• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX = great engine - lousy steering

I have to say you guys have covered this completely
smile.gif

Ken,

You mentioned the statement from TireRack about break-in. Not that I disagree with the theory, but I have 5 miles on my new front Yoko's and the car is tight as can be.

I can agree it will get tighter, but even "new" tires do not feel like what is described above.

So I think:

1. Tire positioning check
2. Tire pressures ALL F&R (could be high)
3. Shock check (drive hard and check if they are hot. (If they are cold, their dead)
4. Suspension/steering check, complete
5. Alignment

Also, are there any aerodynamic body changes on the car? Spoiler, hood scoop? Is the spare in place? (weight) Any changes that may effect the weight distribution? Big monster wing ON THE BACK?
smile.gif

I have to agree with everyone here, the NSX does not have anything vague about it in it's steering if the car is right. I always feel confident that when I point the car it goes the way I think it will.

HTH,
LarryB

What about the front sway bar? Is it installed properly?

The sway bar will make a substantial difference in steering feel. We put Comptech swaybars on our big boat RL and it all of a sudden the steering feels sporty.

I'll bet it is the shocks. Almost all cars with bad shocks feel "Floaty" at high speeds. Typically at normal highway speeds. The NSx is much more stable than your average car and may not feel as floaty until you reach 80+mph, but nonetheless, as mentioned earlier, replace the shocks. And check the bushings. Rubber deteriorates with time.

I've driven my NSX at the track in pouring rain so bad you couldn't see more than 2-3 car lengths in front of you and hit well over 120mph on the front straight (going into a 20mph 90 degree Right hander) and had *NO* stability issues. There is no way the NSX should feel floaty at highway speeds in dry weather.

I have never noted the conditions you stated about your NSX steering issue.my car has 78k and I know I am running on original shocks ..soon to be upgraded to tein ra. but back to the steering.
I was driving in heavy traffic on us 19 where i live.it is a nightmare highway.people have bumper stickers on there rides that state pray for me i commute on us 19.a truck in front of me dropped a water heater off the back 15 yards in front of me(the only thing it had in the back).thats a giant lead for this road.I had to take instant evasive action.i was in the other lane past the water heater and back in my original lane in what seemed like a split second and that included the time to insure i had a clean shot at the other lane. I was amazed at the response,i would never attempt that type of manuver for fun.I dont think i could have pulled that off in any other car ive ever driven.blew my mind.the guy behind me was not so lucky..he ate the water heater.you need to take the guys above advice as yours is not normal for sure.as for the no power steering.i think it tranmits more of the road to you giving awesome feedback to road condition.as for high speed driving i tend not to drive foolish at high speed and test my skill or luck and i have removed much of the front end weight by removing the spare and getting a light battery.i compensated for this with a scooped front hood(yes it really works atleast from what i feel from my car.i see a noticable difference at high speed front end wants to stay down.you may want to look into that after you remedy the current issue.if i bought a newer nsx i think i would remove the ps.its not even there as stated above when you reach a certain mph(dont know what the speedis as i dont have it.good luck fixing the problem but please dont let it sour you on the car.I believe after you get her straked away and set up you will be a very happy camper with the the way she handles.
david

You have a problem with your car. My 91 has 45,000 miles and at 120 mph the wheel does
not shake, shimmy or veer off the road. Its the most precise and solid feeling car that I have driven. I also own a 98 BMW 528 and it drives smooth as well. The manual steering on my NSX is kind of hard to turn when the car is sitting still but no problem when the car is moving. I live the way my 91 handles, even on bumpy roads, it still feels solid. Just my 2 cents worth. Dan

I think a manual steering for NSX is a better choice... I feel the power steering one is a bit over assisted.

Back