times!

-Doug

AATA said:
I've only used it twice and when I draw the track map it looks nothing like the track I was on..or maybe I'm losing it!

I had the same problem with the kart version.

If the track map doesn't look close, make sure you:

1. Have the data plugs pointing AWAY from you (at least on the kart version)
Or
2. Somewhere in the menu is the option to "flip" or mirror" or "reverse" the track map. This might be better than putting the plugs the opposite direction. Then save it for future reference, and next time you download data to look at it, grab the saved track map, and it automagically puts all the data parameters in the track map. Definitely cool shit, I need one for the NSX.

And make sure you do a "calibration", which is somewhere on the menu, which levels it out to 0 degrees up/down/left/right.

-Doug

Back